Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

For 6MT owners - Skipping 5th...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
For 6MT owners - Skipping 5th...

I want to know if I am the only one skipping gears or not. When I get in the highway I like to catch up to traffic as soon as I can. That takes me from 1st through 4th gear pretty fast. By the time I get to 4th I am at a little over the speed limit and I see no need to engage 5th, so I go straight to 6th to cruise.

Is there anyone else outhere doing the same thing? Would this hurt my car in any way?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
stylez09
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, i do it all the time. If I am doing around 50 in 3rd, then ill shift to 5th or 6th just to cruise. Also, If you are doing some spirited driving and you see a cop, skip a few gears and it will tone down the exhaust note. I've gone from 1st to 3rd, 2nd to 5th...etc. This will not hurt your car, in fact that's what a 6MT gives you the freedom to do, instantly shift to whatever gear you desire....unlike those autotragic trannys
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
it doesn't hurt your car.... where'd you get this idea from?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I go 1st to 3rd to 6th about 75% of my driving time... the other 25% is WOT throttle
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
erasat

Originally Posted by stylez09
....unlike those autotragic trannys
I still don't get the reason of you guys making jokes everytime you have a chance about us driving 5AT.

Hey, if you are lucky enough to not drive in a 1 hour-5 mph-bumper to bumper traffic each way to get to your work and home, and lucky enough to have a wife that drives manual then GREAT for you., but for the rest of us thar are not that lucky we got this great car and are very happy driving it in 5AT, so stop bad taste jokes, after all, is the same car isn't it?, Last time I checked this one came with 330HP also...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
GAMERA30

AHHH....skip shifting. No damage to car in anyway. The gear ratios in the trans are so short if u notice. I had to get used to turning in 3rd instead of 2nd...lol
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
willizm

Originally Posted by erasat
I still don't get the reason of you guys making jokes everytime you have a chance about us driving 5AT.

Hey, if you are lucky enough to not drive in a 1 hour-5 mph-bumper to bumper traffic each way to get to your work and home, and lucky enough to have a wife that drives manual then GREAT for you., but for the rest of us thar are not that lucky we got this great car and are very happy driving it in 5AT, so stop bad taste jokes, after all, is the same car isn't it?, Last time I checked this one came with 330HP also...
us 6mt guys have to get while the getting is good. Next year AT gets 7 compared to our measly 6

I'm just kidding. There are pros to both.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Not only do I routinely skip gears, I often shift without clutching at all. From 1st through 4th this is one of the easier cars I've shifted without clutching. However I do clutch when shifting to 5th and 6th generally because the tranny is not so forgiving for some reason on these gears and I seldom hit it perfectly without grinding at least a little. [/puts on flame suit]
Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
tenfour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i skip gears all the time.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Not only do I routinely skip gears, I often shift without clutching at all. From 1st through 4th this is one of the easier cars I've shifted without clutching. However I do clutch when shifting to 5th and 6th generally because the tranny is not so forgiving for some reason on these gears and I seldom hit it perfectly without grinding at least a little. [/puts on flame suit]
I can do that... and I do it every once in a blue moon just to tell myself i can or when im dead tired....lol... but i wouldnt take a change of doin it alot...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Black Betty
What do you mean you don't clutch?

I skip gears quite often, too...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM
hgunner

Skipping up-shifts at light to moderate throttle will increase your MPG. I think most people do it (even on a 4 speed I do it at light throttle) Many GM 6 speeds have a lockout that forces you skip shifts at light throttle.(GM did it to get better EPA estimates, but I don't think any of there new cars do that).

You can shift out of gear easy (esp. in the G) without clutching but shifting into gear without a clutch is a little tricky and any grinding noise you might hear if you miss-match the revs is your syncros grinding there teeth off (not good). I have done it in the G but avoid it as clutches are MUCH cheaper than transmission rebuilds.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
stylez09
Registered Member

Originally Posted by erasat

Hey man, im just joking! I have only been driving manual for about a month! I just came from a 5AT G35 that i drove for 3.5 years so I have no room to talk. And I totally understand about traffic, luckily I don't have to deal with it now
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stylez09
Hey man, im just joking! I have only been driving manual for about a month! I just came from a 5AT G35 that i drove for 3.5 years so I have no room to talk. And I totally understand about traffic, luckily I don't have to deal with it now
I did the same thing, had a 5AT G35 for 3yrs, then got the 6MT 37. Its more fun when you feel like driving, but when you are tired it suckkkkks
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
GiGGaplease

i do not skip gears. i should go try how is the power from 1st shifting into 3rd for once.

Quick Reply: For 6MT owners - Skipping 5th...