Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Does your 6MT shifter rattles at high rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
ELP_JC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your 6MT shifter rattles at high rpms?

Read about this on an Edmunds review, but hope it was an isolated incident. That's one of the things that bug me a lot on the GTO. Hope it's not a RWD idiosyncrasy, but since most shifters are 'remote' (as not seated right on top of the transmission), and require a lot of moving parts, it's certainly possible.

Anyway, please elaborate all you can. On my car, it rattles depending on engine load and revs. Under heavy throttle it starts around 3800/4K rpms. It used to be well before that, but it was the ****. Now I know is the shifter for sure because I drove it without the **** (replaced under warranty).
The car has so much power I rarely go there, but with the much rev happy VQ37, I want to make sure it's not an issue, because it'd certainly detract from the fun. I'd test drive the car before writing the check, but wouldn't hammer a new engine to find out, hence this post. I've had many RWD (DOHC V8) cars before, but all auto until now.

I just want to make sure it's not a 'normal' issue. Well, it might be for remote shifers, but the G37 seems to have the tranny well forward and below from the ****, which means a linkage and not a remote shifter, right? But that review has me worried. Comments welcome folks. Thx.
JC
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anything rattles on a new car, that is not a good thing. go get that thing fix.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Emon Crew

my shifter rattles at rest, but not much. When I grab it, the rattling is minimal, but I've seen that on every G i've been inside of thus far
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 AM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by Emon Crew
my shifter rattles at rest, but not much. When I grab it, the rattling is minimal, but I've seen that on every G i've been inside of thus far
i think your talking about the vibration, yes the shifter should vibrate but not rattle.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes my shifter rattles too. I believe they all do, it's just the way the car is.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 AM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
i think your talking about the vibration, yes the shifter should vibrate but not rattle.
Correct. Perfectly normal indeed.

I'm talking about rattling NOISE. Problem with my car is shifter is not directly connected to the tranny, so it requires linkages. Seems the G37 is the same way. Any slop and you have a rattle. Just want to make sure it's not a common occurrence on these cars. Thanks for your help.
JC
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 AM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes my shifter rattles too. I believe they all do, it's just the way the car is.
Would you care to elaborate (rpm, throttle opening, HOW LOUD, etc)? Thanks man.

I didn't want to hammer the G37 I test-drove, but got it up to 4,500 rpm briefly, and no rattles. The problem usually arises with larger throttle openings though. And in my car showed up after a few thousand miles.
JC

Last edited by ELP_JC; 02-14-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Would you care to elaborate (rpm, throttle opening, HOW LOUD, etc)? Thanks man.

I didn't want to hammer the G37 I test-drove, but got it up to 4,500 rpm briefly, and no rattles. The problem usually arises with larger throttle openings though. And in my car showed up after a few thousand miles.
JC
Actually I should have been more precise, it doesn't rattle, it only vibrates. No noise at all. Just vibration that varies with the engine RPM. Not enough to even concern me.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Actually I should have been more precise, it doesn't rattle, it only vibrates. No noise at all. Just vibration that varies with the engine RPM. Not enough to even concern me.
Whew!! You scared me for a moment. Thanks for the clarification. Take care.
JC
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
DetroitG37Joe

my shifter vibrates but thats a normal G thing. theres even a youtube video on it. so was this post just about the vibration which is more a visual thign than it is about any audible rattle???
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
theres even a youtube video on it. so was this post just about the vibration which is more a visual thign than it is about any audible rattle???
I don't care about vibration at all (they all do that); just don't want any NOISE from the shifter rattling.
Hey, where's that youtube video you talk about? Or just a key word so I don't have to search forever. Thanks.
JC
Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I don't care about vibration at all (they all do that); just don't want any NOISE from the shifter rattling.
Hey, where's that youtube video you talk about? Or just a key word so I don't have to search forever. Thanks.
JC
I think this is the one. I've driven MT all my 26 driving years but this G throw shifter sure vibrates a lot in neutral more than others. If you hear rattle noise coming out of it I don't think that's normal. At what speed/rpm/gear do you get that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOo6C5u2Ppw
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
XenChi

)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My shift **** vibrates but does not make any sound. It vibrates alot more than any Honda MT I've ever owned but it is not a big deal to me....
Old 02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really? I think my shifter vibrates just like any other I've driven. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I've gone up to 5500rpm and it felt fine. I'll pay more attention to it next time. But as far as "rattling noise," I don't have that at all.

Quick Reply: Does your 6MT shifter rattles at high rpms?