Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Something underneath the rear section of car rattling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctc0503
yo did you end up taking yours in? i have the SAME EXACT issue with my AB g in the morning when i start it up but it goes away after about 3 minutes of sitting idle. i bought mine at the fin of chantilly but live right around the corner from passport......
I was actually waiting for Ahujadaddy to get back to me. I really do not want to leave the car at the dealer and get a run around for trying to duplicate the problem. My car is weird, it will do it sometimes, and other times I will not hear it. I want to go to passport and get it fixed (Jeff Tanner is a great service guy) but, I live closer to Sheehy in Annapolis. Really undecided here. Arrrgggg I am off for three days next week, I will probably just set up an appointment with Sheehy and see if they can fix the problem and check out my clutch to make sure my newbie skills haven't damaged anything lol.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM
NemesisG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started getting this exhaust noise too...sounds like a saw cutting threw metal and then it goes away after it warms up.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 AM
NemesisG37

so i went to the dealership today...they took a look at it and apparently something broke inside the exhaust. I tried to ask what it was in specific but the service reps have no clue what theyre talking about.

They ordered the part and i am to come in sometime next week.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisG37
so i went to the dealership today...they took a look at it and apparently something broke inside the exhaust. I tried to ask what it was in specific but the service reps have no clue what theyre talking about.

They ordered the part and i am to come in sometime next week.
which dealership is this?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
NemesisG37

Miller in Van Nuys
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, looks like this is a problem with almost all first run G37s. My dealer confirmed that it rattled at all RPMs even when hot. I was blown away that they actually took the time and had the honesty to go, "Yep. It's rattling alright."

They replaced cats back and no mo problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting...wheni first turn my car on in the cold the exhaust just kinda rumbles a little louder but like an exhaust seemingly normally would - then quiets down in like 2-3 mins when the car warms - but it sounds more sexy than a problem - is this normal or the issue you guys are having?

I dont know if this muffler/exhaust issue is across the board as universal as the rear axle ping/chirp? Is it?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
bsshoomez

I am having the same issue as well; has anyone dealt with JBA in Ellicott City about this?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DetroitG37Joe:

My repaired exhaust acts exactly as you describe. It is very sexy sounding when first started then settles down gradually after probably 30 seconds or so. It is not a rattle just throat-y. Love it.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedHerring
DetroitG37Joe:

My repaired exhaust acts exactly as you describe. It is very sexy sounding when first started then settles down gradually after probably 30 seconds or so. It is not a rattle just throat-y. Love it.
RedHerring:

Well I guess good news for me is that the nasty rattle is not an issue, or at least not YET. I hope my car dodged that problem - if not I know what the problem is. Glad your muffler is purring for you pal! cheers!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
NemesisG37

I think this will be a recall for our cars.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Romeo Xray

How many miles did your G37 have before you noticed the muffler rattling noise?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 AM
bsshoomez

I noticed the noise at like 1k and i have 3.5k now and its just getting worse. I have an appt. with JBA(MD) on Thursday next week to get it looked at we will see what the hell they say.

I want them to replace the joker cause a repaired muff. aint going to work for me....
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
NemesisG37

What most of you are experiencing is just normal extra loud rumble do to higher rpms on a cold start....this is NOT an issue and has nothing to do with that.

The sound on the broken exhaust that of a saw cutting threw metal....If you have it youll know.

My exhaust broke somewhere around 800 miles...i have 950 now, just waiting for the new section of the exhaust to come in.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Ahujadaddy

Originally Posted by leeI35G35
I was actually waiting for Ahujadaddy to get back to me. I really do not want to leave the car at the dealer and get a run around for trying to duplicate the problem. My car is weird, it will do it sometimes, and other times I will not hear it. I want to go to passport and get it fixed (Jeff Tanner is a great service guy) but, I live closer to Sheehy in Annapolis. Really undecided here. Arrrgggg I am off for three days next week, I will probably just set up an appointment with Sheehy and see if they can fix the problem and check out my clutch to make sure my newbie skills haven't damaged anything lol.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! Crap. I haven't logged in here in like 2 weeks or more, crazyness i know.
If you haven't already, take ur car to Annapolis, Ed the Service guy knows me... and actually... let me just PM you all this. They wont give u the run around.

PM'ed!

Quick Reply: Something underneath the rear section of car rattling.