Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Effects of using regular gas in G37??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait till you need new brakes....(especially if you have the Sport package).
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
pensfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An 11.0:1 compression ratio? Highest octane I can get at the pump, please.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 PM
ABQG35c

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
This subject always cracks me up, especially when it comes from someone who has opted to obtain a performance car. Just do the math and see if your concerns are warranted. Assuming 30 cents more a gallon for premium (probably not really that much) and assuming you drive 10,000 miles a year and get 20 mpg, that comes to 500 gallons of gas. So 500 gallons at 30 cents more per gallon comes to $150. Do you really want to downgrade the potential performance of you car so that you can save $150 per year?

Doug
You know what cracks me up too? Is when people asking this question... just got done paying $40k+ for a vehicle, and are worried about 2-3 dollars extra to fill up with Premium over Regular.

The car is Premium Only! It was tuned for Premium only, use Premium Only!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pensfan
An 11.0:1 compression ratio? Highest octane I can get at the pump, please.
WHY? not asking to be "smart". I just don't know.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM
pensfan

Originally Posted by shumby
WHY? not asking to be "smart". I just don't know.
The higher the compression ratio (and 11.0:1 is definitely on the high end), the greater the possibility that detonation ("engine knock") might occur. Detonation occurs when the air/fuel mixture ignites suddenly rather than gradually. Imagine normal combustion as the flame gradually spreading throughout the unburned mixture. With detonation, some of unburned mixture is hot enough and at a high enough pressure that it can spontaneously ignite, before the flame ever reaches it. This causes the pressure to rise even higher and a wave to form and bounce around in the cylinder, resulting in a pinging noise, interruption to the combustion cycle, and greater stress on the engine itself.

This is where the octane rating comes in to play. The higher the octane rating, the more resistant the fuel is to detonation. I'm a little fuzzy on the actual how/why of this part, so hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Thanks makes sense now.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Explanation of octane rating by howstuffworks.com: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by likwidfuzion
Explanation of octane rating by howstuffworks.com: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
god i love that site.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
PlatinumGish

Originally Posted by t-bone1924
Thanks for the responses. If the G requires it, premium it will get!

Saving money was not the main issue for my question--wasting money was. I have owned several other high performance cars, all of which were far more expensive than the G37, which called for premium fuel. In all cases, regular did the job just fine albeit a little less mileage per tank, mainly because the computer adjusted for the lower octane.

Man, I couldn't help but post a reply to this.. it erk's me when someone purchases a car that performance oriented, (like the G) and wants to pinch pennies when it comes down to maintaining it. You paid for a 40k car that requires permium gas.. you should have accepted that prior to making the purchase. I dont really see how your really saving that much money if you realize that you end up getting "a little less mileage per tank." So the maybe, ummm, $150 a year that you would be saving if you actually got the same mileage as using premium turns into a $75 - 100 savings. In return, you get a car that doesnt perform up to the way it was built to and possible ping and knock problems in the long run... then you end up spending even more money later on to fix that.. lol.. Ok, lemme stop.. I can go on and on.. I just don't understand that way of thinking.. lol
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Memphoman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
running reg gas is like drinking Coors light...WHY???
The following users liked this post:
LexiG37 (04-29-2015)
Old 09-19-2007, 10:26 PM
ABQG35c

Originally Posted by Memphoman
running reg gas is like drinking Coors light...WHY???
Best comparison yet to date! Memphoman FTW!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatinumGish
Man, I couldn't help but post a reply to this.. it erk's me when someone purchases a car that performance oriented, (like the G) and wants to pinch pennies when it comes down to maintaining it. You paid for a 40k car that requires permium gas.. you should have accepted that prior to making the purchase. I dont really see how your really saving that much money if you realize that you end up getting "a little less mileage per tank." So the maybe, ummm, $150 a year that you would be saving if you actually got the same mileage as using premium turns into a $75 - 100 savings. In return, you get a car that doesnt perform up to the way it was built to and possible ping and knock problems in the long run... then you end up spending even more money later on to fix that.. lol.. Ok, lemme stop.. I can go on and on.. I just don't understand that way of thinking.. lol
I am with you.. but I think the OP was not thinking of it like that.. He was just askign if it was "required" or "recommended"
LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
ABQG35c

Well the way I see it is, on any Premium gas vehicle, on the gauges, it says PREMIUM FUEL ONLY... I just don't get why a question like this would arise on a vehicle of this type...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Mad Paradox
"No Compromise"

Not to be mean but I would like to see someone post something up saying that they filled up the G with regular and destroyed their engine. Turn that post into a sticky and relate back to it whenever someone asks...
Old 10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
The Old Man

The main reason for the premium is the new 3.7 motor is 11.0-1 compression ratio (up .4).
When you run a comp. that high, you need to run premium fuel.

Quick Reply: Effects of using regular gas in G37??