ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Help Ecutek, Visconti vs local tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Awgd8
I have a 2015 Q40 awd 7A/T that tuned by Visconti in 2015. I did a street tune at 500 miles . LOL! John did an awsome tune on mine, but he no longer answered my email.
My DD tune is # 4 which is the most aggressive and I've been using that for 2 years now with no problem. (93 shell gas )

If I have to do it again, I'll try Seb (Sebastian) from specialty Z. His tune comes with Throttle hijack unlike Visconti. I already have a tune from Visconti, but Seb charges $200 to retune mine if I decided to have throttle hijack. So I'll start from scratch and do some street logging.
AMNQV had both Sebastian and Visconti tune on his long gone car. He said Seb tune is night and day due to the additional throttle response via throttle hijack tune, but I believe he did have minor issue with Sebastian tune. I not sure if that was resolved.

Also, the reason why he tried Seb after Visconti tuned his car was Visconti's tuned is a bit conservative on the higher RPM. It pulls back the timing and not utilizing it's potential. Also the throttle hijack is a must!

Sadly, AMNVQ moved to the dark side. ( BMW 335)

Hey man, I still check now and then( Should have stayed cars a nightmare)

I did have both and Seb's was VERY different, the issue I was chasing with him was false KR from the headers. The Added noise was causing issues. Right be for I traded it ( 102k) miles the car was running Great. Just IMO the throttle Hijeck and being able to break tq and launch in a AWD and the throttle acting like drive by wire is worth doing a return. Seb's tunes are A+ and he as a person is the same. Honest polite smart.
The following users liked this post:
Awgd8 (10-29-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ

I did have both and Seb's was VERY different, the issue I was chasing with him was false KR from the headers. The Added noise was causing issues. Right be for I traded it ( 102k) miles the car was running Great. Just IMO the throttle Hijeck and being able to break tq and launch in a AWD and the throttle acting like drive by wire is worth doing a return. Seb's tunes are A+ and he as a person is the same. Honest polite smart.
So you had Visconti’s? What was your take away? Trying to see if the cost of switching is justified. Keep in mind I am a 6 speed.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

How's the 335? N54 or N55?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:50 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Jonesmeister11-- I did have Visconti, tune was good, But Seb's is better. IMO not buy a little, The drove completely different and pulled HARD. I paid to make the change and it was worth every penny. I have a tread on here were I made a lot more WHP just from going ti Seb's tune. You will not be disappointed- The TQ table for shifting Seb uses is AWESOME. Shifts were VERY firm!

kroy

Hey man N55, But haven't had it in two weeks. Sitting at the dealer with metal flakes in the oil, and using 1+ quart every 800 miles( Motor time). If I could go back I would have stayed with a G. Not really happy with it. Since Dec last year, had oil issues, water pump went, valve cover and PVC was replaced. Glad a bought a warrenty
Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Jonesmeister11-- I did have Visconti, tune was good, But Seb's is better. IMO not buy a little, The drove completely different and pulled HARD. I paid to make the change and it was worth every penny. I have a tread on here were I made a lot more WHP just from going ti Seb's tune. You will not be disappointed- The TQ table for shifting Seb uses is AWESOME. Shifts were VERY firm!

kroy

Hey man N55, But haven't had it in two weeks. Sitting at the dealer with metal flakes in the oil, and using 1+ quart every 800 miles( Motor time). If I could go back I would have stayed with a G. Not really happy with it. Since Dec last year, had oil issues, water pump went, valve cover and PVC was replaced. Glad a bought a warrenty
Hope they gave you a cool loaner.

I came from a 08 335i and 10 335d, both e90's. Super fun cars, especially the 335i. But I would never buy a BMW without warranty. That's actually why I decided to go with the G, I wanted the reliability I didn't have the BMW.

Every time, I would write off like 3-5K worth of maintenance/repair for stuff just like what you're listing. Thankfully all under warranty. I really didn't want to deal with that on a long term basis.

I really, really miss the heavy steering though. That's the one thing I miss the most. Also why I just got the G. New BMWs have electric steering and older MY will have a lot of reliability issues.
ANMVQ (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kroy
Hope they gave you a cool loaner.

I came from a 08 335i and 10 335d, both e90's. Super fun cars, especially the 335i. But I would never buy a BMW without warranty. That's actually why I decided to go with the G, I wanted the reliability I didn't have the BMW.

Every time, I would write off like 3-5K worth of maintenance/repair for stuff just like what you're listing. Thankfully all under warranty. I really didn't want to deal with that on a long term basis.

I really, really miss the heavy steering though. That's the one thing I miss the most. Also why I just got the G. New BMWs have electric steering and older MY will have a lot of reliability issues.
Cool loaner, EH? X1-S not bad but FWD= Tire spin :/ Kinda fun but not good when trying to jump into traffic. I'm thinking when I get it back I'll sell it and just buy a G again, I have always like the 06's but we'll see
Old 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM
kroy
Registered Member

lmao. i enjoyed most the loaners. just an opportunity to try out different cars.

06's? G35? I always loved how they looked.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It’s great to hear from you Mike!
Sorry about the Bimmer issue you end up with.
Are you going back to Q50 TT in the future?

I’m still stuck with John’s Ecutek tune and still undecided if i have to spend $ for a retune with Seb. My lease on the Q40 is up in 9 months and I’m still undecided
If I’ll go for the V8 (18 Camaro SS or GT 5.0, but this is a DD car and worried about WI winter) or the TT (Q50) .

BTW, Ecutek bluetooth dongle ($350) is out and now you guys can use your Android or iOS phone as a viewing screen and setup parameters.
You can aslo customise any parameter to change color or screen flash when you setup a desired value such as RPM shift point.
That’s my issue when pulling on manual mode, I sometimes bounced the rev limiter and lose momentum. That Bluetooth dongle looks fun to have!

And here’s John V.

ANMVQ (11-10-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Four maps with EcuTek tune, swapped by the Cruise Control switch while Cruise Control is off? So that's how you switch maps. GTK.

How would you describe the typical collection of maps?

91 Octane highway cruiser
91 Octane Max performance
93 Octane Max performance
Valet Mode
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Idk about others, but Visconti only gave me two maps, including valet map. So I got one custom map. 😑
Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Awgd8 hey man! Might be picking up a 2014 Q50 with 33k tomorrow, BMW is out going out the door.
I wanted the 3.0T but paying cash for the car and the wife and I are opening a business in January so that kinda $$ is out for a while. The Q50 is only costing me 12k .

I just emailed Seb I'll ask about the I-Phone Bluetooth thingy, would be nice to not worry about dragging my laptop downstairs
Old 11-10-2017, 08:31 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Idk about others, but Visconti only gave me two maps, including valet map. So I got one custom map. 😑

I had 5 maps with Seb , I could have had a race gas map but chose to have the "no start" map instead.

DD
Cold Agressive
Hot aggressive
Valet mode
( Kill)-No Start
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 PM
kroy
Registered Member

lol Welcome back ANMVQ.

Do you think you will miss the bmw's power?

I think I would be pretty happy with the updated q50 interior though.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Hey man thanx!

I'll miss the over 400 WHTRQ, But to be able to drive the car, will be much nicer
Old 11-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

I had 5 maps with Seb , I could have had a race gas map but chose to have the "no start" map instead.

DD
Cold Agressive
Hot aggressive
Valet mode
( Kill)-No Start
Yeah I will most likely be having a reflash from seb by EOY. Not having multiple maps is not really that cool. Only reason I’m not mad, I got a hell of a deal, so maybe that’s why it was cheaper. Oh well! I’ll still come out ahead paying both!