ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Has anybody tuned with Kozmic Motorsports in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Has anybody tuned with Kozmic Motorsports in Houston?

So...

A quick background information. My current mods are Takeda long tubes, Motordyne E370 intake plenum, Motordyne ART pipes, & ARK performance catback.

I had been tuned with JTRAN Motorsports' ECUtek software (316whp on their Dynojet) with all the mods listed above except the Motordyne E370 plenum. Shortly after that tune, a group of friends and I had a dyno day at another shop called EngineLogics (Mustang dyno) and we all just had 3 pulls each just to see what numbers we were making with their equipment. I had made 282HP and 224TQ. Let me say this, the car felt amazing after Johnny's tune.

Now recently, since I had installed my new Motordyne E370 plenum, I decided it was time for a retune since I thought it was necessary. From a butt dyno, I could definitely feel the increase in torque and noticed that RPM's would rise significantly quicker than before the plenum install.

Now for those who don't know, JTRAN is leaving the public and only continuing their performance work with only a "private list." I had heard about this and thought I'd try my luck and ask him through FB messenger if he could do a retune for me anyway and he agreed. He told me he would put me on this "list" and that he would let me know. I asked how much he would charge me and replied back with a number. We agreed upon that number and so I waited for his reply on when he could schedule me for a tune. A week later he said he'd let me know soon. I waited another week, and asked him again when he could find some time for me. Another week passes by and still no reply. So I decided I guess I wasn't really put on this "list" and found Kozmic Motorsports. A Z owner had recommended me to try them out so I decided, why not? From their AWD Mustang dyno, the car made 262HP and 214TQ. I thought to myself that seemed kind of low and thought maybe it was just because it was tuned on an AWD dyno. After the tune I drove the car home. I definitely felt a difference. But that difference wasn't very positive in my opinion because I noticed my car would take a lot longer to rise in RPM and MPH. After a few more days of driving I thought to myself, "This couldn't have made better numbers at all." So I decided to schedule an appointment for three dyno pulls back at EngineLogics. Sure enough I made the similar numbers on their Two-wheel dyno. Only difference is by 1-2 digits. I looked back on the chart from when my group of friends held that dyno day and looked at the numbers my friend with a Stock G37 made. Same exact numbers. So I'm wondering, why is it that I'm tuned but making the same numbers as a stock G37? I had called Kozmic Motorsports and they told me they did all they could do with my tune. So I figured maybe their tuner isn't all that? Or maybe because of the intake plenum? I'm not too sure but I'm leaning more towards the tuner being the issue.

Has anybody had experience with Kozmic Motorsports as far as Dyno Tuning and how was it? My options now are to just find an e-tuner or switch to uprev and get tuned by somebody else. I feel really disappointed since I feel like I've wasted money on this "tune".
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I can't help with reviews on Kozmic, but if you need an E-tune, Seb at Specialty Z gets people going right.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Waste86
I can't help with reviews on Kozmic, but if you need an E-tune, Seb at Specialty Z gets people going right.
Emailed him already. Waiting on reply.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
So JTran's essentially only going to work on cars where the owner is willing to spend big bucks. Sounds like a gimmick.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
So JTran's essentially only going to work on cars where the owner is willing to spend big bucks. Sounds like a gimmick.
Apparently they claim to want to take their time with their builds and not have to worry about getting rushed. Or at least that's what I got out of it.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I can certainly understand if they want to move up. The whole "list" thing just sounds a bit stupid. They're a private company serving the public whether there's a list or not. Assuming they'll just not take any job from here on out, similar to what SP Engineering did.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I can certainly understand if they want to move up. The whole "list" thing just sounds a bit stupid. They're a private company serving the public whether there's a list or not. Assuming they'll just not take any job from here on out, similar to what SP Engineering did.
They still have their collision shop open to the "public" but I'm just like damn...how would you agree to retune my car and then leave me hanging? Now I'm struggling to find a reliable shop that can tune with ecutek locally.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 AM
Leaveatrail86

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmajd92
They still have their collision shop open to the "public" but I'm just like damn...how would you agree to retune my car and then leave me hanging? Now I'm struggling to find a reliable shop that can tune with ecutek locally.
Heard about this too. Freaking sucks because i had them in mind for a tune soon, but now..i guess not. Gonna' be looking for a reputable tuner as well. Let us know who you end up going to!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

So guys! I removed the Motordyne plenum and installed the stock one back on. Went back to Kozmic and they were able to, not only retain the 282whp I had made with JTRAN's tune, but increase the power even more to 295! So yeah...
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
^ Hey J good to hear you are satisfied with what you got from Kozmic. I have a friend who had his motor built by Ron paired with the same AAM that I have. His tune is, in my opinion, not adequate and is more suited for a stock block. After seeing the results he got from Kozmic I wouldn't recommend them to any VQ owner.

It is unfortunate that Jtran closed the tuning shop to the public, but it appears they are trying refocus on what their passion is/was. Coincidentally I started tuning my car on my own on Uprev so I have a path moving forward.

But if you, or anyone else in the Houston area, may be looking for another tuner - Moncef from AdminTuning/TheAdministration recently moved to the Houston area. I've spoken to him a few times recently and believe he is quite competent. But as I haven't had him tune my car take this with a grain of salt since YMMV.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ttv36
^ Hey J good to hear you are satisfied with what you got from Kozmic. I have a friend who had his motor built by Ron paired with the same AAM kit I got. His tune was, in my opinion, abysmal and suited for a stock block. After seeing the results he got from Kozmic I wouldn't recommend them to any VQ owner.

It is unfortunate that Jtran closed the tuning shop to the public, but it appears they are trying refocus on what their passion is/was. Coincidentally I started tuning my car on my own on Uprev so I have a path moving forward.

But if you, or anyone else in the Houston area, may be looking for another tuner - Moncef from AdminTuning/TheAdministration recently moved to the Houston area. I've spoken to him a few times recently and believe he is quite competent. But as I haven't had him tune my car take this with a grain of salt since YMMV.
Thanks Tony. They had a guy named Mike fly in from Florida to tune my car on ecutek. Idk about Boosted VQ but N/A I think Mike can handle that for sure. I'm familiar with Moncef. I've been hearing good things from him. Only thing is he does street tunes and Uprev. I didn't wanna pay for a license for uprev since I already have an ecutek so I chose kozmic.

Last edited by xmajd92; 03-25-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by xmajd92
Thanks Tony. They had a guy named Mike fly in from Florida to tune my car on ecutek. Idk about Boosted VQ but N/A I think Mike can handle that for sure. I'm familiar with Moncef. I've been hearing good things from him. Only thing is he does street tunes and Uprev. I didn't wanna pay for a license for uprev since I already an ecutek so I chose kozmic.
I've seen Moncef has tuned on various dynos around the area, but I understand you wanting to stay with Ecutek - it seems to be a better tuning software overall. I need to find out if Ecutek allows for self/amateur tuning, would be fun to learn that as well!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

EcuTek doesn't allow for self-tunes. I know UpRev stepped up with an update and I'm really, really hoping EcuTek comes through and allows self-tuning in the future. UpRev is getting closer to offering an identical product in performance but with more features like self tuning.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:44 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Ditched the Motordyne M370 and got a ported stock plenum from Z1. Tune next Saturday. Let's see what the porting squeezes out from Kozmic.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Another option for ECUTek is DDPR in Sealy, I've been happy with them.