ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

EcuTek map options, what's everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
EcuTek map options, what's everyone running?

Curious how everyone has their maps set up via EcuTek.

The throttle hijack seems to really put a dent in gas mileage, even when cruising, so I have maps set up with a less aggressive throttle curve.

Due to the heat levels found round my neck of the woods, I also have a hot weather and "cool" weather map. Four maps total plus valet mode.
1-Hot Weather, normal throttle, performance TC with VDC OFF
2-Hot Weather, aggressive throttle, performance TC with VDC OFF
3-Cool Weather, normal throttle, performance TC with VDC OFF
4-Cool Weather, aggressive throttle, performance TC with VDC OFF

I debated having an "economy" map, even the stock map in position 1 as my gas mileage was fairly decent if I wasn't hooning it everywhere I had a chance to. But the thought of not having the improvements brought about by parts/tuning all the time didn't sit well with me. And the performance TC is much better than VDC so I'd prefer to have access to that on every map as well. I'll use the VDC when it's particularly nasty out.

How is yours set up?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I'll post on this one when I get my final tune. I'm hoping for a variation of these maps (drag/roll race/time attack/valet)

I'll definitely have the tuner look into the per-gear rev limit, traction control, launch control, and boost control on each to set it up nicely.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Would like to hear your description of throttle hikack, Ape.

Having a hot weather map really isn't a need in Western NY, so I'm trying to wrap my head around EcuTek map configurations that would work for me when working with the tuner. I'm thinking valet, DD at 91 octane, and a performance map at 93.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Throttle hijack simply moves WOT up earlier in the pedal's travel. The OEM throttle, untouched, has a pretty wide range, let's say from 0 (closed throttle) to 10 (WOT) with the pedal actually pressed against the floorboard. The throttle hijack compresses the range from 0 (closed throttle) to whatever number you'd like. So if you go for a super aggressive throttle hijack, that 0-10 range might get compressed to 0-5. You hit WOT sooner in the pedal's travel and in fact, every throttle percentage gets pushed closer to closed throttle. You have, essentially, less modulation.

In fact, the modulation is all there, it just takes far less pedal travel to hit any throttle value whether it be 30% throttle or 100% throttle.

I hated it at first and asked for the two maps with the lower throttle hijack value. I did get used to it and kept it on the higher throttle hijack settings in the months prior to selling the car. It did take a while and there were times, especially in the wet, when I appreciated more fine throttle modulation ability. It really necessitates recalibration of your right foot motor skills. And it does make day to day driving seem more peppy and responsive.

In short, I hated it at first and loved it in the end.

As far as map selection, that's a pretty personal choice. Valet is standard I believe. If 93 isn't readily available, I could see a lower octane map but that'll necessitate actually tuning with the lower octane otherwise you're just guessing as to what sort of timing the engine needs with lower fuel. You don't want to guess.

If it never gets above 95 degrees, no need for a hot map. You can drive around on the cooler weather map above 95 degrees, just don't go flooring it to redline repeatedly. Never understood why the temp table couldn't just compensate but maybe the range isn't there.

I did want a daily driver (economy) map at first but I learned to control my right foot and I was getting pretty decent gas mileage on my daily commute. I'd go through a bit over 1/3 tank a week on average. Now? If I really try, I can get by on a bit over half a tank but realistically it's 3/4 of a tank (or the whole tank if I'm hooning it). Thank god gas is cheap right now.

So 20/20 hindsight, I would have had two maps, the hot and cold weather performance maps. You have a manual, correct? I think you have an option for launch control or something of that nature.

And traction control! I don't know what my settings were (non adjustable on our cars but adjustable on the 370z) but loved the ECUtek's TC. You might have to experiment or see if your tuner offers the bluetooth dongle. You can adjust it yourself with an iPhone that way.

Last edited by Ape Factory; 11-10-2017 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ape Factory:
ANMVQ (11-10-2017), Rochester (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Good man, Ape. ANMVQ and I just had this "throttle hijak" discussion in another tuning thread. Essentially, it's the Sprint Booster trick, where the curve of the throttle signal is front-loaded. It doesn't really make your car any more responsive to the pedal, it just changes how the ECU responds to the signal from the pedal travel. In other words, it's a perception mod. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think I understand this now. Actually had a SB on my old Maxima like 8 years ago, so I know what that's like. It was a fun little toy, and I enjoyed it while it lasted. (After a few months, the retention clip broke on the damn thing, and wouldn't stay on anymore.)

But like I said to ANMVQ, real low-end response is already freakishly snappy with the new rear gears. In other words, I'm thinking "throttle hijack" isn't an attractive option for me and my car.

[edit] Oh hey, you just edited the bejeezus out of that comment. LOL

I'm coming around to only needing/wanting two maps as well. DD and Aggressive. And based on the advice from you guys, I could just accept 93 octane all day long. I drive the car so little, and I'm not pinching pennies, that the added cost is negligible. Real, for sure, just negligible.

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
You have a manual, correct?
It was the reason I bought this car. Slushbox was not an option for me.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you should at least have a performance map with throttle hijack just in case.

I only have 4 maps. Hot weather, cold weather, race and valet. Sebastian tuned me for mild throttle hijack. Took me a while to get used to but my right foot is a bit more sensitive now. I like it more than dislike it now.