ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Review ECUTEK E-Tune by Seb at SpecialtyZ

Old 12-09-2016, 12:24 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up ECUTEK E-Tune by Seb at SpecialtyZ

Hi All,

It was time for me to drop on a tune to tie in my current bolt on modifications.

Decided to take a leap and drop on ECUTEK and get tuned by Seb over at SpecialtyZ.

Current modifications to date:
-MXP Catback Exhaust Stainless Steel
-Z1 HFC - 300CPSI
-Takeda Long Tube Cold Air Intake

I do have other modifications planned for the future.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Communication:
-Customer Service at SpecialtyZ is spectacular. Ordered from them Saturday and received Wednesday.

-Seb truly cares for his customers. Responds within 24 hours and answers/explains any questions you may have.

-There was a slight problem. Being that I have a Q60, ECUTEK had the racerom file but Seb did not have my Stock Rom Dump from ECUTEK. Email was sent Friday and received a response early Monday morning with my basetune.

-Overall, Customer Service is solid.

What Comes with the ECUTEK Kit:
-Flash Cable
-Security DESKEY that is needed to access the ECUTEK Program
-License
-ECUTEK Decal
-SpecialtyZ Decal
-Get started guide to setting up the program.

Impressions:

-I prompted for the 93 Tune. YMMV with other Octanes available in your area.

-Seb Provided two tunes to start off.
Map 1 - Base Tune
Map 2 - Performance 93 Tune
Map 8 - Valet Mode

-Throttle Response: is a solid 10/10. No lag at all. Easy to get used to and is progressive in its behavior in how it acts. No more dead spots in the throttle at all.

Auto Shifting:

-Lets be honest, the 7AT is pretty eh in its behavior. Shifts are lackluster and the response is somewhat subpar. ECUTEK pretty much changes everything about the behavior of the 7AT.

-Crisp Shifts. No more hesitation at all.

-Shifts are quick and precise.

-Manual Mode is 10x more response then stock. Paddles are instant and the
shifting will jolt you back in your seat.

-The shift logic is much improved as well. Paired with the throttle response improvements, the regular D mode is crisp and not lazy. You put your foot down and it will give you the gear you need.

Hows the Tune?

-Seb is bang on with the tune. AFRs are all on point and is rock solid.

-Edit: Forgot to mention: The tuning is done through datalogging. You send specific parameters to Seb and he sends you a revised tune to datalog further. Once he sees the tune is all said and done, he will send you a final revision of the tune.

-It pulls like crazy. After 4000 RPM is when the tuning really shines. Pulls all the way to 7600 and when shifting, will immediately put you in the next gear and into the meat of the power band.

Throttle Hijack:

-This is a request made to Seb to include in the final revision of the tune.

-Drop into the map that its set on, for me its map 3. Turn off traction control.

-Holding the brake peddle and gas will initiate a burnout to occur.

-If you placed it into first gear and floor it, it will break traction easily. Prior to the tune, I wouldn't slip at all with 285 tires. Now, Im breaking traction with 285s from 1st gear and into second quote easily with throttle hijack.

Overall: Really grateful for the guys over at SpecialtyZ for setting up the tune and giving me a tune that blew my expectations.

Highly Recommend the guys over at SpecialtyZ for anything G or Z related.

Last edited by InfiniteSmoke; 12-09-2016 at 12:58 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by InfiniteSmoke:
ANMVQ (12-23-2016), G37xMN (02-06-2020), machomike8 (12-10-2016), Presto (12-09-2016), Redlinemac (11-09-2019), StaySyk (01-18-2017), WillCo1 (01-13-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
That's is awesome I might go that route as well! I'm ready for a tune is it plug and play or do you have to like set it up and do some pulls for him for the data logging?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:57 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
That's is awesome I might go that route as well! I'm ready for a tune is it plug and play or do you have to like set it up and do some pulls for him for the data logging?
Done through data logging. Pretty simple overall. He asks for certain parameters to log and you send the logs to him.

Once he sees the tune is all set and done, he will send you the final revision of the tune.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Hoping to purchase a tune late next week if my traction issues are solved with meatier rubber and a better alignment. Otherwise the money's going towards a wavetrac LSD. From the sound of it, I'll need one regardless. Thanks for the write up!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:59 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Hoping to purchase a tune late next week if my traction issues are solved with meatier rubber and a better alignment. Otherwise the money's going towards a wavetrac LSD. From the sound of it, I'll need one regardless. Thanks for the write up!
For sure man! Essentially, if you drive it normal, it will act normal. Its when you want to have fun that it really kicks out.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:54 PM
machomike8
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome review. Thanks for sharing! I've been kicking around the idea of a tune for awhile now. Everything I've heard about Seb is awesome. Thanks for confirming this once again. Congrats!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:51 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Originally Posted by machomike8
Awesome review. Thanks for sharing! I've been kicking around the idea of a tune for awhile now. Everything I've heard about Seb is awesome. Thanks for confirming this once again. Congrats!
Appreciate it man! Seb is an ace of a tuner. He will get you going in no time!

Plus now the guys at SpecialtyZ are offering the ECUTEK Connect Bluetooth Adapter to log off your iPhone.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:13 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
He really is, I wish he did BMW's also. The tune he had on my G was crazy!! HIjack FTW if you auto, my car made great and consistent power all the time. A++ tuner and he's very good people!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM
914VQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long does data logging usually take until you get the final tune?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
I got my 4.08 Gear and Pinion through Sebastian at Specialty-Z. Seb is a very stand up guy and very honest.

Specialty-Z has been working on Zs and Gs for many years.

After I get my intake installed, I will be getting tuned from Seb.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:08 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Seb is the only one ill let work on my car.. next year i'll be back to modding the car again..bought a new house so put the car on the back burner for now..
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Originally Posted by 914VQ
How long does data logging usually take until you get the final tune?
About a week or so. Have to get multiple logs of different fuel maps and send them out to him so we can adjust fueling, timing, VVEL, and monitor how your engine is responding to the remap.

In addition, if you have a 7AT, you can have Seb adjust the response of the 7AT until you find a sweet spot during the datalogging sessions.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Wangstas863

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the total $$ cost? I'm planning this as well. Wish there was some1 local in south Florida that does ecutek...
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangstas863
What's the total $$ cost? I'm planning this as well. Wish there was some1 local in south Florida that does ecutek...
$850 is total cost.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Dsskyline

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Will post results after my retune with Seb. His etune with my old got my car to run 12.7@109 (no dyno).
mods
Z1 manifold
EPS throttle bodies
NST pulleys
ebay test pipes and exhaust (beluga)
AAM intakes (2.75in)
3.7 FD
Ran 12.7 with the above mods

New mods
JWT cams
GTR injectors
3in intakes
ported upper and lower manifolds (synolimit)
PPE headers
DSS aluminum driveshaft
FI CF exhaust

I'm on my 4th tune update for the new mods it's usually perfect after about 6-8 updates. Just need the time and space to do logs. I do mines at night he usually respond with a new update in 24hrs.

Goal is to maybe run 11.9-12.2 N/A. The fastest in a AT is 12.3 and in 6mt is 12.2 both in lighter 370z's.

Last edited by Dsskyline; 01-30-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Search this Thread