ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Getting some new mods. Complete noob here, how to tune?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Getting some new mods. Complete noob here, how to tune?

Some I'm going to be getting some intake/exhaust mods done to my G within the next few months, and everywhere I read, everyone says to get a tune after doing mods.

I am a complete noob in this field. How exactly do I get a tune? What would happen if I drive a modded car without a tune? What tools do I need, or would a shop have everything needed? Where do I get a tune? I read that some people send their ECUs somewhere to get it tuned, but I also read that people go to a dyno and get a tune. Do I have to go to a shop that specializes in tuning Nissan/Infiniti, or can I just go to any shop that has a dyno and offers tuning services?

Since my G is my daily, my main goal is to keep the car operating, so I guess that scratches off the mail-your-ECU-to-someone method.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
First make sure to try searching the forum, there is plenty of info out there.

Your car will run fine with new exhaust and intake. You just need to reset the ECU by unplugging your battery for a minute after you install intake/exhaust.

To get tuned you need to buy a license to uprev or ecutek and take it to someone that knows what they are doing. They will fine tune the ecu, to take advantage of the performance parts you install.

Just installing intake/exhaust will get you more HP, but a tune will give you a bit more and provide options for multiple ecu maps that are geared for different types of driving.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by Rybitron
First make sure to try searching the forum, there is plenty of info out there.

Your car will run fine with new exhaust and intake. You just need to reset the ECU by unplugging your battery for a minute after you install intake/exhaust.

To get tuned you need to buy a license to uprev or ecutek and take it to someone that knows what they are doing. They will fine tune the ecu, to take advantage of the performance parts you install.

Just installing intake/exhaust will get you more HP, but a tune will give you a bit more and provide options for multiple ecu maps that are geared for different types of driving.
I tried to search, but came up with nothing. Forum search engines in general aren't very useful. The ECU Tuning subforum is only 2 pages long, so there's not much information here that will help me.

Titan Motorsports is like 10 minutes from my house and they have a dyno. On their website, they don't state that they offer tuning services for the G37, but they do offer ECUTek tuning for the Nissan GT-R. Would they be able to tune my G?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
More than likely those guys will be able to do the G as well. Used to spend "quality" time at their shop. Bought my first set of Volks from them. Good guys, assuming Nero and Bottle are still running the show there.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 AM
Melophile

Alright. So I just need to purchase a ECUTek license and take a short trip to Titan Motorsports?

How exactly do I purchase a license? Do I have to purchase the entire ECUTek ProECU kit in order to get a license?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Call Titan first and see if they're able and what they charge for the license, tuning and cord. Also ask them how much experience they have tuning your engine.

Do you have a PC laptop? If so, you also have the option of remote tuning with someone like Sebastian from SpecialtyZ. You buy the license/cord through him and do logs of the car in various situations after installing his baseline program. He tweaks and optimizes it from there. It does require you to upload the maps as well as drive aggressively on the street in order to get a good data set logged so he can make changes.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:10 PM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If you are looking to do some mods, now is a great time. We have our black friday sales going on now which will save you a ton of money.

Do you have brand preferences?
Sedan/Coupe/AWD/RWD
Old 11-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Call Titan first and see if they're able and what they charge for the license, tuning and cord. Also ask them how much experience they have tuning your engine.

Do you have a PC laptop? If so, you also have the option of remote tuning with someone like Sebastian from SpecialtyZ. You buy the license/cord through him and do logs of the car in various situations after installing his baseline program. He tweaks and optimizes it from there. It does require you to upload the maps as well as drive aggressively on the street in order to get a good data set logged so he can make changes.
In general, what's better: a dyno tune, or an e-tune?

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
If you are looking to do some mods, now is a great time. We have our black friday sales going on now which will save you a ton of money.

Do you have brand preferences?
Sedan/Coupe/AWD/RWD
We've already been in contact recently
Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 AM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
haha sounds good
Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Melophile
In general, what's better: a dyno tune, or an e-tune?
There's some benefit to both but generally I liked to street tune as it's a real world situation and the dyno may not load the engine in the exact same manner as driving on the street would. The dyno is repeatable and you can rev to abandon without worry of road hazards. One can always dyno tune and then do logs of street driving and they can tweak the dyno maps.
The following users liked this post:
krazzyborri (07-04-2018)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:59 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Another advantage of tuning is increasing the transmission line pressure to speed up the lazy shifts of the automatic.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 PM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Melophile you ever get your tune done? Im looking to do the same but learning a bit more about the process... Im in the Orlando area also so Titan is pretty close. I also saw one in Tampa called Fever Racing (Formerly Z-Fever). Seb from SpecialtyZ has great reviews on his remote tune.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by krazzyborri
Hey Melophile you ever get your tune done? Im looking to do the same but learning a bit more about the process... Im in the Orlando area also so Titan is pretty close. I also saw one in Tampa called Fever Racing (Formerly Z-Fever). Seb from SpecialtyZ has great reviews on his remote tune.

revived 2 year old thread lol

what process do you want to learn about? either use uprev or ecutek to tune your G at a tuning shop
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
krazzyborri
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my ques was more along the lines of what shop did he go to and how were the results. Even tho there are a lack of stickys, it sounded a lot more complicated then it actually is.

I've read about the remote tune and the shop tune. Both have great reviews. I'm still just reading up to pickup as much feedback as possible before making a decision.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:56 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
I perform lots of remote tuning using ecutek. Pm me and We can set up a phone call I can explain the whole process.

Search this Thread