Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh, I get it now, Furlow. If I'm reading this right, then a contributing reason for why I'm OK with the mount is because my 2.5" FI exhaust is hella-loud to begin with. Can't really argue with that... it makes sense.

And that's some out-of-the-box thinking, having your shop drop the resonators. Glad you found what you were looking for.

AFAIK, the Invidia catback doesn't have a rep for being loud, and he still has stock cats. That, and Lego is extremely particular... so it's anybody's guess.
Yeah if the FI is 2.5" and obviously louder than the Tanabe, PLUS you have HFC's (I think?), then I can totally understand how/why you're not as affected by the Z-1 mount.

Would love to hear a sound clip of your exhaust, sounds beefy! If I could go back, I would not have done the Tanabe's, and instead went with a full system. But once I had those installed I didn't want to start over and throw $600 out the window. And all in all, I'm happy with the sound now. Like I said it's mellow when I want it to be, but if I get on it it's pretty darn loud.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
i'm still sitting on my HFCs in the wrapper because I don't trust anywhere to put them on..... and I'm scared to throw a CEL. last shop I talked to said they can do a tune where they delete the secondary O2 and remove the CEL on the cats if it comes up which may be an option I try before scrapping this mount. as far as noise I really don't get what you mean by the highway cruising. mine is silent 4th gear and above. and my tanabe is silent everywhere. haha. biggest waste of money ever...... oh well. live and learn. :-)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
i'm still sitting on my HFCs in the wrapper because I don't trust anywhere to put them on..... and I'm scared to throw a CEL. last shop I talked to said they can do a tune where they delete the secondary O2 and remove the CEL on the cats if it comes up which may be an option I try before scrapping this mount. as far as noise I really don't get what you mean by the highway cruising. mine is silent 4th gear and above. and my tanabe is silent everywhere. haha. biggest waste of money ever...... oh well. live and learn. :-)
See I heard the mount on the highway, unless I was in neutral going down a hill or something. Didn't matter what gear, speed, RPM, etc. If I was pushing on the gas at all, I heard it.

I noticed better sound OUTSIDE with the Tanabe's. Inside, not very much. Once I went 2.25" from the cats, it got moderately louder inside. Now with the resonators gone, it's perfect for me.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
Would love to hear a sound clip of your exhaust, sounds beefy!
These are from last year. The first is a comparison revving in neutral, where the "before" video is the OEM Catback and the FI RHFC, and the second is the full FI Exhaust.

This next video was the day the catback was installed and the mechanics were driving it.

The following users liked this post:
Furlow (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
AFAIK, the Invidia catback doesn't have a rep for being loud, and he still has stock cats. That, and Lego is extremely particular... so it's anybody's guess.
Me, particular? IDK WTF you're talking about

My Invidia is decoupled at the mufflers, so it's a partial muffler delete--plenty loud.

I've replaced transmission and/or motor mounts on 3 of my last 4 cars, so I kinda know what I'm in for. Besides, my wife doesn't really like riding in my car anyway, and she can't drive MT, so this is all about making me happy
Old 06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
My Invidia is decoupled at the mufflers, so it's a partial muffler delete--plenty loud.
Decoupled? Like what... washers between the brackets instead of gaskets?

Yessir, that would be plenty loud.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Decoupled? Like what... washers between the brackets?
Yup. Rice, I know. But muffler deletes are generally highly regarded around here
Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've replaced transmission and/or motor mounts on 3 of my last 4 cars, so I kinda know what I'm in for.
Same, but just the last car. It started with the motor mounts as a leap-of-faith mod, and turned out to be the best thing I could have done with that car.

Besides, my wife doesn't really like riding in my car anyway, and she can't drive MT, so this is all about making me happy
Same, except that she actually can drive a MT... but she's scared of my car, so we don't talk about it much.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Same, except that she actually can drive a MT... but she's scared of my car, so we don't talk about it much.
Everything you love about your car, I hate.

Lego_Maniac's wife
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
MaQG37 (06-03-2016), slartibartfast (06-02-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

These are from last year. The first is a comparison revving in neutral, where the "before" video is the OEM Catback and the FI RHFC, and the second is the full FI Exhaust.

G37S Catback Before After - YouTube

This next video was the day the catback was installed and the mechanics were driving it.

Fast Intentions - First Run out of the shop - YouTube

oh man, I love everything about your car. it sounds PERFECT. everything from the wrapped rear part (maybe would do gloss though?) to the sound and the shifter...... ugh...... I want your drivetrain.

I think that's one of my biggest problems is I have NO IDEA how my car sounds from outside. nobody has ever driven it other than a parking lot into the bay of a shop...... gotta find a willing soul.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

oh man, I love everything about your car. it sounds PERFECT. everything from the wrapped rear part (maybe would do gloss though?) to the sound and the shifter...... ugh...... I want your drivetrain.
Well, you just made my day.

Believe me, I appreciate how the car is currently configured. I'm very, very content. Still lots of mods in my future, but even though I'm at the half-way point of ownership, I feel like I'm far more than halfway past the things I want to do.

I think that's one of my biggest problems is I have NO IDEA how my car sounds from outside. nobody has ever driven it other than a parking lot into the bay of a shop...... gotta find a willing soul.
Oh, I understand. I've often thought of spending an afternoon with a trusted friend, and making a bunch of videos. This might be a great summer project, and I've a few people in mind who can certainly wrestle my car around with confidence.

Hmm. Thinking...
Old 06-03-2016, 01:08 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

halfway through ownership? O.O
I assume you mean paying it off? being no more 6MTs i'll keep this car forever even as a 3rd, 4th, 8th car. maybe in 2075 it will be like the 1950s Ferraris. hahaha.

seriously though, I don't have many more mods planned but I'm scrapping and redoing my entire exhaust ideas. I'm horribly disappointed with my choices and it was a rushed decision to save only a few hundred bucks.

maybe we can drive our cars to the Midwest and take turns with a camcorder Roch? what ya think? hahaha.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

halfway through ownership? O.O
I assume you mean paying it off?
No, I took out a 5 year note that will be paid off in 8 months. After that comes around, we start looking at new cars for the wife.

By halfway, I mean that I bought the car with a 10 year ownership plan (knock on wood), which puts me about 4.5 years into that.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:36 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

ahh. I see. well kudos to you!

This is a bucket list car for me so previous to this I've had Car ADD and never kept them for more than 2-3 at most.

last time I had a car paid off was 3 years ago when I bought my then wife's Honda pilot in cash. That was a good feeling for the 6 months until we bought a brand new Tundra Limited Crewmax. hahaha.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Z1 transmission mount arrived today, and looks barely used

And since my wife leaves on a week long business trip on Sunday, I'll have plenty of spousal equity banked for a DIY install next weekend
Attached Thumbnails TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount-z1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (06-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount