D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

LED Emblem For Your G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 AM
alecwatersmusic
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LED Emblem For Your G37

Hi All,

Yesterday I just finished re-badging my grille with a Q50 emblem. Since I couldn't find any how-to's, I did it myself.

DISCLAIMER: This method only worked for me because of my after-market grille which has a plain metal mesh instead of the stock horizontal bars. The Q50 emblem will not fit in the G37's bracket.

The emblem I bought off of eBay. There were plenty of sellers offering different options for color, finish, etc. - I went with the standard silver gloss.

All my tools and materials were bought from Home Depot:
  • Metal-cutting scissors
  • Sheet metal
  • Three 5/16 bolts (whatever fits through the mesh and fits snugly; make sure the heads are flat)
  • Construction adhesive (Loctite Power Grab Express Heavy Duty)
  • Black spray paint & primer
  • Phillips screwdriver
I started by unscrewing the back that came with the emblem which was meant to fit into the Q50 grille bracket. It was held together by four screws and a little bit of glue, separating pretty easily. Afterwards I marked the dimensions of the emblem over the sheet metal and used the scissors to cut a brand new back, spray painted both sides black and let it dry.

If I had chosen to buy a drill, I could have made threaded holes in the metal matching where the holes to the previously mentioned screws went through - instead, I decided to stick it using my construction adhesive (which I will also note I did not know much about going in - all I knew was I needed something that would stick strongly and would be water resistant). The Loctite started to stiffen fairly quick, but needed 12 hours to fully dry so I made sure that all edges had enough to completely seal beforehand. I also chose to use it on the bolts beforehand...

And below is how it fit initially. Not quite perfect.

I should also state that I cross-wired it with the driver's side parking light. If you've never worked with wiring before, neither have I. (Minus my switchback LEDs.)

The bolts actually stuck on to the back really well, but two of them needed to come off because of how incorrectly I had positioned the holes in the mesh for them. Repositioning the bolts, reapplying adhesive, and using painter's (blue) tape just for added protection, another 12 hours to dry and voila.

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Looks like you did a nice job, any pics in the daylight?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:34 PM
phanatic
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like that, would love to see some daylight pics as well