D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: The factory vapor canister rattles. Here's how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
The factory vapor canister rattles. Here's how to fix it.

Underneath the rear diffuser of both the sedan and the coupe is a set of emissions components attached to the underside of the spare tire well. You can access these by removing the two nuts and three bolts with a 10mm socket and pop the two plastic retaining tabs with a flathead screwdriver.

The main component anchoring everything down is the vapor canister - which looks like a black plastic box with three hoses connecting to it. The vapor canister is held in place by a single bolt (12mm head) and a rectangular slot that fits loosely on a metal tab coming off the underside of the car. This configuration allows a fair amount of play enabling the canister to rattle and make unnecessary noise.

You can easily eliminate the noise with some foam tape or what I used: 3M mounting squares (essentially the same thing).

Remove the 12mm bolt and place a solid object underneath the vapor canister to support its weight. I unplugged the two sensors, but there is enough slack that this is not necessary.

I placed a single mounting square on the top side of the metal tab attached to the underside of the car. I left the adhesive backing on the exposed side and this combination ended up being perfect for eliminating all wobble in the vapor canister.

Here's a shot of the vapor canister reattached. You can just make out the white mounting square in place now (see small white circle in center of photo).

As an extra precaution, I trimmed some pieces of a mounting square to eliminate the play and rattle in this hose catch - because it was super noisy as well. YMMV.

I don't care who you are, this is MacGyver-quality work right here:

That's it. You're done. Now just reinstall your rear diffuser and cruise your neighborhood revving on anyone within earshot.

Last edited by G37_4DR; 09-15-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You need to do more write-ups...well done!
The following users liked this post:
G37_4DR (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks RMB, I appreciate the compliment!
Old 11-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Emissions components? Lol can I take it off and not get a check engine light? Wonder how heavy it is?
Originally Posted by G37_4DR
Underneath the rear diffuser of both the sedan and the coupe is a set of emissions components attached to the underside of the spare tire well. You can access these by removing the two nuts and three bolts with a 10mm socket and pop the two plastic retaining tabs with a flathead screwdriver.

The main component anchoring everything down is the vapor canister - which looks like a black plastic box with three hoses connecting to it. The vapor canister is held in place by a single bolt (12mm head) and a rectangular slot that fits loosely on a metal tab coming off the underside of the car. This configuration allows a fair amount of play enabling the canister to rattle and make unnecessary noise.

You can easily eliminate the noise with some foam tape or what I used: 3M mounting squares (essentially the same thing).

Remove the 12mm bolt and place a solid object underneath the vapor canister to support its weight. I unplugged the two sensors, but there is enough slack that this is not necessary.

I placed a single mounting square on the top side of the metal tab attached to the underside of the car. I left the adhesive backing on the exposed side and this combination ended up being perfect for eliminating all wobble in the vapor canister.

Here's a shot of the vapor canister reattached. You can just make out the white mounting square in place now (see small white circle in center of photo).

As an extra precaution, I trimmed some pieces of a mounting square to eliminate the play and rattle in this hose catch - because it was super noisy as well. YMMV.

I don't care who you are, this is MacGyver-quality work right here:

That's it. You're done. Now just reinstall your rear diffuser and cruise your neighborhood revving on anyone within earshot.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Very nice. In what situations were you hearing the rattle?