D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

MotorvateDIY Video: Oil, Filter and Reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 319 Likes on 142 Posts
MotorvateDIY Video: Oil, Filter and Reset

How to change your oil & filter and reset your maintenance monitor for navigation and non-navigation.

The following 2 users liked this post by MotorvateDIY:
blnewt (11-15-2016), tite_tite (12-01-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 AM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
If you drive up onto a couple 2x4s of wood it will raise it enough to fit a jack underneath.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:47 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Very true and actually I do that for my old BMW.
Funny how it didn't cross my mind for the G37.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:39 AM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Frank, thanks for the upload. I may be missing something, but isn't it best to drain the oil with the car jacked up on all 4 corners? Just wanted to get your thoughts on that.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:57 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bsanalyst
Hey Frank, thanks for the upload. I may be missing something, but isn't it best to drain the oil with the car jacked up on all 4 corners? Just wanted to get your thoughts on that.
With the minuscule oil pan on the G37 engine, it don't matter if the car is on incline. 99% of the oil will come out anyway.

I noticed there was no oil cooler (OEM oil cooler) between the oil filter and the engine. Both my G37, Sedan and convertible have the oil cooler there...
Old 11-15-2016, 12:48 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Elco and I think alike... If the car is raised evenly (Front & rear), you might get out a few more ounces, but it won't make a noticeable difference.

Elco: I am not sure which North American market G37s have oil coolers... I have always thought just the AWD models have them. Maybe Infiniti/Nissan decided all cars for your regions needed a oil cooler???
Old 11-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Nice to see your videos stickied in the DIY forum.

Frank, you need a set of ramps. So-o-o much easier.

I've been eyeing a set of Race Ramps for a while now. Buy them and do a short video.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...service-ramps/

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
3/4 turn after the filter gasket touches, eh? I never heard that before. I go hand-tight by one hand, then back it off half a turn.

You know what helps get a tight filter off the car? Use one of these:

K&N isn't bad, although there are probably better filters for the price. But that 1" socket nut in the middle also makes oil changes easier.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nice to see your videos stickied in the DIY forum.

Frank, you need a set of ramps. So-o-o much easier.

I've been eyeing a set of Race Ramps for a while now. Buy them and do a short video.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...service-ramps/
I agree... I purchased 4 Scepter ramps a few days after that video was shot.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
did the first oil change today at home (had two free ones at the dealer, so used those up first).

some notes:

unlike the video, i had a small "trap door" to access the oil filter. just undo 2 10mm bolts. don't remember if the car in the video was a sedan, but mine is a '13 coupe. no removal of the plastic undertray was necessary. i did need to repair it with some Gorilla tape, as it was torn a bit at the hinge.

only needed to jack up the drivers (left) side (my jack has a built-in bolt you can slide through the arm so it acts like a jackstand once up) - the oil drains toward the passenger side, so that was easier than doing both sides with jackstands.

luckily, i had a filter adapter for my wrench that fit, so getting the old filter off was a cinch.

went to the dealer to get a couple drain plug crush rings the other day, and they threw me a whole bag of them for free.

i kinda miss the ease of oil changes on my previous Subarus (no jacking required, could just lay on ground and reach under), but overall i'd say the G37 allows for a pretty easy oil change.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM
770choice_37x

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the video Motorvate. Used it for my first change immediately after I bought my car. I'm glad the maintenance reset tools are intuitive, and like Landshark, I have that little trap door that drastically reduced the amount of unbolting. But mine is a sedan. I was thinking about getting the Zspeed undertray, but I think it's simple enough as is. If I ever have an issue/break in mine, I'll probably pick it up.

Anyways, thanks again.