D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Help! Demon bolt stripped

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Help! Demon bolt stripped

Guys,

All bolts are off but the demon bolt and it's now stripped. I made the mistake of installed the passenger cat so I feel like I accomplished something but now I can't get the drivers side off ... Have you guys run into the same thing? What did you do?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Use a torch?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 PM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Even if I had one I wouldn't trust it with all the parts around the bolt
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Damaged bolt extractor. Spray it with plenty of PB Blaster and give it plenty of time to penetrate before trying to get it out. Heat helps.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Damaged bolt extractor. Spray it with plenty of PB Blaster and give it plenty of time to penetrate before trying to get it out. Heat helps.

In what way would you suggest I get heat to this. I get nervous if I dont have a direct path with the heat.

Thanks so far. I ordered a bolt extractor kit already.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Heat it with a heat gun or torch if you have one. As much as you can. Apply PB Blaster liberally. Allow it to soak for several hours. Repeat the heating, and applying lube process. Ideally let it penetrate overnight. Lubrication is important so that you don't just snap the bolt head off when you try to back it out. Then try removing it with the extractor. Put it on as squarely as possible and tap it several times firmly with a big hammer to seat it on there good. It should grip as you turn counterclockwise to remove it.

When you put the bolts back in, be sure to liberally us anti seize compound on the threads. so they come out easier next time.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Irwin Industrial Tools 394001 Bolt-Grip Bolt Extractor Base Set, 5-Piece - Amazon.com Irwin Industrial Tools 394001 Bolt-Grip Bolt Extractor Base Set, 5-Piece - Amazon.com

This is what I ordered to extract the bolt. Will this do the trick?

Isnt breaking this bolt ok? If it breaks, shouldnt the Cat pull right off and then I just replace the broken bolt with a new one?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
You will have a heck of a time getting the broken piece unthreaded and removed if it breaks off
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
You will have a heck of a time getting the broken piece unthreaded and removed if it breaks off

Uhhhh. Were your bolts threaded into the cats? I DIY'ed mine and the bolts just slide in to the cats.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Uhhhh. Were your bolts threaded into the cats? I DIY'ed mine and the bolts just slide in to the cats.

This is what I thought, I have read a few DIY's about this project and they said the same. I read the bolt slides through the Header and threads into the Cat itself. So if the head of the bolt breaks it will come out easily.

I am going to try heating it with my heat gun and applying more PB. I have been applying for a few days already. Thanks Guys.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
DanGer's37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did my FI test pipes, every bolt came out no problem, except of course the aforementioned "demon bolt."

The key to removing it is absolutely 100% without question: HEAT!

I put my car on the lift, got a berzomatic and heated the flange until it was RED. I know it sounds foolish but you want to direct the heat to the flange, not the bolt. You want the flange to expand, not the bolt. When I put my 3ft extension through the engine compartment and put a pipe on the ratchet for some leverage, the head of the bolt snapped off, which wasn't a problem because the cat is threaded not the header. When I removed the old cat, the remains of the bold were still stuck in the flange.

To be honest idk if a heatgun will provide enough heat.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
The only re-used hardware is the top stud and nut on each cat if your looking towards the front of the car from underneath. Snapping off the single bolt on each cat made removal easier, since you won't need to thread the bolt all the way out. As long as the problem "bolt" isn't the stud that's needed for reinstallation you'll be okay.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Good to know. I will be taking this to a muffler shop tomorrow since I don't have a torch to get it hot enough. I hope they can help.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

So I drove the car to a muffler shop to see if they could remove that bolt. Another problem came up. My steering wheel is turned to the left slightly when driving straight. I am assuming it has to do with me undoing the Steering Rod to get at this damn bolt. Has anyone else had this issue? This is turning into a headache.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by lfe1313
So I drove the car to a muffler shop to see if they could remove that bolt. Another problem came up. My steering wheel is turned to the left slightly when driving straight. I am assuming it has to do with me undoing the Steering Rod to get at this damn bolt. Has anyone else had this issue? This is turning into a headache.
It's the steering knuckle. Just realign it and bolt it back up. Did you mark it before you removed it?

Quick Reply: Help! Demon bolt stripped