D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 PM
jmoyaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I need to find another hosting for my pics, so give it a week and they'll be back up
still no new host??

vinyl just came in today
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoyaman
still no new host??

vinyl just came in today
Pics are back
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Anyone selling them precut lol
Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
I like that A LOT! Sleek Black!
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Jimmah

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After a lotta procrastination I took the plunge today. One thing I personally found easier was instead of 1 1/8" for the top of the rear doors, I made it an 1 1/4". I removed both window rubbers outta the channel, so the "extra" material just wrapped right into the channels. The added 1/8" meant I didn't have to be as careful to center the vinyl on the trim. Thanks for the write up, Helped a lot
Attached Thumbnails Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans-photo-1.jpg   Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans-photo-3.jpg   Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans-photo-5.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
therzdae (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Jimmah
After a lotta procrastination I took the plunge today. One thing I personally found easier was instead of 1 1/8" for the top of the rear doors, I made it an 1 1/4". I removed both window rubbers outta the channel, so the "extra" material just wrapped right into the channels. The added 1/8" meant I didn't have to be as careful to center the vinyl on the trim. Thanks for the write up, Helped a lot
Look like a nice install
Like the wheels on your G too, what are they?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Jimmah

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Look like a nice install
Like the wheels on your G too, what are they?
Thanks...They're Ace Alloy Convex in gun metal
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Jimmah
Thanks...They're Ace Alloy Convex in gun metal
Thought they looked familiar, SunnyD89 has them on his sedan too, classy looking rim IMO.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i tackled this diy... i dont think its difficult at all but you have to have steady hands and good attention to detail, anyhow mine i would say turned out just ok some bad trimmings lol the curve part of the front doors sucked as i couldnt get it in 1 piece and did an overlap
from 2ft out you can see it was a diy and not a good one( this is my first time with this) lol
belt line was pretty good.
thanks once again to brad for this awesome diy
pics so it did happened

parked in middle of street like a baws
Name:  IMG_20140807_090103_zpsackmutvl.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20140807_090212_zpsdlqu0jfl.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  124.9 KB
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
MyBoyBlue

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tchoke
...have steady hands and good attention to detail... the curve part of the front doors sucked as i couldnt get it in 1 piece and did an overlap
Steady hands, attention to detail, and lots of patience.
Post or PM me pics of the "overlap" area and I'll give you my advice to do that section.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBoyBlue
Steady hands, attention to detail, and lots of patience.
Post or PM me pics of the "overlap" area and I'll give you my advice to do that section.
lol none of those qualities i have
was going to get the wife to help me but im going on a trip and had other things on the plate but i so had to do it already

the overlaps are at the curvatures both on the top of the door, rewatching the video i should have been pulling as i put it down, I will most likely redo it and will try the grill as well at that point i tried the chrome spoiler and that was epic fail, vinyl was cheap i think i paid 30 for 2x60
i was quoted from 200-250 for this job
Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM
MyBoyBlue

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
...rewatching the video...
Honestly, that video is how NOT to do a trim wrap. It gives you some insight into how the material can stretch but you don't want to use a straight piece of vinyl.

No professional shop unnecessarily curves a straight piece of vinyl like that. Either do the pre-cut as blnewt has shown or lay the vinyl over the area to be wrapped (with the backing still on), tape it down with painters tape, then cut the general area you'll be wrapping. Pre-cut pieces saves you material but if you're slightly off while cutting/installing then things will get very difficult and you may end up wasting material anyways.

If you're going to try something more difficult know that the material can stretch 100% of it's original size but during install shouldn't go beyond 30% or it will try to peal back.

blnewt, you can add this to the OP as well.
If you want to start doing more vinyl wrapping, here is Taylor's DIY Vinyl Kit.
Admins: All links on this page go to Amazon or Home Depot and I make no profit from this; just trying to help the community.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

i tackled this diy... i dont think its difficult at all but you have to have steady hands and good attention to detail, anyhow mine i would say turned out just ok some bad trimmings lol the curve part of the front doors sucked as i couldnt get it in 1 piece and did an overlap
from 2ft out you can see it was a diy and not a good one( this is my first time with this) lol
belt line was pretty good.
thanks once again to brad for this awesome diy
pics so it did happened

parked in middle of street like a baws
From the pics it looks good, takes a bit of practice to get a feel for what the vinyl will & won't do. Luckily it's a project that is done in several pieces so not too bad to redo a section or two. Black trim definitely gives the G more attitude
Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by MyBoyBlue
Honestly, that video is how NOT to do a trim wrap. It gives you some insight into how the material can stretch but you don't want to use a straight piece of vinyl.

No professional shop unnecessarily curves a straight piece of vinyl like that. Either do the pre-cut as blnewt has shown or lay the vinyl over the area to be wrapped (with the backing still on), tape it down with painters tape, then cut the general area you'll be wrapping. Pre-cut pieces saves you material but if you're slightly off while cutting/installing then things will get very difficult and you may end up wasting material anyways.

If you're going to try something more difficult know that the material can stretch 100% of it's original size but during install shouldn't go beyond 30% or it will try to peal back.

blnewt, you can add this to the OP as well.
If you want to start doing more vinyl wrapping, here is Taylor's DIY Vinyl Kit.
Admins: All links on this page go to Amazon or Home Depot and I make no profit from this; just trying to help the community.
Thanks again for adding some pro insight. I edited the wording for the video
to illustrate it's shortcomings. I posted it mainly to show what you can do w/ vinyl regarding the trim, but you're spot-on, not a great way to do that project, the vinyl won't be as structurally sound and you're wasting a ton of it.
Please feel free to add your insight any time, much appreciated
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
subbed for future reference

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans