D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

MY2009 G37x sedan horn issue from DIY (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:41 AM
Amrathe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2009 G37x sedan horn issue from DIY (long)

Hello All! I have a situation where upon the removal of my steering wheel to refinish the trim plate. The reassembly of the wheel, everything seemed fine. But the horn failed to work when pressed. I went and checked everything. The relay was replaced, in case that was the issue. The fuses checked. The horns checked. The alarm sounds the horn. With the air bag back out, the steering wheel plug was removed and the pins checked. Pins 3 and 4 when touched will sound the horn. So the steering wheel column circuit works. But the issue now shows that the apparent reason the horn is failing is due to a broken ground. Now here is where it gets weird. The steering wheel metal and the copper nubs show continuity with themselves. The steering wheel horn cage has continuity with itself. But when the cage engages and touches the copper nubs, the ground does not pass through to the attached ground wire to allow the circuit to complete. But if I touch the steering wheel metal or the copper nubs only, the circuit completes. I scrapped the contacts on the backside that would touch the copper nubs and the ground tab for the ground/circuit wire to the electrical plug in the steering wheel. Hoping that the bare metal connections would help. Nope. Really just weird stuff. Why would the ground work for the steering wheel metal and copper nubs, but not conduct through the horn switch cage, when the cage is pushed in , contacting the copper nubs? Anyone with electrical experience that may know why, would appreciate any possible advice on this, as I am quite stumped. Oh, btw, all functions on the steering wheel works, except the horn. No bent pins in the plug socket. Clock-spring is fine. As mentioned before when the ground pin and the hot pins are touched, the horn goes off. Just no results when using the horn switch cage. I’ll try to get pics to help show the situation better.