D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: G37 Betty's Garage grounding wires installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
G37 Betty's Garage grounding wires installation

Here's how to install the wire set.

DISCLAIMER: This set of wires is purchased and used solely at your own risk. I will not be held responsible or liable for any harm or damage that comes to your car or to you. What you are installing is a set of wires, nothing more. Take every reasonable precaution for safety when installing. Use good judgment and common sense. Installation of the Betty's Garage Grounding Wires do not necessarily void your factory warranty on electrical components in your car unless it can be proven that they are the cause of the malfunction. With proper installation they will not be.

Tools needed:
  • 10 mm socket
  • 8 mm socket
  • ratchet
  • short extension or a deep 10 mm socket
  • 5 mm Allen wrench

All bolts shown are 10 mm.

1. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE! You should always disconnect the negative battery cable before doing anything electrical on your car. Always!

2. Take either end of the longest single wire and connect it to your negative battery terminal. Leave this negative terminal disconnected until you finish all the steps before coming back to where you started and reconnecting the cable.Name:  09edbba3-1.jpg
Views: 4947
Size:  109.5 KB

3. Run the wire through the opening that has the single bundle of wires running through it. There is enough room for you to run the grounding wire along side the wire bundle that's already there.
Name:  edd2c98b-1.jpg
Views: 5683
Size:  179.3 KB

4. Connect the other end of the long wire to the bolt on the strut tower where there is already a tiny grounding wire anchored. Run the new wire underneath the existing one. Don't tighten the bolt all the way as you will attach another wire here. You can use the cable ties to attach the wire to the bundle of wires that it runs along for a factory looking install.
Name:  391eda2e-1.jpg
Views: 4136
Size:  197.4 KB

5. Connect either end of the second longest single wire to the same point you just terminated the first wire. Place both ring terminals on top on one another under the existing puny wire. Tighten bolt.
Name:  dce46cb9-1.jpg
Views: 3904
Size:  94.7 KB

6. Run the wire under your intake tubing and connect to the bolt on the front side of the timing cover as shown on the passenger side. Tighten bolt.
Name:  dc9c991b-1.jpg
Views: 4626
Size:  146.8 KB

7. Connect either end of the shortest single wire to the bolt shown on the driver side. You may need to use a short extension or a deep 10 mm socket to reach this bolt easily.
Name:  9bad0d8c-1.jpg
Views: 4314
Size:  122.0 KB

8. Connect the other end of the this wire to the bolt shown that holds the bracket for the relay box. '07+ SEDAN OWNERS NOTE: You don't have the bolt shown in this step, just a plastic cover there. Connect it to either of the factory grounding points show right beside where this wire is connected.
Name:  46c03a07-1.jpg
Views: 4585
Size:  97.2 KB

9. Remove your engine cover.

10. Connect the shorter of the two 8 AWG TB cables to the passenger side throttle body. You can do this in one of 3 places: 1) on the lower inset hex screw on the firewall side of the TB, 2) on the upper inset hex screw on the top firewall side of the TB, 3) underneath the stainless steel nut on top of the TB. The first 2 locations are a very tight fit and it may be easier to get the ring terminal connected by disconnecting the intake tubing. Under the nut on top of the TB is the easiest of the 3 locations, but it's your choice as any of the three will work just fine.
Name:  f4806f4a-1.jpg
Views: 4155
Size:  193.9 KB

11. Connect the longer of the two 8 AWG TB cables to the driver side throttle body in your choice of the same 3 same locations as the other side. The cable length is designed to run underneath the various lines/hoses behind the top of the engine. This will make it very inconspicuous with the cover replaced and have it out of the way of everything.
Name:  f7f51059.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  181.9 KB
Name:  f7f51059-1.jpg
Views: 3537
Size:  180.7 KB
Name:  c24cdf2a-1.jpg
Views: 3683
Size:  175.2 KB

12. Finally, run the end with the 4 AWG lug terminal where both wires are spliced together back through the same grommet as the battery to chassis cable (the first one). Attach it along with the other cable and reconnect your battery terminal.Name:  09edbba3-2.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  107.9 KB

13. Voila! You are done. Enjoy.

You will need to reset your windows since your battery has been disconnected. To perform a window reset:

1. Push the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Close the door.
3. Open the window more than halfway by operating the power window switch.
4. Pull the power window switch and hold it to close the window, and then hold the switch more than 3 seconds after the window is
closed completely.
5. Release the power window switch. Operate the window by the automatic function to confirm the initialization is complete.
6. Perform steps 2 through 5 above for other windows.

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-13-2011 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
YellowJacket (01-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Posting this in the DIY section because I'm continually asked install questions. I figured I'd post them up here as they continually get buried on the vendor section and this seems like an appropriate place for them.

If you have any specific questions, pleas feel free to post here or send me an email or PM. Thanks all.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:28 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gotta a couple of questions!

1. What do you mean "throttle body upgrade"?

2. I haven't worked on this engine yet, but judging from the pics, the manifold is plastic. How does the car benefit from the wires connecting to the throttle body when the throttle body bolts to a plastic manifold? Is there a brace on the throttle body that grounds it somewhere else?

BTW, even though I still don't get the point of these kits, I love how yours is black instead of all the other flamboyant colors! Nice and clean!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Gotta a couple of questions!

1. What do you mean "throttle body upgrade"?
The "throttle body upgrade" is not an upgrade of the actual throttle bodies of the engine, it is a part of the grounding wires that I added later after initially not grounding the throttle bodies in the earliest version of the wire set. This was done after poking around and learning from others how to get more benefit from grounding. All sets now have this part so it's not actually an upgrade anymore.

2. I haven't worked on this engine yet, but judging from the pics, the manifold is plastic. How does the car benefit from the wires connecting to the throttle body when the throttle body bolts to a plastic manifold? Is there a brace on the throttle body that grounds it somewhere else?
I cannot take credit for creating this mod. It has been around on different makes and models for years, particularly the Mazda and Honda crowd. As the G37 is DBW, this actually provides a better ground for the TPS (throttle position sensor). That is the primary benefit. The improvement in throttle response is slight, but its there. It helps to dissipate the static electricity that builds up in the plastic intake pipes and manifold.

BTW, even though I still don't get the point of these kits, I love how yours is black instead of all the other flamboyant colors! Nice and clean!
Thank you. I've tried to keep my mods to Black Betty's pretty classy and low key. I wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible on my car. However, since I fabricate and market these, I've decide that mine should be a bit more eye-catching since my car is my showcase. The change I have coming up for mine is going to be a bit more ostentatious than plain black.

For those who have already figured out all the reasons why these don't/won't/can't work, I think they should save their money and spend it on something else. It's not a problem for me. I don't want anyone to be disappointed. So long as those who do purchase from me have the right expectations and are satisfied with the craftsmanship and function of what they get from me, I'll be happy.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
ProstylezG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have voltage problems after installing any grounding kits...not referring to bettys kit..just ever since i put them on..my cars died out twice...need info...thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
xberry

I ordered and received this kit about a month ago but I waited to install my shifter paddles first. I drove the car for a while to get used to the paddles and installed the grounding wires this past weekend. Let me tell you they definitely make a noticeable difference. The shifts are quicker. Glad I did the wires. Thanks Jeremy
Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Just ordered a set. I've always been disappointed with the lag on shifting. Plus I have some other electrical woes that may help by ensuring good grounds.

I'll report back once installed. Thank you for the clear photos and quality product.

Coop

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
BOSS-G37

Can I use this to install my Ground wires from sun auto? I got a set as a gift and don't really know how to do the install.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by BOSS-G37
Can I use this to install my Ground wires from sun auto? I got a set as a gift and don't really know how to do the install.
I seriously doubt it. Hopefully what you have has some sort of instructions provided. I'm not familiar with them at all. But my product is completely and totally different from what you have. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an '08 G37S coupe, which kit do I need? The 8AWG or the 4AWG? What's the difference? Does the grounding kit alleviate that high pitch whine that comes out of the speakers when the stereo isn't on? Thanx! Will PM you too.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I moved your earlier post to a more appropriate thread and answered the questions here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/misc-ve...ing-wires.html
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hah! I was wondering where that post went, I could have sworn it was there, then it poofed.. why I posted again! So, sorry about posting again. Thanx for moving it to the appropriate thread and getting back to me!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:46 AM
weaver

BB, gonna wait another 80 miles till I have my car broken in and then I will do the install. Seems like an easy process. Also gonna try and reset the ECU. After that is all done, I can then drive it like I stole it.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:55 PM
G37sTimCA

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi. Sorry for bringing up an old post. Are these grounding kits still available?
Old 12-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by G35sTimCA
Hi. Sorry for bringing up an old post. Are these grounding kits still available?
No. I have not made or sold grounding wires for several years now. Sorry.

Quick Reply: DIY: G37 Betty's Garage grounding wires installation