D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Removing Amber/headlight baking.......

Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now you need to get everything ready for the bake. First you must take one of the towels you have and completely soak it in the sink. Place the other towel dry on a table,counter, stone top island like i did. something close to the oven so you can put the lights in and out. First take your oven rack and place it on the lowest height. Take the wet towel and place it on the rack. make sure the towel is not touching the heat coils directly as to not start a fire. Place the head light in the oven for a test fit before turning anything on. IF YOUR LIGHT TOUCHES ANY PART OF THE OVEN YOU CAN NOT DO THIS PROJECT. SORRY FOR ALL THE WORK FOR NOTHING BUT YOU HAD TO GET TO THIS PART TO FIND OUT. IF IT TOUCHES ANYTHING BESIDES THE TOWEL YOU WILL MELT THE PLASTIC HOUSING AND DAMAGE YOUR LIGHTS. once you have done the test fit and are sure nothing touches then you are ready to begin.

Start off by turning your oven on as indicated in PIC#1

Set the temp at 285 degree's Fahrenheit as indicated in PIC#2

DONT LET THE OVEN HEAT UP PUT THE HEAD LIGHT IN RIGHT AWAY ON THE DAMP TOWEL. as indicated in PIC#3 might want to pray for a second to whatever god you pray to for your lights....

Set the timer for 10mins.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1500.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1501.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1502.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
UNV-IT46

Now while you are waiting get a couple things ready. First put your gloves on to protect your hands from the heat when you pull the lights out of the oven. Next get the two flat heads ready as you will need these to pry the lights open.

Once your timer goes off open your oven leave it on. dont close the door as you will need to put the light right back in. Pull the light out REMEMBER HAVE YOUR GLOVES ON AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE HEAT RESISTANT AS TO NOT BURN YOUR HANDS. place the light on the dry towel.

Now this is where you start to pry the lights open. You will need two hands at all time for this part in order to get it right. Now you need to pay attention to something. Throughout this process you may get some of the oem sealant on your gloves and touch the outer face of the housing. Dont worry about this as i will tell you how to get it off. If you screw up and get a huge glob on the clear casing then go ahead and pull it off but you should be fine.

Now onto prying open. I was able to snap one pic of me using the screw driver to pry open the lights. again you will need two hands to do this correctly so i couldnt take more. as you can see in PIC#1 you start on the top side and slide the flat head in the slot between the front housing and back housing. slowly prying the housing's apart. Indicated with the RED ARROW's and YELLOW ARROW's. Once you put the screw driver in and pry it a little away take the second and move down an inch and stick the second one in pry away and stick the first one in again an inch away from that. keep doing this down the whole top of the housing. if this is your first time doing this you may not get the whole top done in one shot. I have been doing this for so long i can get the whole top open in one shot. If you dont, dont worry through the light back in for 5 more mins pull out and keep going. Again if you dont get the top done the next time just put back in another 5 and keep going.

Once you get the top done put the light back in and let it go another 5 mins pull out and doing the same thing for the bottom. Again i can get it done all in one shot but if you dont again dont worry just throw them back in another and keep going just like the top.

ONE THING TO NOTICE IS EACH TIME YOU PUT THE LIGHT BACK IN THE OVEN YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF SEALANT ON THE FLAT HEADS. GO AHEAD AND TAKE A KNIFE AND SCRAPE IT OFF SO YOU HAVE A CLEAN FLAT HEAD FOR THE NEXT ROUND OF PRYING.

Once apart it should look like PICS#2,3.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1503.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1504.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1505.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
UNV-IT46

Now that you have them apart BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE INNER LENS OR ANY OF THE INNER PARTS YOU CAN SEE WHEN LOOKING AT THE LIGHTS SEALED. IF YOU DO YOU RISK GETTING FINGER PRINTS INSIDE YOUR HOUSING AND ONCE YOU SEAL IT BACK UP YOU WILL BE PISSED LOOKING AT FINGER PRINTS INSIDE YOUR LIGHTS.

Now you need to remove 3 phillip head screws that hold the front mirror portion to the clear from housing.
as you can see in PICS#1,2,3,4 remove all screws CIRCLED in RED
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1506.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1507.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1508.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1509.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
UNV-IT46

Now that you have done that go ahead and pull the mirror housing out of the clear front housing. AGAIN BECAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE FRONT OF THE MIRROR PORTION OF THE INNER OF THE CLEAR HOUSING. NO FINGER PRINTS.

Once you have done this you need to remove two phillip head screws to remove the clear blinker diffuser

as you can see in PIC#1 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED

as you can see in PIC#2 remove the screw CIRCLED in RED

Once you have removed those go ahead and pull the clear diffuser CIRCLED in RED in PIC#3 indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.

Once you do this you should have 3 pieces as shown in PIC#4
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1510.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1511.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1512.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1513.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
UNV-IT46

Now this is where you remove the amber piece. You will need the torch and one of your flat heads. You will need to heat up the flat head with the torch so you can melt the tabs off that hold the amber piece in place.

As you can see in PIC#1 there is a small plastic tab that has been melted down CIRCLED in RED. You take the super heated flat head and apply pressure sliding the flat head down the plastic tab. with a little force and a hot enough screw driver it should slide the plastic tab off pretty easily. If you didnt get it off the first time heat the screw driver again and try again. it will pop off. Once you pop off all the tabs you will push in the places indicated with the YELLOW ARROWS to pop the amber piece out.

again in PIC#2 Use the heated screw driver to remove the tabs CIRCLED in RED

again in PIC#3 you can see the final tab CIRCLED in RED. There are 3 tabs total. and again another push point indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.

Once you have removed all the tabs push in the area's with the YELLOW ARROWS and the amber piece should pop right out and it will look like PIC#4

Once you get it out you need to throw this crap CIRCLED in RED away as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW in PIC#5
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1514.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1515.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1516.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1518.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1519.jpg  

Last edited by UNV-IT46; 01-21-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
UNV-IT46

Now the final steps. from this point on i was not able to take any more pics of the steps as you will need two hands from this point on but it is very simple. First make sure you did not get any finger prints on any of the parts you can see. If you did wipe them down. Then put all the parts back together on the front housing in reverse order that you removed them. Once you have dont this go ahead and take the towel out of the oven and soak it again to make sure you dont burn anything. put the towel back in wet. then place the front housing on the back housing and press them together as close as you can get them. Then go ahead and place the light back in the oven for 10 mins again. AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR GLOVES ON DUE TO THE HEAT. then press the two housings together apply a lot of pressure. Go around the whole housing squeezing the two halfs making the gaps smaller with each press. Go ahead and do this around the whole housing. Then put it back in for another 5 mins. Pull out again and repeat the process again. If you feel its as close as its going to get and you are squeezing and the housing is not getting any closer then you are done with this step. There are little tabs around the whole housing. If all the tabs are connected and in place then you are sure done with the step and have the having closed.

Now get a paper towel or a clean rag or something to wipe with. You can use water or some sort of window cleaner. Personally I use RAIN-X window cleaner for cars. Put the housing back in the oven for another 5 mins. Pull out and spray the cleaner on the rag towel whatever and wipe away whatever glue you see on the outer front clear housing. This will take a little elbow greese but it will all come off. You may need to put the housing back in a couple time depending on how much glue you got on the housing. once you have got all the glue off and you feel your housing is clean on the front you can turn the oven off.

Right when you finish cleaning the lens take the 6 outer screws that you removed from the housing that helps hold the front and rear housing together. Replace all these right away as it will help to secure the front and back together.

Once you have replaced these screws let the housing sit and cool and go ahead and repeat this whole process for the other housing.

Once you have dont the second housing go ahead and set that one aside to cool off

while cooling take the first housing and get your sealant of choice and start coating the housing on the line where the two housings meet. Dont be shy use a lot of sealant around the whole light. fill in all little spaces you see or gaps around the whole light where the two sides meet. Once you have done this and feel you have put enough sealant go ahead and set aside and repeat to the other housing.

Once you finish the second housing you need to set them aside and let them cure. I recommend letting them sit a full 24 hours to be sure you have a proper seal. Let them dry inside your house to be sure no condensation will be near them during the drying process.

Take a step back give yourself a pat on the back and take a look.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1520.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1521.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
UNV-IT46

Once you have let them dry for the full 24 hours it's time to put everything back together. Basically do every step above in reverse order for putting back together. Its pretty simple once you have taken everything apart.

TAKE NOTE BEFORE BOLTING THE LIGHTS BACK ONTO THE CAR JUST LAY THEM IN PLACE AND PLUG THEM UP AND TEST THE LIGHTS TO MAKE SURE ALL BULBS WORKS. IF THEY WORK GO AHEAD AND BOLT THEM IN. IF THEY DONT REMOVE THEN CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS. ALSO IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO REPLACE YOUR BULBS WITH OTHER COLORS GO AHEAD AND CHANGE THEM NOW BEFORE REPLACING THE WIRE HARNESS BACK INTO THE LIGHT.

once you have bolted the lights back in finish putting the bumper back on and again step back and give yourself another pat on the back and enjoy your work. Tell your friend "YA I KNOW UNV-IT!!!!!!"
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1528.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1529.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1532.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1535.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1541.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
IP37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol mail the reflectors to me i'll experiment
Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by IP37
lol mail the reflectors to me i'll experiment
well i found a local shop that is going to try and make me a set of protype clear lenses to replace the amber one with. I am having one made clear reflector type like the oem and one non relfective just clear lense
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 AM
G-WIZ KID

Yur 1 crazy guy UNV-IT46. Gotta give it to ya for going through and doing this DIY and being the 1st to experiment. Mad props to ya.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
Yur 1 crazy guy UNV-IT46. Gotta give it to ya for going through and doing this DIY and being the 1st to experiment. Mad props to ya.
thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
YeahRightFoo

Looks Good, Very Very Clean!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
^^^, what bulbs do you suggest we get? like bright white...i have no idea where to get them.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
vINCe_Inc

why dont you just buy some clear 3m reflector paper and scribe it over the amber ones. i for one like the idea of removing the amber, but dont like the fact that the reflector is gone. if you were to park on a street in the dark, the reflector WILL save your car form gettin hit. sounds pretty stupid and lame, but they are there for a reason.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ vince u must be older. i would of never thought of that. granted i try to park my car on lite streets or garages or wherever someone with a gun is standing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Amber/headlight baking.......