Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Sticky Dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sticky Dash

So I recently bought a coupe 2012 g37, 30,000 miles. Super clean. I didn’t think much of the three small cracks and found out that very little of the top edge of the dash was super sticky and shiny. I found this website called https://stickydashfix.com/
i just wanna fix the problem before it gets any worse. I live in Texas. Yes I tinted the windows and use a sun shield. What’s your guy’s opinions. I couldn’t find any new recent post on this subject
Old 02-24-2020, 12:27 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
use wd40 to remove the excess glue/adhesive that has seeped to the top surface. after getting the adhesive off use some simple green to clean and wipe dry. meguiars makes a uv protectant for dash/vinyl interior parts.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 AM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
use wd40 to remove the excess glue/adhesive that has seeped to the top surface. after getting the adhesive off use some simple green to clean and wipe dry. meguiars makes a uv protectant for dash/vinyl interior parts.
Thanks for the fast reply. I read something on GOO GONE or GOO OFF what ever it’s called lol. So you recommend WD40, okay that easy with some simple green. Followed along with a uv dash protection. I always use Meguiars and stay away from ARMOR. I came across a product called 303 this morning, my research came back is a excellent product. Should I switch to 303 or stay with Meguiars.

Last edited by dailyg37; 02-24-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm in texas and have 2 coupes and neither have dash issues but, I've always kept cars detailed and use screen shield when parking outside. Wd40 works well to remove goo from dash or on car paint just clean it off with detailer after.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:54 PM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
I'm in texas and have 2 coupes and neither have dash issues but, I've always kept cars detailed and use screen shield when parking outside. Wd40 works well to remove goo from dash or on car paint just clean it off with detailer after.
Car is from Florida Fort Myers, made its way here to Texas. I guess the Original owner never used a window shield.

Update I spend all morning use ing WD40 with little bit of GOO OFF. It’s not as bad but very little now. Cleaned the interior and applied some Meguiars UV protectant. Might just get a dash cover custom made or not sure if I’d like the look
Old 02-24-2020, 03:13 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
For the record, this issue affects cars all across the country- not just southern climates and also affects cars that are considered "garage queens." The issue is a result of poor manufacturing components and processes used either to save the damn "environment," or to save a buck.

There are several threads detailing those who are addressing this issue. By catching it early you might be able to prolong the inevitable. From what I've heard the 303 protectant is highly regarded.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-24-2020 at 10:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (04-14-2024)
Old 02-25-2020, 09:40 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
This was like when michelin warranty replaced my pilot sport as3 bc they weren't meant to be sold for my area. They told me this and replaced all 4 tires bc they were dry rotting only after a year and 3k miles. Discount tire called them and spoke to me no sending pics they authorized discount tire to replace them at no cost and got free road hazard as well
Old 03-04-2020, 02:36 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I just used 303 UV protectant every month and a sunshade to prevent the dash from melting and becoming sticky. I'm selling my 10 year old dashboard off my G that has no melting or stickiness at all, even while being in Cali and Florida.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:36 PM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
I just used 303 UV protectant every month and a sunshade to prevent the dash from melting and becoming sticky. I'm selling my 10 year old dashboard off my G that has no melting or stickiness at all, even while being in Cali and Florida.
Yes I picked some 303 to protect it and had the front windshield tinted. How much u asking for the dash?
Old 03-05-2020, 01:17 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by dailyg37
Yes I picked some 303 to protect it and had the front windshield tinted. How much u asking for the dash?
That’s some good protection you have set up. What percent did you get for the windshield? I’m asking $150, but I can’t ship it. It’s also stone colored. I used to think the color of the dash was the culprit for melting and stickiness (black absorbs heat) but I’ve seen a lot of stone colored dashes also melting and if I recall the older FX dashboards began to bubble, whether they’re light or dark colored. Having looked at dashboards for a couple months for my interior conversion, I noticed that mainly older G37s were plagued often with the melting/sticky dashboards and the newer ones had different texture and finish compared to the older ones.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 AM
dailyg37
Registered Member

That’s some good protection you have set up. What percent did you get for the windshield? I’m asking $150, but I can’t ship it. It’s also stone colored. I used to think the color of the dash was the culprit for melting and stickiness (black absorbs heat) but I’ve seen a lot of stone colored dashes also melting and if I recall the older FX dashboards began to bubble, whether they’re light or dark colored. Having looked at dashboards for a couple months for my interior conversion, I noticed that mainly older G37s were plagued often with the melting/sticky dashboards and the newer ones had different texture and finish compared to the older ones.
Thats a killer deal on that dash. Only if it was black to match the rest of my interior. And before I bought the car I have now, I looked at a black g37 with the light tan color interior and that dash was destroyed
Old 03-05-2020, 01:30 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
That's pretty crazy on the link. Funny thing was I discovered my own way of doing it that is very similar to that.

For gouging you use JB black silicone, fill and leave excess this way you can shave it properly with a razorblade
Once that dries go to Home depot and find yourself a black semi gloss interior house paint and paint the dash. ( The glue will act as adhesion to the paint)

Once that dries take the razor to any flaking parts that have stood up and apply a second coat.
The following users liked this post:
G37sPhoton (03-10-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by dailyg37
Thats a killer deal on that dash. Only if it was black to match the rest of my interior. And before I bought the car I have now, I looked at a black g37 with the light tan color interior and that dash was destroyed
Thanks man. I also hate how a lot of the steering wheel trims on the Gs go bad, as well as the steering wheel buttons that chip or become greasy like crazy. I'm also selling a brand new set of black, navigation steering wheel buttons that I got by mistake. There's a thread on the "Body Interior Exterior Lighting" section of a person who is redoing their whole interior and dash with possibly some leather or suede. Worth a good read. The Q50's dash quality is a whole lot better than our Gs, so Nissan/Infiniti listened to the previous gen's complaints. Since you've got front window tint, a sunshade, and will be using 303 then you will be golden and will most likely not experience those issues.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:20 PM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
That's pretty crazy on the link. Funny thing was I discovered my own way of doing it that is very similar to that.

For gouging you use JB black silicone, fill and leave excess this way you can shave it properly with a razorblade
Once that dries go to Home depot and find yourself a black semi gloss interior house paint and paint the dash. ( The glue will act as adhesion to the paint)

Once that dries take the razor to any flaking parts that have stood up and apply a second coat.
Yes that’s my next project when I get time. I have two small cracks outside air vents and one long one by the heater control. My plan was to use a black Silicone. Tape it off as close I could to the seem and run a Line down and texture it to the style of the dash
Old 03-05-2020, 07:28 PM
dailyg37
Registered Member

Thanks man. I also hate how a lot of the steering wheel trims on the Gs go bad, as well as the steering wheel buttons that chip or become greasy like crazy. I'm also selling a brand new set of black, navigation steering wheel buttons that I got by mistake. There's a thread on the "Body Interior Exterior Lighting" section of a person who is redoing their whole interior and dash with possibly some leather or suede. Worth a good read. The Q50's dash quality is a whole lot better than our Gs, so Nissan/Infiniti listened to the previous gen's complaints. Since you've got front window tint, a sunshade, and will be using 303 then you will be golden and will most likely not experience those issues.
Yes . This is just a start. I bought this car for a project haven’t decided what I’m do to it yet

Quick Reply: Sticky Dash