Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Is my paint job crap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is my paint job crap?

Soo my car was in an accident and got a brand new paint job from a body shop. I went to debadge my car, and after applying a bit of, non-excessive, heat from a heat gun, I was shocked to see that the paint changed colors. It went from the OEM vibrant red, to a very light, whitish red. I realized that the "G37S" badge had been masked off as a whole, when I noticed that in between the letters, the color hadn't changed one bit.

So aside from needing to repaint my trunk, I am worried about my paint job long term. I'm worried that after many months, a similar effect will happen from leaving my car in the sun. I asked the shop who painted it and they said that as long as I don't apply direct heat of high temperatures from something like a heat gun, then my paint job should last over the years.

So I ask you guys, what could have been the cause of this? Too thin of a clear coat? Just poor quality clear coat? Paint was still too fresh? Do I need to take preventative measures by re-clear coating the entire thing with a higher quality paint? Is my paint job utter crap, that is destined to fade over time?

Thanks!

Last edited by HotSawce; 05-09-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Wow. Unbelievable.
Thats a terrible job. Id demand better work the paint under the emblem looks so much better. Cannot believe they masked off the emblem lmao.
Shops get worse by the day.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Wow. Unbelievable.
Thats a terrible job. Id demand better work the paint under the emblem looks so much better. Cannot believe they masked off the emblem lmao.
Shops get worse by the day.
The paint around the emblem looked exactly like how it did under and in between the emblem until I applied heat from a heat gun.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:59 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Then you screwed it up. If the paint was was fresh then it didn't harden enough
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Then you screwed it up. If the paint was was fresh then it didn't harden enough
The paint job is about 5 months old. Surely it hardened a long time ago, right? Why do you think this happened?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You

cooked your paint with the heat gun dude why would you even use a heat gun in the first place just use floss..... heat f*cks stuff up looked at cars in very hot places.......you cooked your clearcoat from what it looks like to me just get your trunklid re sprayed or put emblems back on and leave it alone......just my 2 cents....I've been painting for about 8 years you either cooked it with the heatgun or burned it with a buffer
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lucasmdemele
cooked your paint with the heat gun dude why would you even use a heat gun in the first place just use floss..... heat f*cks stuff up looked at cars in very hot places.......you cooked your clearcoat from what it looks like to me just get your trunklid re sprayed or put emblems back on and leave it alone......just my 2 cents....I've been painting for about 8 years you either cooked it with the heatgun or burned it with a buffer
I used a heatgun because every vid I've seen on debadging uses one.. As for the change in coloration, yes the heat gun was obviously the cause. But the OEM paint didn't cook.. which means that the new paint job, in some way or another, isn't up to par.. And that's what I'm trying to understand; that is, why it happened to the new and not the old. And if I should be worried long term about the rest of the paint.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You

could always ask them what brand/paint system they used hopefully it was at least basecoat/clearcoat and not single stage.....you could contact the ppl u bought the car from but they lied about removing badges so I don't think I'd take thier word if your going to have trunk repainted wipe a corner with laquer thinner and see if your paint wipes off on the rag then you will know it's single stage (basically nail polish)paint
Old 05-09-2017, 11:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
FWIW, use a hair dryer to soften the badge adhesive, those heat guns are too concentrated and intense for that purpose. Sorry to see what happened, hopefully the rest of your cars' finish will hold up well over time.
G/L
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lucasmdemele
could always ask them what brand/paint system they used hopefully it was at least basecoat/clearcoat and not single stage.....you could contact the ppl u bought the car from but they lied about removing badges so I don't think I'd take thier word if your going to have trunk repainted wipe a corner with laquer thinner and see if your paint wipes off on the rag then you will know it's single stage (basically nail polish)paint
It was a two-stage. And he said that he actually used a lot of clear coat. And for some reason, I believe him.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Paint takes up to 2 months to fully cure. That's why they should have told you not to mess with paint besides basic washing no waxing or anything that can affect the paint curing
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
FWIW, use a hair dryer to soften the badge adhesive, those heat guns are too concentrated and intense for that purpose. Sorry to see what happened, hopefully the rest of your cars' finish will hold up well over time.
G/L
Or wait for warm day and let it sit outside and use dental floss
Old 05-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
1. if they masked the badge instead of removing and reinstalling it then you did not get a good paint job.
2. if it was just the heat gun that caused the paint to change the it would have changed in between the numbers. It didn't, so even though the heat gun was a bad idea, it is obviously a problem with the paint.

I would go to my insurance company and tell them you got poor work and see if they will get someone else to paint it.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:34 PM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks to me like they masked around the emblem instead of removing it and reinstalling after.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 AM
Paul Kirik

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazes me what people do and what kind of a hack job