Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Washing/waxing after new paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM
DeanMachine
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Washing/waxing after new paint

Recently had my rear quarter panel replaced and repainted (on insurance, thank goodness) after someone backed into my car with their SUV.

Anyone else have body/new paint work done? How long do you tend to wait before washing/waxing the new paint? My understanding is that doing so too early can trap solvents in the paint and cause damage.

Before

After
Old 10-20-2016, 03:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Glad you got it back to proper Need to ask your specific repair shop, mine (after getting T-boned) said to wait 90 days before applying any wax and especially any correction product like a rubbing compound. Also be sure to just wash w/ very mild soap in the mean time, like baby shampoo.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 PM
kennyk11
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can wash any time.. but I'd wait about 6 to 8 weeks before waxing
Old 10-21-2016, 05:45 PM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can wash, and even polish and correct new paint. Many people do so to get rid of the buffer trails that body shops tend to instill (body shops themselves oftentimes polish the new paint already before the car is returned to you).

What you want to avoid is waxing or sealing the paint until it has fully cured and there is no more outgassing. The length of time varies, but it is usually between 30-90 days. Best to check with the body shop that did the work.

As recommended above, use some sort of gentle shampoo in the meantime.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BSG1
You can wash, and even polish and correct new paint. Many people do so to get rid of the buffer trails that body shops tend to instill (body shops themselves oftentimes polish the new paint already before the car is returned to you).

What you want to avoid is waxing or sealing the paint until it has fully cured and there is no more outgassing. The length of time varies, but it is usually between 30-90 days. Best to check with the body shop that did the work.

As recommended above, use some sort of gentle shampoo in the meantime.
Had a jerk key a panel. Shop did a great job fixing and matching paint. The advice above aligns with what the body shop told me.