Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Hard Water stains on windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
louith
Registered Member

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts
Hard Water stains on windows

What do you guys suggest using for hard water stains??

i have used a buffer with window polish, i have used a clay bar, extra fine steel wool (0000 grit), and so far nothing has worked. Not sure what else i can do. Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Have you tried white vinegar?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:29 PM
louith
Registered Member

just vinegar on a cloth and rub?? i have not.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:34 PM
813G37S

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Use goof off, spray em down and let it sit, then wipe away. I recommend rainX as it serves as sort of a "window wax" to prevent water stains in the future...
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM
louith
Registered Member

i use rain-x anyway. the stains are from a previous owner. havent figured out a way to get rid of them lol.

i will try to goof off as well.

the stains kinda look like the water has 'etched' the glass.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM
813G37S

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by louith
i use rain-x anyway. the stains are from a previous owner. havent figured out a way to get rid of them lol.

i will try to goof off as well.

the stains kinda look like the water has 'etched' the glass.
Goof off should do it for you...then once you clear it, use rainX
Old 04-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
If you have used a polisher and glass polish with little to no improvement, you are not dealing with staining... you are dealing with etching.

Hard water is water that is full of minerals. When hard water is left to dry on a surface, the water evaporates and the minerals are deposited onto the surface which create what we call water spots. These mineral deposits can be removed with acid to neutralize the spots (as the minerals are basic), however if the minerals are left to sit for an extended period of time (sometimes just a matter of days), they can begin to etch into the surface. These etchings can cause permanent damage to paint, trim, glass, and metal. In some instances, the damage can be so severe that the only option is to repaint or replace the damaged area.

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern

If the damage has not reached the critically severe point yet, here are some tips on how to remove water spots (the same process can be used with glass).
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

Window Etching & Stain Removal | Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs by Brian Guy

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
Old 04-06-2016, 08:37 AM
louith
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If you have used a polisher and glass polish with little to no improvement, you are not dealing with staining... you are dealing with etching.

Hard water is water that is full of minerals. When hard water is left to dry on a surface, the water evaporates and the minerals are deposited onto the surface which create what we call water spots. These mineral deposits can be removed with acid to neutralize the spots (as the minerals are basic), however if the minerals are left to sit for an extended period of time (sometimes just a matter of days), they can begin to etch into the surface. These etchings can cause permanent damage to paint, trim, glass, and metal. In some instances, the damage can be so severe that the only option is to repaint or replace the damaged area.

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern

If the damage has not reached the critically severe point yet, here are some tips on how to remove water spots (the same process can be used with glass).
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

Window Etching & Stain Removal | Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs by Brian Guy

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Zach McGovern

My windows currently look like this. for the most part. What polish do you recommend? this is what i used so far and it didnt work:
Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11063 Glass Polish - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11063 Glass Polish - 8 oz.: Automotive

Glass looks much cleaner. you can see the water spots under certain light only. but i can still see it. if i can get a pic of it i will post but its hard to capture.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

The article from which that picture came mentions using Meguiar's M105 on a Megiuar's Microfiber Cutting Pad to achieve the results shown. Again, results will vary depending on the severity of the damage.

Glass is MUCH harder than automotive paint, and therefore removing below surface defects such as etching and scratches can be an extremely challenging task.

Zach McGovern
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 AM
louith
Registered Member

ok thanks! i just picked up some Chemical Guys hard water stain remover. i will try that out with a cutting pad.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

ok thanks! i just picked up some Chemical Guys hard water stain remover. i will try that out with a cutting pad.
Chemical guys water spot remover will not be as abrasive as a cutting compound, so keep that in mind if you do not see the results you are looking for.

A glass polish like Ceriglass or Glass Scrub will be the most abrasive.

Zach McGovern
The following 2 users liked this post by Detailed Image:
louith (04-06-2016), Upscale Speed (04-08-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
louith
Registered Member

sounds good. i will try those if the CG doesnt work.

with a glass scrub work with the front windshield? for the streaks left behind by the windshield wiper? its a visible streak/scratch from the wiper blade. not sure what the guy did to get that to happen.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

sounds good. i will try those if the CG doesnt work.

with a glass scrub work with the front windshield? for the streaks left behind by the windshield wiper? its a visible streak/scratch from the wiper blade. not sure what the guy did to get that to happen.
Scratches from wiper blades are a common issue and are visible on a large amount of cars over time... again, sorry to be unsure, but it depends on how severe the scratches are. Some will come out with some work, others are a lot more stubborn and can be impossible to remove. I don't have a ton of experience in this area to be completely honest.

-Zach
Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
louith
Registered Member

no big deal. i appreciate your help! hoping to fix my hard water stains on my windows this weekend.. weather permitting of course.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 AM
NickyP

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My windows are pretty bad too, I've tried vinegar, but it did nothing at all. I'd love to get a buffer and some cutting pads, but living in an apartment means I'd have to get something that runs on battery and would have to do it in many smaller sections as time and charge permit.

Quick Reply: Hard Water stains on windows