Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do you wash your G (prevent scratches)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I honestly think its impossible. :/ I wash car by hand only, Rinse it for 10 mins before I even wash it, I wash from the top down, and go section by section( Top only) then go back around and do the lower half, Rinse the MICO fiber mitt often, then shamy dry the same way and have a different shamy for the bottom, I STILL have scratch the car, The paint is too damn! soft!

I strong breeze will scratch the paint LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,587 Likes on 3,433 Posts
^^^
Washing top-down is good advice. I also have two different mitts... one for most of the car, and another for the lower sills and wheels.

If the OP takes the car to a reputable detail shop, he can establish a baseline that's easy to maintain afterwards. Years ago, when I had much less free time available because of career and baby girls, I used to bring both cars to a professional Detailer each Spring.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
[QUOTE=Rochester;3897953]^^^
Washing top-down is good advice. I also have two different mitts... one for most of the car, and another for the lower sills and wheels.

^^^ More good advice, notice he said mitts not sponges. Micro fiber is your friend here. NEVER use a chamois on these cars to dry them, it will swirl the crap out of the paint. Get some waffle weave micro fiber towels or bite the bullet and get a Master Blaster to dry the car with.(best 320 bucks I ever spent)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 AM
pgG37

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2 bucket system to wash and Im about ready to invest on a good leaf blower to dry my car
Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First, clean rims and tires, then with new wash water and two bucket system (both with grit guards in the bottom) wash from top to bottom, also with different mitt for bottom part of car.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Brian6t5
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What to do if you have well water?

Do you guys have any ideas or products to use when you have hard water? I have well water and if you don't dry the car immediately it will leave white spots all over. It's doesn't help that I have a black G.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian6t5
Do you guys have any ideas or products to use when you have hard water? I have well water and if you don't dry the car immediately it will leave white spots all over. It's doesn't help that I have a black G.
There are products (ONR has one too I think) that will help soften your wash water.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:27 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ i've heard of guys using a quick detailer spray while they dry. it is supposed to help reduce or eliminate water spotting caused by hard water. for a short while i lived in an area with hard water and it is a PIA to dry the car in time before water spotting. stay out of the sun while you wash/dry if you can.

like others here, i use two buckets w/grit guards and i wash top down. and i use two mitts - one M/F for the body and one for wheels/tires. i try not to wash any more than i "need" to in order to keep the cars looking fresh because no matter what you do the finish will get marred every time it is washed, even by hand using good technique.

one thing i recently learned was to use back and forth wash swipes, not circular. and i keep the wash mitt well soaped with quality Chemical Guy shampoo.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

I think a general outline should be at the very least (especially if you're looking at leveling/correction):

1. Wash
- Microfiber (wash mitts, waffle weave drying, buffing towels, etc)
- Start with wheels/tires
- Clean out buckets and refill
- Rinse and wash car from top to bottom
2. Clay
3. Correct/Level
4. Polish
5. Seal
6. Wax

Once you've done the clay through wax, drying the car is easy if you use the sheeting method. Even if you don't do the correction/leveling. Simply doing the clay bar then seal and wax will make such a difference. I use the Meguires Ultimate. I like the synthetics since they don't seem to muck up the rubber as much, but the carnuba will give you a better shine.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:46 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by pgG37
2 bucket system to wash and Im about ready to invest on a good leaf blower to dry my car
A shop vac works pretty good too. I also use my air compressor
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
A shop vac works pretty good too. I also use my air compressor
Wish I had a bigger tank. I only have like a 4 gallon pancake, though it may be enough to get the crevices and maybe engine area when I do that. Will have to check that out next time.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
d0nnoo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres what I use:

Container:
5 gallon bucket with grit guard

Fluids:
Optimum No Rinse Wash
Optimum Quick Detailer

Cloths:
Cobra Guzzler waffle weave microfiber
2 or 3 ultra plush microfibers
Chemical guys chenille wash mitt
Grout sponge thats been cut up in inch sections (works wonders for wheels)
- like this Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I recommend trying the following method:

Washing and Drying Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

Step 1: Insert your Grit Guard insert to the bottom of your bucket
Step 2: Fill your bucket with 3 to 4 gallons of warm water
Step 3: Pour in 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse per 2 gallons of water in your bucket
Step 4: Soak your wash media in the water and ONR solution
Step 5: Wash the surface using little to no added pressure and allow the ONR to lift contamination off of the surface
Step 6: Rinse your wash medium and glide it across the Grit Guard insert to help release as much contamination as possible
Step 7: Repeat steps 4 - 6 until your entire vehicle has been washed
Step 8: Blot dry using waffle weave drying towels
Step 9: Follow up with your choice of quick detailer and a plush microfiber towel to ensure no streaking or water is left behind
Old 04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Another suggestion for Rinseless and Waterless washes here! I keep the car clean enough and often that I almost never drag out the buckets and hoses anymore.

For Rinseless washes I use the Garry Dean Method I think it is.

Get one bucket and fill with Optimum NoRinse solution
Throw in a buch of quality, high GSM towels to soak
Remove a towel, fold into 4's and lighty wipe a section
Fold towel to clean side and wipe next section
Repeat until towel is "used" and place in laundry bucket
Grab a new towel from solution and repeat
This way dirt is never introduced into the cleaning solution
No need for grit guards or such
Waffle weave or super high GSM plush for drying. Yes you will use many towels with this method, but it is believed to be the safest option for washes.

Recommendations:
Optimum no rinse
Ultima waterless wash

Microfibers:
Pakshak
Microfiber tech
The rag company

Never use the brushes at a car wash. I would bring your own soap aswell. If you are using compound you almost always want to follow up with a polish. Skip the spray on wax from the wash, if you need to drive it home after the wash just inspect for any dirt or dust when you get there. Need be a quick wipe with waterless/quick detailer would be fine before application of your wax.

Back to my original point. You can skip all of that and do the Rinseless/waterless right at home in your garage/driveway! Happy detailing!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM
T_Buckets_223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d0nnoo
Heres what I use:

Container:
5 gallon bucket with grit guard

Fluids:
Optimum No Rinse Wash
Optimum Quick Detailer

Cloths:
Cobra Guzzler waffle weave microfiber
2 or 3 ultra plush microfibers
Chemical guys chenille wash mitt
Grout sponge thats been cut up in inch sections (works wonders for wheels)
- like this Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I recommend trying the following method:

Washing and Drying Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

Step 1: Insert your Grit Guard insert to the bottom of your bucket
Step 2: Fill your bucket with 3 to 4 gallons of warm water
Step 3: Pour in 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse per 2 gallons of water in your bucket
Step 4: Soak your wash media in the water and ONR solution
Step 5: Wash the surface using little to no added pressure and allow the ONR to lift contamination off of the surface
Step 6: Rinse your wash medium and glide it across the Grit Guard insert to help release as much contamination as possible
Step 7: Repeat steps 4 - 6 until your entire vehicle has been washed
Step 8: Blot dry using waffle weave drying towels
Step 9: Follow up with your choice of quick detailer and a plush microfiber towel to ensure no streaking or water is left behind
+1 to that, this works very well
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
T_Buckets_223

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
Another suggestion for Rinseless and Waterless washes here! I keep the car clean enough and often that I almost never drag out the buckets and hoses anymore.

For Rinseless washes I use the Garry Dean Method I think it is.

Get one bucket and fill with Optimum NoRinse solution
Throw in a buch of quality, high GSM towels to soak
Remove a towel, fold into 4's and lighty wipe a section
Fold towel to clean side and wipe next section
Repeat until towel is "used" and place in laundry bucket
Grab a new towel from solution and repeat
This way dirt is never introduced into the cleaning solution
No need for grit guards or such
Waffle weave or super high GSM plush for drying. Yes you will use many towels with this method, but it is believed to be the safest option for washes.

Recommendations:
Optimum no rinse
Ultima waterless wash

Microfibers:
Pakshak
Microfiber tech
The rag company

Never use the brushes at a car wash. I would bring your own soap aswell. If you are using compound you almost always want to follow up with a polish. Skip the spray on wax from the wash, if you need to drive it home after the wash just inspect for any dirt or dust when you get there. Need be a quick wipe with waterless/quick detailer would be fine before application of your wax.

Back to my original point. You can skip all of that and do the Rinseless/waterless right at home in your garage/driveway! Happy detailing!
I've been wondering about the Garry Dean Method now that winter ended here in Mass, it seems alot more time efficient and SAFER... how many microfibers do you personally tend to use doing this?? What is the least amount you think I can get away with??

Quick Reply: How do you wash your G (prevent scratches)?