Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Stupid me!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Stupid me!!

It was nice out and I ran my car through the car wash today. I usually back up into my garage, which Ive done hundreds and hundreds of times and on this particular day, with the warm weather and snow melting, the deck above my garage is dripping from the melting snow. Me, being worried about getting my freshly washed car wet, hurriedly back up into my garage....except i literally backed INTO my garage!!

Here's the damage. It's not horrible but it's still there:

I have no idea how to fix this . Any pros out there able to help me out? If I have to buy equipment, then I will...a porter cable perhaps? Some rubbing compound??? I have touch up paint but that's it.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That appears to be all the way through the clear coat and into paint unfortunately. Polishing will make it look a lot better but it will still be there. Also, polishing that area can be dangerous. If you tackle the job, refuse the urge to polish too aggressively there because it's right on that body crease and you can polish through the paint there easier than you might imagine in going over the crease with the polisher. Be careful.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Damn BB. You were supposed to say "no problem. That'll buff right out."
lol *sad*
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

There's always the chance that I'm wrong and it'll come right off.

Nah, I'm never wrong - you're screwed.

But seriously, it could polish out better than I expect considering I'm just looking at a photo and can't inspect it up close and personal. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks. The part on the fender isn't quite so bad and you may get a lot of improvement from polishing. The splash guard looks like it won't be as easy to get looking good again without repainting. The good news is, it shouldn't cost much at all to repaint it. It's very small and easy to take off.

That sound more optimistic?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by BooSa37
So true...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There's always the chance that I'm wrong and it'll come right off.

Nah, I'm never wrong - you're screwed.

But seriously, it could polish out better than I expect considering I'm just looking at a photo and can't inspect it up close and personal. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks. The part on the fender isn't quite so bad and you may get a lot of improvement from polishing. The splash guard looks like it won't be as easy to get looking good again without repainting. The good news is, it shouldn't cost much at all to repaint it. It's very small and easy to take off.

That sound more optimistic?
lol Yes that does. I didn't take any material out of the bumper...that's the good part. I'll probably take it into a shop and get an estimate since I have no idea how to fix it. I will learn though...oh yes...I will learn. haha

I figure it wouldn't cost much either but damn...I still feel really really stupid! I could use that money on other things.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
If you bring it to a body shop, they'll tell you that the entire panel needs to be repainted. Then you'll end up going through your insurance, $500 deductible gone. The car would be repainted and the paint will never be the same again.

I'd recommend that you try to polish it out first. It'll probably look pretty good. If youre still not satisfied, then bring it to a body shop.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Been there, done that! Let it live as a reminder and if it's the worst that ever happens to the car, no problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That appears to be all the way through the clear coat and into paint unfortunately. Polishing will make it look a lot better but it will still be there. Also, polishing that area can be dangerous. If you tackle the job, refuse the urge to polish too aggressively there because it's right on that body crease and you can polish through the paint there easier than you might imagine in going over the crease with the polisher. Be careful.
Purty much this.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM
xzeus
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch, hopefully you can polish it out. BB is very knowledgeable
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
LftSdDrv

How about this scenario, order new rear splash guards on ebay for $90 already painted. Then get the fender polished out, looks like that's where you have the least amount of damage. Hard to tell how deep the fender scrapes are.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

^^^ Good idea. I totally forgot that you can buy them prepainted.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
LftSdDrv

^^^ Good idea. I totally forgot that you can buy them prepainted.
Probably would have slipped my mind to but I just ordered a set last week.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
SwissCheeseHead

that's a great idea! I was going to get some polish (mother's or meguire's) and I have this dinky rotary buffer to see if I can get it out. I think it totally took off the paint though...but again, when I run my hand over it, it feels kinda smooth. No gouges, chips or anything.

Give me a shopping list fellas! and maybe a quick DIY on how to polish out scuffs...

Quick Reply: Help Stupid me!!