Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Hard Water Stains on Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
dopetime

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Hard Water Stains on Trunk

Car got sprinkled on by the plant sprinklers a couple weeks ago and they left hard water stains. I got a good amount of it off just with a normal wash and using vinegar to dissolve the calcium but still have some left that I can not get off. Any detailing experts have any recommendations? I do not have a PC or orbital buffer if thats whats needed.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have good luck with my Poorboy's polish & sealant combo. If it's still around after that, try something like Meguiar's Swirl Remover (which is less abrasive than scratch X). If it's still around after that, try scratch X and then swirl remover. Scratch X might leave some marring on black paint but swirl remover will smooth it out.

When you're buffing stuff out, try not to put down pressure on the pad. Let the abrasives of the polish wear it down. You don't want to leave holograms from pushing too hard.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
post pics!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
dopetime

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I have good luck with my Poorboy's polish & sealant combo. If it's still around after that, try something like Meguiar's Swirl Remover (which is less abrasive than scratch X). If it's still around after that, try scratch X and then swirl remover. Scratch X might leave some marring on black paint but swirl remover will smooth it out.

When you're buffing stuff out, try not to put down pressure on the pad. Let the abrasives of the polish wear it down. You don't want to leave holograms from pushing too hard.
For this polishing you would need a PC or machine buffer correct? can't be done by hand?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You can do it by hand.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Typically a washing, vinegar solution or clay bar will not remove the water marks, that only works when it's a light residue on the surface. Unfortunately many water marks actually lightly etch in to the surface and in these instances you'll need a stronger option. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. This is a really strong cleaning formula that should be used with care. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting from a less aggressive polish to a stronger one. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the majority of the surface imperfections from water marks and you'll also remove some of the swirls and oxidation so the entire surface looks like new again. For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. To remove the etchings in the paint there are only two options that I know of. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 AM
dopetime

Greg so when you say they stains are etched into the paint you mean into the clear coat correct, not the base, color paint? So that's why I need the polish to even out the clear coat again?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Acidic or Alkali Etching

Surface etching causes a concave indentation in the clear coat paint. Ultra violet (IR) infrared radiation (heat) causes the urethane clear coat to expand allowing contaminates to permeate; heat plus moisture (reactivity) greatly accelerates the corrosive abilities of these contaminants, for these reasons any acid or alkali should be neutralized

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-20-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dopetime
Greg so when you say they stains are etched into the paint you mean into the clear coat correct, not the base, color paint? So that's why I need the polish to even out the clear coat again?
Yes the marks are in to the clear coat. I've never heard of watermarks or common build ups etching through a modern clear coat instantly. A polish can almost always make it look perfect again to the eye, so yes that is why a polish is usually a must. Start off with a lighter polish like Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and move up to one like the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105. Ideally these are applied by a buffer but you can spot treat by hand pretty effectively. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI