Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear bra: worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm extremely upset that I didn't chip in the $$$ for one. My entire front bumper, including the lower lip and BOTH fenders + hood, need to repainted. There're more chips than I can even count.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
pro-tect mobile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaiderSuby
+1

I put on clear bra (different brand DIY kit from ebay) on the past 4 cars that me and my wife have. Off the 4 major brand, I would definitely recommend Avery Nano-Fusion, and stay off 3M.
Yes its really the best film out there right now. The sooner you can get it installed the better. Not sure why the paint is so poor on these cars but I instaleld a kit on my G35 and after 70,000 miles nio a single chip on it. It also protected my hood where someone thought they would key it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 AM
redz06

Experience with Clear Bra

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I got clear bra on my 2003 G35 coupe. The paint on those were pathetic as well. I had it put on by 1200 miles and still had 10-20 chips by the time it was installed. 4 years later I pulled off the bra because i was selling it and it had yellowed and looked terrible. Every spot where the hood had been hit with a stone that the bra protected from chipping actually chipped UNDER the bra. So now, i pulled off a bra that was speckled with Laser Red paint on the sticky side!!

So basically, the bra had just held the chips in place and had not protected the car from the chip. I've purchased a few cars since then and from now on i'll just repaint the front bumper and hood when i got to sell the car so that it looks perfect.
OK, I have an early 2003G35 sedan, purchased in summer 2002. Immediately after purchase I had an XPEL 3M bra installed on my car. This bra protected the covered areas from stones, bugs, etc. In 2010, the bra went brittle (problem with the original film) and had to be removed and was replaced by new 3M film. The original installer took care of this. I believe the removal was as pure PITA, but it was taken care of under warranty. My original 2002 paint under the bra looks great. In no way do I think that the bra is holding the paint together.

I also have the 3M film on a 2001 Corvette Z06 and a 2008 Corvette Z06, and I have ordered a new 2011 BMW 335i sedan. I have the 3M film on both Corvettes and will install it on the BMW.

It would be nice if the factory paint system were adequate to weather all of the stones, bugs, etc that the old systems could handle. Unfortunately that is not the case, so we must invest in the film.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM
D_Nyholm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redz06
OK, I have an early 2003G35 sedan, purchased in summer 2002. Immediately after purchase I had an XPEL 3M bra installed on my car. This bra protected the covered areas from stones, bugs, etc. In 2010, the bra went brittle (problem with the original film) and had to be removed and was replaced by new 3M film. The original installer took care of this. I believe the removal was as pure PITA, but it was taken care of under warranty. My original 2002 paint under the bra looks great. In no way do I think that the bra is holding the paint together.

I also have the 3M film on a 2001 Corvette Z06 and a 2008 Corvette Z06, and I have ordered a new 2011 BMW 335i sedan. I have the 3M film on both Corvettes and will install it on the BMW.

It would be nice if the factory paint system were adequate to weather all of the stones, bugs, etc that the old systems could handle. Unfortunately that is not the case, so we must invest in the film.
Well, that was my experience with 3m material only Laser Red Infiniti paint also installed in 2002. My cousin has xpel on her boxster that was installed about 3 years ago and it is already yellowing and fading. I have to say, when you first get the bra installed, it is great, just as time goes on it deteriorates much quicker than paint. Where I am at, I'd rather have the chips and then a full repaint of the front instead of this grimy yellow bra attached to the front of my car with questionable protection.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you do the rear view mirrors too. The dealer had mine done here, and they also did the door handles and front end (only 1/3 of the hood). I do not regret the extra cost because it will only help retain the value of the car over the years.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have 21,000 miles on my '09 and few chips already. Is it too late to apply the film?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM
pro-tect mobile

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Well, that was my experience with 3m material only Laser Red Infiniti paint also installed in 2002. My cousin has xpel on her boxster that was installed about 3 years ago and it is already yellowing and fading. I have to say, when you first get the bra installed, it is great, just as time goes on it deteriorates much quicker than paint. Where I am at, I'd rather have the chips and then a full repaint of the front instead of this grimy yellow bra attached to the front of my car with questionable protection.
Just as with anything else, there are great paint protection films and poor ones. The old Xpel film was terrible as well as the 3M film. I tested all of the films out there (and still do to this day) and have found that VentureShield Ultra and Avery Nano Fusion are the best films out. The both hold up very well and bothh have lifetime warranties. I have seen VentureShield pulled off of a car that was 6 years old and it looked just as good as new. The car sat outside everyday in the Texas heat but was maintained with Zaino. A lot of the yellowing issues and fading issues today are simply how they are maintained. Using a good sealant and not using anything abrasive (the same way you maintain your paint) will keep a clear bra looking new for many years. There is a reason why all the exotics and high end cars get it.. it simply works and does last if properly maintained.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Gonzo-the-Great

Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
Just as with anything else, there are great paint protection films and poor ones. The old Xpel film was terrible as well as the 3M film. I tested all of the films out there (and still do to this day) and have found that VentureShield Ultra and Avery Nano Fusion are the best films out. The both hold up very well and bothh have lifetime warranties. I have seen VentureShield pulled off of a car that was 6 years old and it looked just as good as new. The car sat outside everyday in the Texas heat but was maintained with Zaino. A lot of the yellowing issues and fading issues today are simply how they are maintained. Using a good sealant and not using anything abrasive (the same way you maintain your paint) will keep a clear bra looking new for many years. There is a reason why all the exotics and high end cars get it.. it simply works and does last if properly maintained.

Great point!!!

Just got my ventureshield 3M today on a new 11 G37S Sedan.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
mikelr

~~~Venture Shield all the way!!!~~~ very pleased with it's performance and the warranty...
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM
equetefue

How much is it?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Spingjp

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its well worth it i have venture sheild installed on my hood, bumper, mirrors and trunk lip on the bumper.. its so worth it.. i dont have a single scratch or rock chip on the front.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 PM
HappyG

I wish there is a time machine that I could use go back in time to install a clear bra the second my G was delivered.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM
kevinhorn

So I can buy Avery Nano-Fusion clear bra on Ebay? I asssume you did the install,can an idiot like me install it What was the cost?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM
NoMoneyNoHoney

Infiniti paint sucks and is easy to scratch. Not only will you protect your bumper from parking dings/scratches but also from rock/bug chip from freeway driving. And it's also a plus for when you want to sell your car. I would do it if I were you.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
equetefue

$$$?

That's all I need to know. Already have a tiny chip on the new M

Quick Reply: Clear bra: worth getting?