Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need some detailing advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some detailing advice

Picking up my 2011 vert next month. For my car now, I go to the car wash, but want to start handwashing my new car. Can a professional recommend some products for me to use and where I can get them?

Car wash, mitts, wheel cleaner for chrome wheels, tire dressing, window cleaner, leather conditioner, and towels to dry the car and wheels/tires.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
MarcHarris

Have you started by reading some of the articles on detailedimage.com and looking through some of their outstanding products? They even have a 25% off sale that ends today (23rd of March).
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM
weaver

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Have you started by reading some of the articles on detailedimage.com and looking through some of their outstanding products? They even have a 25% off sale that ends today (23rd of March).
I will check it out.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
Picking up my 2011 vert next month. For my car now, I go to the car wash, but want to start handwashing my new car. Can a professional recommend some products for me to use and where I can get them?

Car wash, mitts, wheel cleaner for chrome wheels, tire dressing, window cleaner, leather conditioner, and towels to dry the car and wheels/tires.

Thanks,

Matt

For wash, pick up at least 1 grit guard, and perferrably 2. Use the 2 bucket method. I use a microfiber wash mitt and I love them. Pick up a good sudsing shampoo. I use Megs Gold Class which you can get anywhere, but I also have Optimum No Rinse for winter time, and Chem Guys Citrus Wash when I need to clean the paint very well, remove grime and wax and anything else before I polish.

For window cleaners, I recommend Stoners Invisible glass.

Leather conditioner and cleaner I use the Lexol Products, but Leatherique stuff has good reviews. Stay away from armor all.

Also, for microfiber towels, I used to have the frame of mind that the stuff at target was just as good as the stuff online. I was wrong. The stuff from Detailed Image is the same price as the stuff from target and seems to absorb more water/dust vs. the target ones, and they seem to clean out better. Meaning after using the target ones for a few washes and to buff up residual dust after polishing, they lost some absorbency.

I would get 2 of the waffle weave drying towels, buy the DI microfiber cleaning detergent to wash your towels with, and then get whatever additional towels you will need for interior/exterior/wheels.

I purposely got different sizes and have different colors. I make sure the towels I use on wheels, I dont then use on my paint or interior.

Id also pick up a good wax or selant to protect your paint.

So my shopping list would be:
2 large buckets
2 grit guards
Good sudsing shampoo - Megs Gold Class
good microfiber wash mitts
your choice of wheel cleaner...... I normally use the left over suds from the wash bucket.
Lexol or Leatherique cleaner and conditioner for leather
stoner invisible glass for glass cleaner
your choice of tire dressing, I dont use any
And pick up 2 waffle weave drying towels for drying the car after washing, and your choice assortment of different microfiber towels for your needs.

And that 25% off detailed image sale is a GREAT deal. If I needed anything, Id jump on that ASAP. That allows you to get better products at the cheap armorall target price.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
weaver

Originally Posted by philter25
For wash, pick up at least 1 grit guard, and perferrably 2. Use the 2 bucket method. I use a microfiber wash mitt and I love them. Pick up a good sudsing shampoo. I use Megs Gold Class which you can get anywhere, but I also have Optimum No Rinse for winter time, and Chem Guys Citrus Wash when I need to clean the paint very well, remove grime and wax and anything else before I polish.

For window cleaners, I recommend Stoners Invisible glass.

Leather conditioner and cleaner I use the Lexol Products, but Leatherique stuff has good reviews. Stay away from armor all.

Also, for microfiber towels, I used to have the frame of mind that the stuff at target was just as good as the stuff online. I was wrong. The stuff from Detailed Image is the same price as the stuff from target and seems to absorb more water/dust vs. the target ones, and they seem to clean out better. Meaning after using the target ones for a few washes and to buff up residual dust after polishing, they lost some absorbency.

I would get 2 of the waffle weave drying towels, buy the DI microfiber cleaning detergent to wash your towels with, and then get whatever additional towels you will need for interior/exterior/wheels.

I purposely got different sizes and have different colors. I make sure the towels I use on wheels, I dont then use on my paint or interior.

Id also pick up a good wax or selant to protect your paint.

So my shopping list would be:
2 large buckets2 grit guards
Good sudsing shampoo - Megs Gold Class
good microfiber wash mitts
your choice of wheel cleaner...... I normally use the left over suds from the wash bucket.
Lexol or Leatherique cleaner and conditioner for leather
stoner invisible glass for glass cleaner
your choice of tire dressing, I dont use any
And pick up 2 waffle weave drying towels for drying the car after washing, and your choice assortment of different microfiber towels for your needs.

And that 25% off detailed image sale is a GREAT deal. If I needed anything, Id jump on that ASAP. That allows you to get better products at the cheap armorall target price.
here is what I have used in the past...i know, it is terrible

Kit car wash
simple green to clean the wheels and tires
sheepskin mitt..used too many times
left over towels from my bathroom
shammy
blade to dry the car
Meguires leather products
Black Magic tire dressing
Meguires waxes and polishes
One bucket I got from sam's that had laundry detergent in it at some point

I went ahead and put in an order since it was 25% off.
Here is what i got.

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash - 16 oz
DI Accessories White Bucket with Handle - 5 gallon 2
DI Microfiber Micro-Restore Microfiber Deterg - 32 oz
DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" 1
DI Packages Microfiber Sampler Kit 1
Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert 2
Lake Country Tire Dressing Applicator 1
Lexol Leather Conditioner - 16.9 oz 1
Optimum Tire Shine - 17 oz 1
Stoner Invisible Glass - 19 oz 1

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by weaver; 03-23-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Matt,

Thank you for the order I appreciate the support. Those products should help you with safe washing and other areas of your work. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask me directly (see my sig for my e-mail address). Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
weaver

Greg,

I didn't see the microfiber mitts, so I got them from somewhere else.

I do have a question for you. My car was built within the last few months, so can I put a wax or sealant on it when the car arrives or do I need to wait?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Greg,

I didn't see the microfiber mitts, so I got them from somewhere else.

I do have a question for you. My car was built within the last few months, so can I put a wax or sealant on it when the car arrives or do I need to wait?

Thanks,

Matt
We do have some mitts here if ever needed in the future:
DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt
DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt w/no thumb
Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge

New vehicles are baked dry so within a couple of days they can be sealed or waxed. If the car was repainted later on you would need to wait 30 - 90 days.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
weaver

New vehicles are baked dry so within a couple of days they can be sealed or waxed. If the car was repainted later on you would need to wait 30 - 90 days.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg[/QUOTE]

greg, so would I need a polish, glaze, sealant or wax or perhaps a combination. Also, I don't have an orbital buffer, so could I do it by hand?

Matt
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
philter25

greg, so would I need a polish, glaze, sealant or wax or perhaps a combination. Also, I don't have an orbital buffer, so could I do it by hand?

Matt
Sealants and waxes can be applied by hand, but its much easier with a buffer. If you do plan on getting polishes and a sealant, then get the buffer because it will save you a lot of time.

DI has a great combo kit with the Megs 105 and Megs 205. If I was starting from scratch, Id get that along with the lake country hydro tech pads and pick up the blackfire sealant and spray along with a pad to apply it.

With Megs 105 and Megs 205, you can handle most regular routine jobs for your car and the Blackfire sealant will gives you months of protection, whereas waxxes typically last 2-4 weeks.

For someone starting out, thats a good first step. Ive done over a dozen cars for friends, family, neighbors, and locals in my area and unless you are a professional, the DI buffer with Meguiars 105/205 combo will more than be adequate.

My shopping list would be as follows:
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads | Detailed Image

This gets all your polishing needs covered.

Buffer Pads Products - Detailed Image - pick a hydro tech crimson or a lake country blue fine finishing pad for applying your sealant.

Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz | Detailed Image - this is your sealant to apply every 4-6 months, as needed.

Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray with Polycharger - 16 oz | Detailed Image - and this is your spray to use after washing your car.

Couple that with the wash, dry, and clean up package you already bought, and you will be set for awhile. (and by awhile, I mean years.......)

Im sure Greg will chime in with other options and hopefully other members will also do so.

Im a minimalist, so Ive tried to trim down my supplies to whats needed. If a product comes out that replaced 2 products, Im all about that. My current arsenal in my garage is:

Wash and Dry:
2 grit guards - 2 bucket method, soap bucket and wash bucket, and then I have a smaller bucket which I use for wheels and tires. Never mix!
Megs Gold Class Shampoo - which I use for normal washes, this gets used the most
Optimum No Rinse - I use this in winter time for winter washes and I throw a splash of it in my rinse bucket
Chem Guys Citrus - I use this wash on my car only before I plan on adding a new coat of sealant. I will use this maybe 2-3 times a year. I think the instructions on the back are for 2 dilution levels, when I use it, its typically to get the car as clean as possible before adding more sealant, so I use the higher dilution.
2 waffle weave drying towels for drying the cars.

Claybar:
DI fine claybar. I use the plastic bag test to determine if I need to clay. I would argue that your average guy who just likes to take good care of his car could easily skip this step and never know he missed it and his car would turn out good. If theres any step I skip, its this one. And when I do friends cars or my family's cars, I always skip this step unless their paint has a lot of bonded particles to it.
Claybar lubricant: Whatever QD I am using, which is opticlean at the moment.

Polish:

Megs 105 on 2x lake country blue hydro tech pads.
Megs 205 on 2x lake country white polishing pad / Tangerine hydro tech pad.

Menzerna Power Finish 205S on Green lake country light cutting pad - I bought this 2 years ago before I got the Megs polishes and will use it until its gone. I prefer the M205 polish over this.
Menzerna PO85RD fine finishing polish on 2x lake country black polish pads - I use this for darker vehicles only as a finishing polish and sometimes when my car isnt scratched up at all, I use this as just a 1 step shine pop before more sealant.

Sealant:
Menzerna FMJ sealant on blue lake country finishing pad - I bought this 2 years ago and still have some left so Im using it until its gone. The FMJ IMO only lasts me a good 3 months, so ive been transitioning to the blackfire.
Blackfire sealant on crimson lake country hydro tech pad.
Blackfire

Quick Detailer:
Optimum opti-clean QD. I use this when the car is lightly dusty and I dont want to give it a full wash.
Blackfire spray with polycharger - I use this after I wash the car.

Wheel Sealant:
Poor boys wheel sealant - it works well, but with the stock G37S spokes, its a pain to add and buff off. Id prefer a spray on sealant to repel brake dust. But although its time consuming to apply, it works well and smells nice.

Leather:
Lexol spray cleaner and lexol conditioner.

Glass:
Stoner invisible glass

Wheel wells, interior, carpet, engine bay, etc.:
Megs D103 All Purpose Cleaner - I spray this on everything. I let it agitate in wheel wells to get off any dirt, I use it on the dash, trim, engine bay, etc.
P21S total Auto Wash - this is a great degreaser, but its expensive. It works fantastic though and I used to use it as my total auto wash degreaser before I bought the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

Tar:
Stoner tarminator. I bought this because my moms car had tar on it. Works like a charm.

And to add again, the 25% off sale is fantastic. I typically have my family buy me more products around Xmas time. DI has done 20% off around the November timeframe which is when I usually get stuff. I dont think I have ever seen them offer more than 25% off.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
weaver

Gonna take your advice and order the following:
Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray with Polycharger - 16 oz
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
Lake Country Hydro Tech Crimson Ultra Fine Finishing Pad - 6.5 inch
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 - 128 oz

Should that just about do it for everything that would be needed on the car, in addition to what I already bought?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got into detailing (I still consider myself a newbie) about 10 years ago and have found that nothing works better than learning to use a PC buffer properly. It makes everything easier.

I have had my black on black G37 about 5 weeks and finally got around to detailing it. Wash, clay bar (nothing came off and I did the whole car) body and glass, light polish, wax and admire. I have done a considerable amount of reading, experimenting, and sweat. I will admit here and now that I get lazy occasionally and took my old G35 to a car wash during the winter. Yes it swirls the paint and yes I can get it off. I do not have a garage or a place to work indoors so everything is done outside.

For me, the step I skip the most is clay. Detailing is satisfying and fun. Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM
philter25

Gonna take your advice and order the following:
Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray with Polycharger - 16 oz
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
Lake Country Hydro Tech Crimson Ultra Fine Finishing Pad - 6.5 inch
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 - 128 oz

Should that just about do it for everything that would be needed on the car, in addition to what I already bought?

Thanks

Absolutely. Youd be in great shape and would have a great arsenal of products.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM
weaver

Gonna need some more towels. I used two of the big ones and it was still wet so I used a third smaller one and it was still wet in a few spots. I am going to make a list of everything I need and send another order in. I did detail the engine and it looks great. Also put some rain x on the windsheild and washed the wheels and tires and the car itself. I just used two buckets. Seperate brush and mitt for the wheels and tires and another mitt for the car.

I noticed the mitt's don't hold the soap, so would it be okay to put some right on the mitt? I put a capful in the bucket filled up halfway. I am not used to using the mitts, so that is gonna take some getting used to. I cleaned up the few water spots I had with a towel. Since I don't have any compressed air tanks, going to use the canned air in the mirrors and on the lug nuts. That should get the remaining water out when I wash. Next plan is to clean the interior, just glass and leather. I need to find something to use on all of the trim in the interior. She looks great other than the orange peel on the paint, but I will take care of that as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Brooklynstar23

Anything made by chemical guys is the best...I threw away my megs and mothers stuff when I saw what the chemical guys products did for my car..A+++

Quick Reply: Need some detailing advice