Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is everyone beef with turtle wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What is everyone beef with turtle wax?

Im picking up my 2010 g37x coupe on the 26th this month, and im stocking up on car care products. Ive been making some lists and reading consumer reports on certain products. And why do so many people say turtle wax is garbage, while others say its the best thing ever. Bottom line is... should i get turtle wax wax/polish or mequiars? Turtle wax is way cheaper, but for my baby money isnt an object right now. So? whats the verdict?

And if anyone says mequiars is really bad, what do you recommend? Man thers way too many products to choose from.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Ask yourself this: Have you ever heard of any professional detailers using Turtle Wax? If not, why do you think that is? There are people that swear Armor All is the best thing ever for tires and some who wouldn't use it to put out a fire. Opinions are all over the place, but I tend to listen to people who use the products to earn a living.

Meguiars makes everything form auto parts store consumer crap to a professional line. Take a look into the products by reading on some detailing forums like autopia.org.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Steveo47

alright ill take a look, thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Ask yourself this: Have you ever heard of any professional detailers using Turtle Wax? If not, why do you think that is? There are people that swear Armor All is the best thing ever for tires and some who wouldn't use it to put out a fire. Opinions are all over the place, but I tend to listen to people who use the products to earn a living.

Meguiars makes everything form auto parts store consumer crap to a professional line. Take a look into the products by reading on some detailing forums like autopia.org.
I agree. Meguiar is kinda of a strange brand since they make pretty good and BS product at the same time.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at it this way. If you can buy it at pepboys and autozone, its crap.

If you cant buy it here, dont buy it.

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Said, BB!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
Look at it this way. If you can buy it at pepboys and autozone, its crap.

If you cant buy it here, dont buy it.

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies
what about glossers and microfiber towels from there
Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Lazarus

My father in law has a early 90s 318. That car looks soooooo good. He washes it every week spending the entire day. Anyways he gets products from the car show at the Jacob Javitts in NY, I can't remember exactly what he gets but he swears by it.

I like Zaino Bros.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazarus

I like Zaino Bros.
me too! Ive used their products on my previous Athens Blue G35 Coupe and now on my G37 Coupe. Love their products, the ease of use along with its simplicity. I'd love to spend extra on orbitol buffers and the other good stuff like menzerna and etc but in the end Zaino always pulls through along with other products such as Chemical Guys..
Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+10000. A bottle of turtle wax is only a couple of bucks for a reason. Don't waste your money and pick up a good sealant/carnuba combo from Detailed Image or eshine.ca. Your G will be much appreciative.

What colour is your G?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The only Meguiars product I use is their quick interior detailer. Very cheap and easy to apply to keep the interior in top shape. And DI carries it, but soes does Walmart. Meguiars also has a final detailer/gloss enhancer that I might end up trying when I run out of my Optimum quick detailer.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I may be the only one here that will defend Turtle Wax, but I've been using Turtle Wax for many years and IMO it's amazing. I love it and my G looks drop dead gorgeous after waxing with TW. I also use the F21 vinyl protector for the interior vinyl.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I may be the only one here that will defend Turtle Wax, but I've been using Turtle Wax for many years and IMO it's amazing. I love it and my G looks drop dead gorgeous after waxing with TW. I also use the F21 vinyl protector for the interior vinyl.
Have you tried higher end waxes? If you havent than yeah TW is amazing when compared to nothing.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35R
Have you tried higher end waxes? If you havent than yeah TW is amazing when compared to nothing.
Yes, I have. And yes they are great, I'm not saying they aren't at all. But I can't justify paying 5x's as much $$ for something that IMO is no better
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
+10000. A bottle of turtle wax is only a couple of bucks for a reason. Don't waste your money and pick up a good sealant/carnuba combo from Detailed Image or eshine.ca. Your G will be much appreciative.

What colour is your G?

my G is gonna be black, im picking her up this friday.

Quick Reply: What is everyone beef with turtle wax?