Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Detailed Her car finally. Lots of pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Detailed Her car finally. Lots of pictures.

Warning: If you don't have a lot of time or patience this post may be a waste of your time and you may be better off just hitting the back button right now. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy my ramblings.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Kevin. The girl that lives with me (or "girlfriend" for those who are touchy feely), bought a G37 in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:State>Arizona back in December. She was working out of <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Dallas </st1:City>at the time but brought the G home for New Years. The moment I saw it in person I was sick. The dealer had really done a number on the paint job. I knew the paint was soft but this was ridiculous. If they weren’t 1500 miles away I would have marched in there and demanded a fix. It was the middle of winter so I didn’t do anything about it at the time.
A month or two ago I won a jar of Migliore Original Blend wax from a contest put on this site by Don@Migliore. Once the weather started clearing up I decided it was finally time to get the paint repaired and detail the car. I enlisted the help from a good friend of mine who does detailing on the side. We started in my garage but I ended up taking the car over to his place so he could give it his all. It took four days to get the paint back the way it should have been. <O</O
The list of products used for all this is pretty big so I’ll dumb it down to what I know. I know we started by clay barring the thing with Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Wolfgang Clay Lubricant. I bought the Ultra clay because of the soft paint and because neither one of us had ever tried it before. After clay barring, he used some Menzerna polish and a PC 7424. He did not break out the Flex in fear of the paint being so soft. To be honest, he used a number of different polishing compound/pad combinations and a number of passes to polish out all the swirls. Then we sealed it with the Jet Seal 109 I bought from detailedimage (a site sponser). The Jet Seal is awesome. A whole lot easier to apply and remove compared to Klasse. Now we’ll see how well it holds up. After sealing, we used the Migliore Original Blend wax. <O
I’d like to write a big review on this wax but I’m going to be honest and tell you I don’t know enough about different waxes to give a meaningful review. This is what I can tell you: The wax smells awesome and as soon as you open the lid, happiness surrounds you. The Original Blend has a yellow hue to it, not white. Some detailers like to flip the jar over and remove the wax as one solid chunk in order to apply the wax to a pad, this jar design does not allow for that. The wax goes on easy and quick. After attempting to apply by hand, we realized it was going on too thick so he broke out the PC and applied by machine. This is where things got complicated. We either didn’t wait long enough for the wax to cure or the wax is just difficult in nature to remove. When I say “difficult”, what I really mean is, not as easy to take off as a lazy-mans wax. After a little effort, the wax came off and the car was pretty much done. I'll add another layer of wax in a couple weeks. It adds great depth to the red.
<OBefore we started the paint, I had already detailed most everything else. For the interior and engine bay of the G37, I highly recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. I used three or four different things and the 303 (even with the non-flashy bottle) works the best (I got this from detailedimage as well). For the tires I used Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish.</O
I’m going to show you some pictures now. I’m not very good at taking pictures of the swirls in the red paint but I’ve done my best. I’ve learned that these pictures very greatly from monitor to monitor. I have four computers with six monitors in my house and the pictures show up real well on some monitors and not so well on others. It all depends on your settings and lighting.

Here are a couple pictures of what the paint started out like.
</O

<O

<O
</O
<O</O
<O
Here's a couple pictures of my friend Curt starting with the clay and then starting the polish.
</O
<O</O

</O

Depending on your monitor and lighting in the room, you can see the before and after of just one pass of the polisher.
</O

</O

It was at this time that we decided to move the car to his place. Here's a shot of him finishing up the polishing.
</O</O
<O

And the car all polished up.

<O

<O

</O
<O

Then the Jet Seal 109 was applied.</O
<O
</O
Here's a look at his arsenal.</O
<O

After sealing came the wax. Migliore Original Blend

</OAnd the final results.

<O

It's hard too see the depth.

</OHere's some of the stuff I've bought recently just because of Her car. This is mostly from detailedimage and autogeek.

</O
<O<O

It was way too sunny to get any good pictures outside but hopefully you get the idea.

That was last week. The car has since been lowered and the rear valance blacked out.<O</O
Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats chiny mang!!!

Looks like there are florescent lights mounted to the hood.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks sick and clean man. Love your detail that you put into this G
Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks great man

Detailed Image and Migliore Wax do it again
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
SOLISIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for giving me hope with my VR, it looks like that
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
elite

Great job! Very shiny! elite likes! My car is in dire need of that.

It's random rain season here. So might have a small detail and then spend a week of vaca cleaning my car
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good.

I got to get one of those rolling stools as I get tired and then go too fast when polishing.....called old age I am told.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
"I don't have a girlfriend, but I do know a chic who'd be pissed if she heard me say that..." - The late great Mitch Hedberg.

The pictures look just fine on my monitor. Great job. The red really pops. I agree with you on the Migliore Original - it is easy to apply too much and if you put it on heavy it's a bit tacky to remove but does come off with a little effort and leaves a great shine. I'm not a fan of the smell though, kind of like pine trees I guess. Don said he would be changing the fragrance to the aroma of grilling USDA Prime ribeye steak just accommodate me.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks all. Details details details...

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
Thanks for giving me hope with my VR, it looks like that
There's always hope.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Don said he would be changing the fragrance to the aroma of grilling USDA Prime ribeye steak just accommodate me.
You like cow too? I love cow. I was born and raised in Nebraska and I started working when I was 15 to pay for my first car. My first job, a steak house. Less than two miles from the slaughter house. Walk into the place smelling dead cows, have the best steak of your life, and walk out of the place smelling dead cows. It was the bombdiggity!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
CrackHeadMonsta

That's beautiful!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM
chamelieon

holy batman! its a red mirror with wheels!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great, Im due for a good detail, winter swirls like crazy.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Good job!! I was wondering what did you use the fade 2 Black on? I know that glass scrub works good on with a PC and a blue pad slapped on to it. It truly removes hard water spots.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow awesome job!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

Looks great Kevin, I appreciate the good words.

-BlackBetty: We've since added a fragrance, it smells amazing now .

Quick Reply: Detailed Her car finally. Lots of pictures.