Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Letting the dealership wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Orbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now I am very **** about how my car is cleaned and who touches it. I do take it in for service at Infiniti but each and every time I tell them NO wash! It is true that Infiniti will wash your car after every service, which is nice but for me the guys getting paid minimum to wash my car don't care too much about washing them well. As long as it gets washed and dried they're doing their job. Long ago when I mistakingly had them wash my car they marred the paint horribly. A few deep scratches and the swirl marks from hell. I looked at all the other serviced cars and all of them had the same hologramming effec/spiderweb effect. Guy probably used the same towel drying all of them, you know, the same one that also fell on the ground a few times.

I can agree with BM's post though that when I start a family and my time becomes less and less I may have to relax my constraints on the cleaning. Hopefully that doesn't happen for a while though I spend a good 2-3 hours cleaning my car when I choose to, although I consider it very relaxing. But I suppose when I have kids I won't really be able to just step away for that long all the time.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Garnet!

I've been very successful just using a Meguiar's clay bar and Mother's California Gold.

My biggest problem is bugs. My 84 mile round trip commute takes me across a large lake and the bugs sometime can be incredible! I'm talking it looks like felt on the front end!

While we are on the subject of detailing, I read the most interesting tip on fixing stone chips on the Acura TL forum a while back.

You do the obligatory cleaning of the area, and slowly build up the paint until you are above the "good" surface. Then to knock down the touch-up paint, this guy used a rag with some diluted thinner (NOT lacquer thinner), and rubbed it flat to the surface. It was amazing. If I can find that thread, I'll post a link. Advance apologies if it has been posted here before. Remember I'm a newbie so be gentle!

I'm going to play with that on the TL before my G37 comes in.

gurney
Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Thanks, Garnet!

I've been very successful just using a Meguiar's clay bar and Mother's California Gold.
That is fine if you are merely protecting your paint, however if you've got swirl marks and spider webbing, Mother's California gold products won't help you. That is when the PC and an abrassive polish is needed.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
skaterbasist

Let's see. The dealer has done an oil change with 1 less quart than their own Infiniti manual recommends; they've changed out my 2006 headlights under recall, which were perfectly good to begin with, with headlights with aiming issues...

I don't think I'll let them wash my car. They did it once, and I spectated to see with how much importance they do the wash; it seemed more like a drive-thru than a wash.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Queenskid24

i say nay to letting a dealer detail a new car. I work at a dealer, and by no means am I saying all dealers worrk the same way but they have to move the cars so as long as it looks clean thats all the care about, they could care less about Swirls, etching, using MFs to wipe the car down..it sucks IMO. i guess thats what us detailers are around for.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

I never let anyone wash my car but me, PERIOD.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 PM
FluentDesigns

Originally Posted by Wicked_limitz
I never let anyone wash my car but me, PERIOD.
nuff said.. I agree!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Memphoman

I DO let them wash my car, it does have a good coating of Zaino and they do a very good job. I only stress that they do NOT odorize my interior with the fragrance of the day...
Old 09-08-2007, 01:32 AM
ABQG35c

Originally Posted by N50
As with anything...the only way you know something is going to be done right is to do it yourself. If you are worried about swirls, tell them not to wash it, take it home, and do it yourself. Problem solved.
If they leave swirls, you go right back and tell them to fix that sum-bich with a wax job that they pay for at a detailer shop.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 AM
IP37

they won't be touching my car.. the local dealer has only gotten 2 g37s in, and the 2nd one they got has a black scuff mark on the back of it that looks like it won't come off.. who knows how that got there.

sucks though, because they offer free car washes. you can go there like once a week and have them wash it for free
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM
umterps2000

Hey all. Just got my G37 6MT Sport Blue Slate a week ago. The car is awesome. I can't wait to get past the break-in period and open it up. However, I am noticing that my car seems to have swirls all over it. I park under a street light, so it really it is noticeable at night under the light. I'm certainly no expert on paint jobs, so I'm looking to get some opinions on this. This is kind of hard to explain, but the swirls seem to be perfectly patterned as you walk around the car. Perfect circles and in some places, it almost looks like a weave. Would a bad wash from the dealer cause this? I questioned this to the dealer and he told me that it is by design. I went back to the dealership and noticed it on another G37 as well. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by umterps2000
Hey all. Just got my G37 6MT Sport Blue Slate a week ago. The car is awesome. I can't wait to get past the break-in period and open it up. However, I am noticing that my car seems to have swirls all over it. I park under a street light, so it really it is noticeable at night under the light. I'm certainly no expert on paint jobs, so I'm looking to get some opinions on this. This is kind of hard to explain, but the swirls seem to be perfectly patterned as you walk around the car. Perfect circles and in some places, it almost looks like a weave. Would a bad wash from the dealer cause this? I questioned this to the dealer and he told me that it is by design. I went back to the dealership and noticed it on another G37 as well. Thoughts?
Yes, one single wash with a poor quality mitt or a sponge will definitely cause this. And your dealership is full of crap saying it is by design.

Never let anyone wash your car except yourself.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
umterps2000

Thanks for the response. I guess sometimes you have to learn things the hard way. I'll definitely not let them wash it in the future. To follow up, I called the Sales Manager who sold me the car and he told me that every car he has on his lot is the same. I did notice one other car that had the same issue. He is insisting that is the way the cars are coming to him. He told me it is due to Cross-linking Clear Coat Paint (NCLC) that they use. Anyone familiar with NCLC? I'm going to find a professional detailer in the area to have them take a look at it as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

IMO, your Sales Manager doesn't know jacksh!t.

NCLC just provides a higher level of protection against environment items that can damage your paint and reduce scratches. Using NCLC has nothing to do with having paint imperfections from the factory like your Sales Manager is suggesting.

The reason that all of their cars on the lot are the same is more than likely related to the same poor washing habits.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Put a huge note in your car every time you take it to that dealership to NOT WASH YOUR CAR.

I used to work for a MB dealership and the guys that washed those cars would drop the shammis, mits etc on the ground and just keep going on their work without rinsing or cleaning them off. that is what causes swirls. They are super fine scratches in the clear.

Fully detail it. Use a soap made for car washing (meguiars gold class), a nice wool or microfiber mit (always keep it clean), and a nice bucket. rinse, wash, dry using 100% cotton or i use a microfiber towel drying thing. Then I would Clay Bar it, put a polish on it then a nice coat of wax. This should remove most of hte BS the dealer did. Feel free to hit me up if you live in So. Cal.

Quick Reply: Letting the dealership wash your car?