Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldnt find the Acrylic Jett as a sealer for my 2 week old IP and i used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, because that is all they have at the store. Is this ok or should i change it or combine it with something else? I want that nice glossy look. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Taktix1
George! Help! I picked my car up from the shop and on the trunk there was this small orange drop on my car. I wiped off the crust with some QD but it left an orange circle on the trunk still.

what can I use to get this off? I've tried QD and Meguiars Paint Cleaner. The paint cleaner made it a bit lighter and some of the orange came off on the applicator pad but it's still really noticeable! ahhhhh
It sounds like it's right on the surface. I'd pick up a clay bar kit and try that first. If that doesn't do the trick, consider using a light abrasive polish to wear it down or use a degreaser such as Stoner Tarminator or 3M Adhesive Remover for something stronger. One of those methods should do the trick for you.

Originally Posted by n_jay888
I couldnt find the Acrylic Jett as a sealer for my 2 week old IP and i used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, because that is all they have at the store. Is this ok or should i change it or combine it with something else? I want that nice glossy look. Thanks for the help.
True results come from properly prepping your paint, which includes removing contamination (washing and claying) and removing imperfections (polishing with abrasive polishes). When you have mastered these steps, this will add up to 90% or more of your results. The remaining 10% comes from the sealant and wax combo you choose, which also adds protection as well. A good starting point would be to read over our auto detailing guide which will give you a great idea on what each step of the detailing process is trying to achieve as well as helpful tips on how to perform each step.

If you have any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
It sounds like it's right on the surface. I'd pick up a clay bar kit and try that first. If that doesn't do the trick, consider using a light abrasive polish to wear it down or use a degreaser such as Stoner Tarminator or 3M Adhesive Remover for something stronger. One of those methods should do the trick for you.
George,
Clay barring didn't work. I got my detailer to use a light abrasive polish and it lightened the spot but it's still noticeable, just barely. I'll give the degreasers a shot, thanks!

BTW: Any opinions on a good carnauba wax for light colors (IP?) I know Natty's blue is recommended for dark colors. Anything for light?

Last edited by Taktix1; 07-01-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
George,
Clay barring didn't work. I got my detailer to use a light abrasive polish and it lightened the spot but it's still noticeable, just barely. I'll give the degreasers a shot, thanks!

BTW: Any opinions on a good carnauba wax for light colors (IP?) I know Natty's blue is recommended for dark colors. Anything for light?
have u tried a sealant instead of wax? if i had a light color car, i'd go with a good sealant

menzerna FMJ
or if u want something cheaper
M-seal
or poorboy's ex-p
Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
have u tried a sealant instead of wax? if i had a light color car, i'd go with a good sealant

menzerna FMJ
or if u want something cheaper
M-seal
or poorboy's ex-p
I used Optimums Poly-Seal over the weekend. Results seemed pretty good. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
George,

If the light abrasive lightened the spot, then you know that method was working. He should have known to keep going more and more aggressive (all the way to wet sanding) until the spot was removed, then polished back down finer and finer until the clear coat was back to normal. A degreaser probably won't do much if a clay bar didn't do the trick.

I used Optimums Poly-Seal over the weekend. Results seemed pretty good. Has anyone had any experience with it?
I had a chance to see it in action last week while I was away. Great product. A great bang for the buck right now is the 4th of July sale we have on our Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant for $18.99, normally $27.99. Bang for the buck, should be the best looking sealant we have for light colors. On lighter colors, consider either of the P21S waxes, a lot of enthusiasts love the look it gives on lighter paint.

Let me know how the spot turns out, you should be close to removing it soon.

Cheers,

George
Old 07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If the light abrasive lightened the spot, then you know that method was working. He should have known to keep going more and more aggressive (all the way to wet sanding) until the spot was removed, then polished back down finer and finer until the clear coat was back to normal. A degreaser probably won't do much if a clay bar didn't do the trick.

I had a chance to see it in action last week while I was away. Great product. A great bang for the buck right now is the 4th of July sale we have on our Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant for $18.99, normally $27.99. Bang for the buck, should be the best looking sealant we have for light colors. On lighter colors, consider either of the P21S waxes, a lot of enthusiasts love the look it gives on lighter paint.

Let me know how the spot turns out, you should be close to removing it soon.

Cheers,

George
Thanks for the info George. If I'm looking for just the best possible shine/duration and not necessarily "bang for the buck" what product would you recommend?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
ObsidianGT

Hey George, is there any way to delay shipping multiple orders until a certain date to save on shipping? I'm the type that likes a good deal (who doesn't, right?).

For example, say a wax is on sale on day 1, and then a sealant is on sale day 2, could they be shipped together on day 2? Or is the shipping cost sort of the catch?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
ObsidianGT

Thanks for the info George. If I'm looking for just the best possible shine/duration and not necessarily "bang for the buck" what product would you recommend?
If I might interject, I've heard nothing but great stories about Menzerna's Full Metal Jacket, and their competitor's option, Chemical Guy's Jetseal 109. Both are polymer-based and both are available on the DI website.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thread below might interest you regarding your question about waxes for your IP G37.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223040
Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Taktix1

Thanks for the link Garnet! I see a lot of waxes/sealants that IP is listed under though, I'm looking for what you think is the BEST so far. Or is this something that is more trial and error?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Thanks for the link Garnet! I see a lot of waxes/sealants that IP is listed under though, I'm looking for what you think is the BEST so far. Or is this something that is more trial and error?
In all honesty, it's all trial and error IMO. The reason I say that is because what I find might looks best on IP might be totally different than what you might find looks best. Looks are subjective and everyone has different tastes and sees different things. This is the main reason why I try and use as many different products as possible.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
In all honesty, it's all trial and error IMO. The reason I say that is because what I find might looks best on IP might be totally different than what you might find looks best. Looks are subjective and everyone has different tastes and sees different things. This is the main reason why I try and use as many different products as possible.
I'm thinking of trying some of the chemical guy's products. Can a sealant be applied by hand? or does it require the use of a PC? Last weekend I put on some Optimum Poly-Seal, if I got some other sealant, could I add another layer this weekend or would that be useless?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

I'm thinking of trying some of the chemical guy's products. Can a sealant be applied by hand? or does it require the use of a PC? Last weekend I put on some Optimum Poly-Seal, if I got some other sealant, could I add another layer this weekend or would that be useless?
Yes, a sealant can be applied by hand. Same goes for glazes and waxes. Also, sealants can most definitely be layered.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yes, a sealant can be applied by hand. Same goes for glazes and waxes. Also, sealants can most definitely be layered.
What should I be using to apply it? Since it has been a week after I detailed the car, should I go over everything with QD first or give it a wash? Is there a proven method to applying sealant? Sorry for so many questions, I just got into detailing and just dont want anything to go wrong!

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image