Canada Serving Canada.

This is what a service tech does after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Reason number 41 why one should not go to the dealer for a simple oil change. Unnecessary exposure to numbskull potential. Simple DIY or take it to a trusted independent or quick change with your own parts.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
pretty absurd for a dealership to break tires loose after an oil change.

Add another reason to the list of reasons I don't trust the stealership.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 AM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow thats where i bought my car! damn
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
The "season 2" blackvue apparently addressed the overheating issue. We'll see when it arrives here
I have the 2, in Texas heat, no overheating problems. Then again, you're in an area 100 degrees hotter than we are.

No problems on bitrate either. Here's my mini-review:
Mini-review of the BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

p.s. OP, other than a little wheelspin, i really don't see a big deal with how they "test" drove it. Granted, some things weren't all the required. Just be thankful they didn't do worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
soundmike

The "season 2" blackvue apparently addressed the overheating issue. We'll see when it arrives here
I have the 2, in Texas heat, no overheating problems. Then again, you're in an area 100 degrees hotter than we are.

p.s. OP, other than a little wheelspin (on what looks like wet road), i really don't see a big deal with how they "test" drove it. Granted, some things weren't all the required. Just be thankful they didn't do worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
KennyG37S

Well, yes there are no damage done, beside some gas, some rubber and some clutch wear, but this is not the point. And one of you pointed it out, its the matter of principle.

It could be a lot worse and luckily it wasnt. But my action would potentially save one of you (if you go alta) or someone else's car from being the "a lot worse" situation.

Anyways, they say they will get back to me today, we will see how they give their explanation.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike

Thanks for the reassurance Let's see how mine hold up.

Originally Posted by KennyG37S
Well, yes there are no damage done, beside some gas, some rubber and some clutch wear, but this is not the point. And one of you pointed it out, its the matter of principle.

It could be a lot worse and luckily it wasnt. But my action would potentially save one of you (if you go alta) or someone else's car from being the "a lot worse" situation.

Anyways, they say they will get back to me today, we will see how they give their explanation.
Hypothetically speaking, would you be able to press charges? Or would you recording the tech driving your G fall under invasion or privacy? How does the law work in such a scenario?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance Let's see how mine hold up.

Hypothetically speaking, would you be able to press charges? Or would you recording the tech driving your G fall under invasion or privacy? How does the law work in such a scenario?
No expectation of privacy, as this was his car, not the mechanic's car.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
soundmike

It's kind of a gray line. The law states you can't record audio of anyone without their consent. But it's illegal to record a video of someone where there's expected privacy, such as bathrooms and such.

Which in theory, this means the video can be used against them if you brought suite (unlikely), but will have to go by the gps/data-logging capabilities to prove anything wrong was done. You can't use the audio of the high-revving and tires screeching against them. (Though that there is also iffy, since you're recording audio of your car, not the driver, but the driver is the initiator for the audio.)

That's just a general concept anyway. Contact a lawyer if you really want to get into the nitty gritty.

As far as principles go, yes, it's wrong. But things like this happen all the time on all aspects of life. "What you don't know won't hurt you" comes to mind. It's no different from some horror stories you read or hear about, about restaurants, for example. My point is, it happens, whether they're caught red-handed or not. This is one reason i DIY nearly every aspect of what happens to my car and got a dashcam for other instances, just like you did.

Last edited by soundmike; 12-05-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Sython

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subbed for the results. Anyone have an idea on dashcam prices?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sython
Subbed for the results. Anyone have an idea on dashcam prices?
$150-$300 depending upon which one, most have gps tracking built in, others have front and rear facing cameras. Add another $75-$100 for installation costs to hide the power wire.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
KennyG37S

UPDATE:

The service manager called me, first he claimed this was a regular test drive, and he doesn't see much of an issue. I brought up the excessive speed of 100km/hr on the side street, hard revving and clutch riding. Then he doubted me on the speed and defending his tech, he even tried to claim the gps speed is not accurate. After couple of back and forth, he tones down when I told him I will even bring the footage on my laptop to the dealership and show him the speed.

Eventually he becomes more apologetic (I think after I told them I posted it on forums) and admits they were wrong for not respecting customer's property and wants to keep my business by offering me a synthetic oil change, show me the "proper way" on how its done and won't have the same tech to work on my car again. Then he asked me if I want a full detailing instead of the oil change.

Well, because they are apologetic (after some arguments), he said the same tech will no longer work on my car, will not bring my car for a spin, and I believe everyone deserves a 2nd chance to make things right, I decided to accept their offer.

So this is the update and thank you guys for your valuable opinions.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you for posting KennyG37s, it provides feedback to dealerships and the public that they may not get otherwise and therefore improves the service experiance for us all.
That said, I'd put a cam under the hood before I went back to this dealer for an oil change.

In my opinion, this act was more a violation of trust than act of recklessness.

I had a similar experiance some years ago. Not worth mentioning as the dealer is out of business now. Social networking can be a blessing or a curse. ;-)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
soundmike

Glad you got that sorted out.

There have also been cases where tech's don't actually perform the services you paid for.

Or in my case, a few years back, the tech kept telling me one problem after another. I had already authorized a few after each visit in the waiting room. After a while he came back saying i had another unfix-able puncture on the tires i asked to see it in person (I mean, what are the chances, right?)

... it wasn't even my car.

I wonder if they ended up shouldering all the repairs for the guy who actually owned that car.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I would not have the dealer detail the car.. I'd take the synthetic oil change.

Quick Reply: This is what a service tech does after an oil change