Canada Serving Canada.

Winter tire & wheel set-up for G37S coupe owners in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
NightHawk2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Everyone.. It my First Post.. I bought a 2009 G37s in Sept 09.. I have been runing Blizzaks LM-60 on 18's.

I think they are 245/50/18.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
civeng

Have you had an opportunity to test the blizzaks through deeper snow since you have probably had more snow in the Milton area in comparison to just north of Toronto. Would appreciate any feedback on how the LM-60's perform on dry pavement, hard pack snow, deeper snow, etc.,
Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
NightHawk2009

Hey Civeng,....

Blizzak LM-60's are great winter tires, On dry pavement the grip really really well, even if it raining like hell, not problems , you just grip grip grip, i know this because i tried to do power slides on a rainy day and well lets just say its hard to make them loose traction.

Hard packed snow: The tire perform great, but when moving from a full stop, you have to be gentle on the throttle , there were times i had wheel spin and the back has slid on me and the VDC kicked inquite a few times! :P. Lets just say i wasn't gentle with the throttle, but I learned :P.

Deeper, soft snow, i have had no issues, yet again be gentle on the throttle.

Icy Roads: You have to be extra careful, like always! Its a rear wheel drive car with a good amount of torque. Slow acceleration is the way to go! Tire grip well , I had no fish tailing, or sliding.

Handling of the car: The steering wheel will seem somewhat of a pudding, its because the winter tires are softer and the walls of the tires are more flexible, this is normal for winter tires. I am comparing this to the way the car feels on the OEM 19's Potenza's!

Overall , these tires are one of the best out there, i will recommend these to anyone , in a heart beat!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Originally Posted by civeng
Have you had an opportunity to test the blizzaks through deeper snow since you have probably had more snow in the Milton area in comparison to just north of Toronto. Would appreciate any feedback on how the LM-60's perform on dry pavement, hard pack snow, deeper snow, etc.,

Last edited by NightHawk2009; 02-15-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
civeng

NightHawk2009 thank you for the feedback on the performance of the LM-60's in varying winter conditions. I will take your comments in to consideration when purchasing winter tires. I have driven rear wheel drive cars for most of my driving life and you have to be somewhat sensible when driving in adverse weather.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Bigbodyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello all - i am looking for Winter rubber for my stock 19's in the toronto area - any suggestions? I live in Mississauga/Brampton area..but anywhere in the GTA where they have good prices...reccomendations????
Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
NightHawk2009

Originally Posted by Bigbodyg
Hello all - i am looking for Winter rubber for my stock 19's in the toronto area - any suggestions? I live in Mississauga/Brampton area..but anywhere in the GTA where they have good prices...reccomendations????
They man Congrats again !

The place to go for great service and good prices is Tire World in Brampton.

Here is their link: New Tires | Tire World

I got my winter setup from them, they provide excellent service!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 PM
seadoopunk

What offset wheels is anyone using the g37s? and any suggestions where to grab some 18" for winter. Just got the car and need snows bad

thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
bachelor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Winters...

Originally Posted by Bigbodyg

I have a brand new set that I'm not using, mounted on stock 19's with TPS. My car is stored so these are just sitting around. PM if interested.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bachelor
I have a brand new set that I'm not using, mounted on stock 19's with TPS. My car is stored so these are just sitting around. PM if interested.
What tires are they, and how much you selling for?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seadoopunk
What offset wheels is anyone using the g37s? and any suggestions where to grab some 18" for winter. Just got the car and need snows bad

thanks
Welcome seadoopunk! I got my winter set from SimplyTire for around $1800. You can checkout some of the sets they carry this year for the G over here:
http://www.simplytire.com/winter/nissanpdf.pdf

I suggest you call Allen (the owner) and ask him about the availability of the tires + rims!.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
bachelor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
What tires are they, and how much you selling for?

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60

I PM'd you.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Gee37S

Name:  IMG_0813.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  74.0 KB

X-ice Xi2
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Razorshock

225/50R18 Michelin Xice XI2. More than just good, it rivals my old A4 with Blizzak WS70s. Highly recommended!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Duster

Question: Are H-rated tires more aggressive in tread or better in the snow than V-rated tires? Does improving the speed rating mean a compromise in snow performance?

If so, what compromise are you making by going down to an H-rated tire, or a T-rated tire?

--- D
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duster
Question: Are H-rated tires more aggressive in tread or better in the snow than V-rated tires? Does improving the speed rating mean a compromise in snow performance?

If so, what compromise are you making by going down to an H-rated tire, or a T-rated tire?
--- D
That is the speed rating you are referring to. H-rated is a lower speed rated tire than V-rated. So technically, it's probably 'not as aggressive'. Also, the H-rated tire probably will have a longer warranty since it will not be as 'soft' as the V-rated tire.

Does higher speed rating compromise snow performance? Depends ... most V-rated snow tires are aggressive tread so it will be performance oriented (so probably more fit for clear roads in the cold) than an H-rated snow tire (more geared toward snow-packed roads). At least, that is based upon my research on various tires for the G. Not sure how much you will lose in terms of performance going from V-rated -> H-rated -> T-rated. But you will probably be hard pressed to find a T-rated tire in 18" passenger tires that will fit the G. (I didn't look very hard, BTW ...)

Personally, I went with Nokian WR-G2 in 235/50/18 from tirefactory.net in Michigan on crappy Sport Edition rims from Tire Rack. They lasted me 3 winter seasons and they're more or less through for winter use. I'm a little disappointed at the wear -- I spent close to $1k on the tires alone. Then again ... the G is a high torque RWD car so it won't last as long as the Nokians I had on my TL Type-S.

I'll probably go with Michelin X-Ice2 in 225/50/18 this upcoming fall. That's what the factory recommends and it does make sense to go with a thinner tire in the winter.

Good luck with what you decide.

Quick Reply: Winter tire & wheel set-up for G37S coupe owners in GTA