Canada Serving Canada.

Brake-Dust Rust Spots

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
JRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake-Dust Rust Spots

Has anyone noticed spots of rust from the brakes all over the paint? I noticed after a carwash last weekend my car was full of tiny rust spots all over the paint, mainly on the lower panels and lower rear, so dense that it was clearly visible from a distance. It's clearly rust from the brakes for me and on the white car it shows very clear. I had to use Meguiars Paint Cleaner compound to buff it off, it was pretty hard still have some spots that I couldn't remove. The spots weren't there the previous week after I carwashed so it happened over the course of a week.

I find strange that there's no complains about this on IP cars at least here in Canada where the salt they put on our roads just increases the possibilities. It happened the same to a friend of mine with his car, different brand though and I've found some comments on the net about this.

I supposed that they wouldn't damage the paint, there's no way you can just leave it like that until the summer since the accumulation was so visible in a week time that in a few weeks it's going to be hell.

Any comments?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
gthal

Happens to all white cars (at least it's more noticeable)... I could clay bar the car to remove rather than the paint cleaner. I would be concerned that the paint cleaner would grind the debris into the paint causing swirls. I have been told by professional detailers that the car should be clayed first to remove all surface debris BEFORE using a paint cleaner or polishing (maybe overkill but this is what I was told). I would clay bar first, THEN use the paint cleaner or polish, then apply a good sealant. The sealant, in my experience, helps prevent these spots (at least for a few months) and makes them easier to remove the next time.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM
vINCe_Inc

i have it all over mine too, nothing i can do about it. and those rust particles appears to get bigger because it oxidizes like nuts.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 AM
JRP

I couldn't do all that procedure bc is winter cold even inside the garage, I was thinking on claybar but I thought it would be better to just use the paint cleaner. So I carwash it, then use Quick Detailer with a microfibre cloth to clean it more and applied the paint cleaner, still have some spots here and there. Let's see when the winter ends.
I'm just worried that this will happen again and again and I have to do all that procedure every a couple of weeks, not funny. Does this happen all the time or just when the brakes are settling? My brakes are already settled since the car has 5500Km.
I've read that this happens to all cars and is more noticeable on white but the amount I had on my car would be noticeable on any car paint if you just hand wash it.
Anyways, it's a pain to remove and probably worst than the swirls on the black car.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Techuinang

This is indeed a problem with all white cars. I had that on my old beemer and my older brother has that problem with his Lexus. That's why I say it's as hard to keep a white car clean as a black one. The only solution is clay bar the car in the summer and reapply a sealant. I know it sucks but white is such a beautiful colour, nothing is perfect.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

JRP - haven't seen it on my Plat. Graphite and I share the Ottawa salt with you - you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the rust spots would you? Is it that noticeable? Or just up really close? Are you talking sides/doors and rear bumper?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Oggie

I know the feeling. I have it too. Waiting for winter to be over to properly cleanup the paint.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
JRP

Hey Loki123...
I don't have a pic, I should have taken one before I cleaned it, I still have some left minor spots around the rocker panels, but they are not that many now only a few that I couln't remove or didn't see. If I get more I'll take a pic.
Yes it was very noticeable, like a rate of 5~7 per square inch at least, mainly on the rear bumber and rear part of the trunk lid below the spoiler, the sides of the car had too but not that many, mainly on the fenders right after the wheel well and lower parts of the doors and rocker panels, the paint looked yellowish in those areas. You have to be close enough to see it, like when opening the door, I noticed afer a carwash when I went to open the trunk, if the car is dirty you won't notice. I would say that anyone would have noticed no matter the paint color unless orange or a color similar to rust.
Wash your car and take a close look at those areas and let me know, rear bumper and trunk lid below spoiler mainly and around the INF logo, those were the worst.
Strange thing is I haven't noticed before, like it happened over the course of last week. I carwash the car every weekend and I open the trunk several times a week, the spots were so noticeable that's strange I didn't notice.
I guess I have to live with that and claybar once the summer is here and apply the sealant.
JR
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

I inspected my G in the areas forementioned but didn't see any of the rust mini spotting...and my car is v. clean. Since this is first time you saw it - I would be tempted to say that perhaps you drove over a rusty substance - got on the wheels then faned on the back bumper by misting - I don't know... my brake dust seems to be blacker - not really orange - but again, without seeing these particles it's tough to say why this would happen in the first place and why in such a big volume.

Your car has less kms than mine - I have 14k - maybe it is due to your fewer kms and breaking them in during the salty season - I dunno. All I do know is - I hate winter and what it does to my car... If the weather would warm up a bit more I could use my brand new Rigid power washer (powered by Subaru - haha) I got last weekend at HD.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
JRP

The spots aren't like brake dust exactly, they are more like tiny brownish-orangeish drops, I do have very little brake dust on the wheels and the calipers are clean, so are the brake discs no sign of rust yet so I have no idea from where it came. It may be like you said I drove over some substance or something, but I know it happens to white cars. I cannot see any spot on the wheels or calipers though, maybe the paint color?
I have a friend who has a white Acura and the same happened last winter, I'll keep watching and report back if I see more development.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

It would be interesting to find out what chemical substance that is. I googled your issue and found a few people experiencing a similar issue on white cars and trucks called “industrial fallout” (acid rain) that are contaminants in the air getting into the paint in new vehicles along with rust falling off the transport trucks.

This article below covers it pretty good with suggestions and even a picture of what you were describing (scroll down for the pic).

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...rome-help.html
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
JRP

I don't think is acid rain or something simliar since we don't have that in Ottawa I believe and it was clear it was splash from the tires or the brakes because of the distribution of the spots. I had none on the hood or roof of the car and the upper parts of the doors had only a few spots.
Those spots on the pic you reference are exactly what I'm having with the difference that mine didn't get into the paint, yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
JRP

Got more spots

I got more rust spots, it's been only two weeks since I removed the previous ones, it's not that bad as it was before but it's getting there. I took some pics, had to resize them to upload. Check my gallery you'll see what I mean, I think they would be very noticeable on any paint color not just wite, Loki check the pics so you can compare to your car.
I'll claybar and wax the car once the weather is good, might be over a month from now, and see how the wax handles the spots.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...ite-paint.html
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM
vINCe_Inc

yeep. thats exactly what i have.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Comatose

Same here.. one of pains of owning IP.

But its worth it

Quick Reply: Brake-Dust Rust Spots