Canada Serving Canada.

Importing G37

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*bump*

Anything on the DRL situation, rrrevin? Who did you go to for mod/inspection?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:40 AM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary and Eriksson Nissan in Edmonton will not touch the DRLs. Actually neither will touch it for any US product. They'll look at them after they are working.. but not before.. Hmmm..

Anyway, EN in Edmonton is sending me contact information for a place that they use all the time. The head guy there used to work for EN.. so they know and trust his work completely.

I took the car to Stampede Lexus Toyota in Calgary for the RIV inspection; was not going to take it to Canadian Tire! The RIV form comes with alot of places that will do the inspection other then CanTire. The guy at Stampede had thought that I had everything already done; DRLs included. But when I told him that I hadn't he said that I should have been told to get those done before bringing the car to him. That's the only change needed to pass inspection. Once you have that, you are good to go and the whole inspection takes about 5 minutes, if that.

I'll probably be in Edmonton between the 26th and the 30th for a day to get the DRLs installed and a block heater as well.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
let me know when your in edmonton i'd like to see your ride.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
vINCe_Inc

im a little confused so i hope someone can enlighten me.
1. The letters / documents that need to be forwarded to the US customs 72 hours prior to cossing the border, who forwards those documents ? Have any of you been able to get the dealer to do this for you ?

2. Shipping the car back through a third party trucking service - Do you need to provide any documents to the shipping company so they can give it to their driver when they cross ?

3. GST / PST - This is paid at the canadian customs right ? Do the shippign company inccur this charge for you when they cross the border, and then you reimburse them back ? How does this work ?

PLEASE HELP A FELLOW CANADIAN OUT ! haha.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc
im a little confused so i hope someone can enlighten me.
1. The letters / documents that need to be forwarded to the US customs 72 hours prior to cossing the border, who forwards those documents ? Have any of you been able to get the dealer to do this for you ?

2. Shipping the car back through a third party trucking service - Do you need to provide any documents to the shipping company so they can give it to their driver when they cross ?

3. GST / PST - This is paid at the canadian customs right ? Do the shippign company inccur this charge for you when they cross the border, and then you reimburse them back ? How does this work ?

PLEASE HELP A FELLOW CANADIAN OUT ! haha.
1) You have to, or your customs broker does. The dealer does not do this.

2) Originals of all the forms faxed to the border crossing from (1) AND the ORIGINAL Manufacturer Certificate of Origin; a copy will NOT suffice.

3) Depends on the shipping company. Either way you must sign a docuement that gives them temporary representation rights for you at the border if they do it. They will either pay the GST/Duty/RIV Fee/Air Cond Tax and then bill you, or you give them your CC and customs will charge that card.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:06 PM
kmare

vINCe

#1 depends on the crossing; some accept fax others require original copy . see the following site for border info

http://www.carburner.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

1) Depending on how you plan to "move" the car across the border, you can either request the dealer to send the documents for you or get a broker to handle it.

2) Yes, the shipping company will need all of the original documents with the vehicle. They may request certain documents to be faxed to them for processing, they should let you know what they need to get it across the border.

3) The GST and PST will be charged on the purchase price of the car plus the 6.1% duty. The shipping company will not get charged; they will send it to a Canada Customs Bonded Warehouse where you will pay the duty and GST before they will release the vehicle to you. There is also a small fee (I think about $30) that they charge for processing at the warehouse. However, if you get a broker then the broker will be charged and you pay the broker (this I'm not sure of; can anybody else confirm this?).

Hope that helps!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 AM
sdjet

Originally Posted by rrrevin
1) You have to, or your customs broker does. The dealer does not do this.

2) Originals of all the forms faxed to the border crossing from (1) AND the ORIGINAL Manufacturer Certificate of Origin; a copy will NOT suffice.

3) Depends on the shipping company. Either way you must sign a docuement that gives them temporary representation rights for you at the border if they do it. They will either pay the GST/Duty/RIV Fee/Air Cond Tax and then bill you, or you give them your CC and customs will charge that card.
1) Actually, my dealer did everything for me. The only thing I did was to prepare the documents. The dealer and I filled out the forms together then faxed to the border I would be crossing. For the documents required (for the us custom), contact nearest us border services; they will provide. Do not go through brokers. Broker charges $250 for nothing. All they do is send the documents over to the border. Normally you can fax the document then after 1 day, send status request via email to the border you are crossing. Border services will reply you after 3 days, and you can cross the border anytime after then.

2) The dealer shipped my car (on a truck) right upto the border. I just needed to go pick it up. When you make a deal with your dealer, ask it as a favor.

3) You pay GST (5% now) + Duty tax (6.1%) + RIV fee (about $200) + Air cond tax ($100) at the border. You will pay the PST when your car is registered to your province. For the shipping, the company who deals this will probably require you couple of things like the signed forms/documents, and the bill of sale (for the tax) etc.

Last edited by sdjet; 01-01-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

1) Yeah, I agree. Broker is not necessary. Just do your research and you'll be able to do all of it yourself with the help of your dealer. It's really not that hard at all.

2) I had mine ship across the border; you could save quite a bit if you ship it to the border and then you drive it across yourself, but I couldn't get any days off work to do this myself so I had no choice.

3) I almost forgot about all those little extra fees. Haha! That looks pretty complete now.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Skankarella

I had the same experience - the dealer sent all the forms for me, as US customs will only allow you to send one package, i.e. you can't send your info, and have the dealer send the rest of the info separately, as they won't accept it unless it's all in one fax.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
vINCe_Inc

hey guys, so as it stands... what is the warranty coveraeg for your imported G ?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
sdjet

hey guys, so as it stands... what is the warranty coveraeg for your imported G ?
It's 4 yrs / 60,000 miles. Close to 100,000 km.
Fully covered in Canada. There is no charge for this and the instruction manual specifically says warranty is covered in both USA and Canada.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 PM
sdjet

Check this site:
http://autos.yahoo.com/infiniti_g37_...base-warranty/
Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
vINCe_Inc

oh btw. did you guys ship with flat bed, enclosed ??
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
rrrevin

Flat bed for mine, then train, then flat bed again.
Enclosed was an extra $600.00 from the folks whom I used.

Quick Reply: Importing G37