Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Should I trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Gallery gasket is peace of mind IMO. If it doesn't have the updated part there's a minuscule chance it will go out on you. Just know that it's a possibility. I'd be more concerned with maintenance intervals on the drivetrain. Differential flushes, transfer case serviced, AT drain and fill, etc..

Edit: I looked at the Carfax and If you're 100% committed...Waterpump and transmission serviced between 50-70k miles so you should be good on that front. I'd see if they had any records for the coolant flush, (10yrs/70k miles recommended service) differential & transfer case and if not, I'd ask they perform that service and then I'd take a look at rotors and brake pads. Looks like tires were changed recently but all that has been done for brake service has been flushes. Good to know but I'd like to know a brake and rotor service isn't right around the corner if I was you.

Last edited by RMB5190; 10-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
astic (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 PM
astic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edit: I looked at the Carfax and If you're 100% committed...Waterpump and transmission serviced between 50-70k miles so you should be good on that front. I'd see if they had any records for the coolant flush, (10yrs/70k miles recommended service) differential & transfer case and if not, I'd ask they perform that service and then I'd take a look at rotors and brake pads. Looks like tires were changed recently but all that has been done for brake service has been flushes. Good to know but I'd like to know a brake and rotor service isn't right around the corner if I was you.
So,
  • Coolant flush
  • Differential (Isnt transfer box only for AWD and 4WD?)
  • Rotors and Brake pads
Dealer is looking into the Oil Gasket.

Also looking into other options. Saw a black on black g37 anniversary 2010 Sport Premium hardtop convertible @ 92k from a private seller. Heard they're really heavy and **** stuff up but it seems like a cool car to have owned at one time or another. This private owner has expressed some interest in a trade as well.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-11-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Moved thread to Buying & Leasing Forum
Old 10-11-2018, 01:44 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Yes, If it's RWD then just the rear differential needs to be changed. I saw Rochester mention something about it being a Open diff (non-LSD) but that's something you can change out and really have some fun with after. Coolant is a must if it hasn't been done at this point. Definitely check the pads and rotors. If they're the same set, they've been getting beat on for 100k miles and are probably near the end of their life.

I wouldn't let the gallery gasket be a deal killer. While it's possible it will fail, the chance of it doing so is probably <10%.

Sport coupe is nice but I wouldn't want to deal with the issues that come along with a convertible....
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I saw Rochester mention something about it being a Open diff (non-LSD)
G37 Journey. RWD, but no limited slip.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:06 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Unfortunate but he can swap in a LSD and even do a gear swap if he wants. Wish I would've done a bit more research before grabbing my G. That's the route I would've went and use a beater with AWD for the winter months or something. Not even sure how you'd go about swapping the gears for the AWD (front diff). The black pearl owner (L8tch? might've butchered his online handle) might be the only one I've seen do it.

Anyway, he could be patient and sit until a sport model becomes available (as you and Kaboom mentioned); especially if he lives where it doesn't snow. 6MT is also highly recommended. Even if you can't drive stick, it's worth learning now to enjoy it later. Really wish I would've learned sooner as someone who considers themselves an enthusiast. Literally takes a week or two to learn. First few days makes you question whether you should have a license but it passes. I feel like half the time the mod bug hits me with the G it's because I'm bored driving an auto.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:42 PM
astic

Unfortunate but he can swap in a LSD and even do a gear swap if he wants. Wish I would've done a bit more research before grabbing my G. That's the route I would've went and use a beater with AWD for the winter months or something. Not even sure how you'd go about swapping the gears for the AWD (front diff). The black pearl owner (L8tch? might've butchered his online handle) might be the only one I've seen do it.

Anyway, he could be patient and sit until a sport model becomes available (as you and Kaboom mentioned); especially if he lives where it doesn't snow. 6MT is also highly recommended. Even if you can't drive stick, it's worth learning now to enjoy it later. Really wish I would've learned sooner as someone who considers themselves an enthusiast. Literally takes a week or two to learn. First few days makes you question whether you should have a license but it passes. I feel like half the time the mod bug hits me with the G it's because I'm bored driving an auto.
Thanks for your input. I too would prefer a manual but I’m in an interesting situation that would be in my best interest to get an auto. I’m only 17. The VW is my first car, that I really only got to appease my mom, I wanted a 37 from the get-go and this is an opportunity for me to get one. That being said, my mom still has to sign off on the deal and she can only drive auto and would prefer to be able to drive my car if she needs to.

So manual would just be another reason she could say no. I’m doing a lot of research so I can lay everything out for her and let her make the decision. I bought my car in cash outright so it’s really my right to do with it as I please once I’m 18, but until then it’s under her name.

The only way I think I could convince her is if they’re willing to give me a solid warranty and maybe even some cash that I could set aside for anything the warranty doesn’t cover.

I do think I have quite a bit of leverage as there are plenty of g’s offered for well under their ask, but I like getting it from a dealer because she will trust the deal more and then they can warranty it.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Your situation is eerily similar to mine when I wanted to trade in my Mazda 3 for a Civic SI...

Makes sense given your situation. That said, see my post above regarding the differential swap. The user zero99 has a build you can check out to get an idea of what that can do for you're auto G37; if you want to that is.

If you pull the trigger, the G is going to be a much different animal compared to the Passat. A lot more power and RWD...You can get into trouble quick. Took me a minute to get the 'pedal to the metal' out of my system...Think I averaged 17 MPG during the first month of ownership.

You'll want to get an insurance quote to get an idea of how that expense is going to change. You're under 25, buying a 300 hp rwd luxury sport coupe that's 4 years older than your current car...Expect it to jump. A sedan might be a better option for you in regards to that. I'd recommend buying yourself a cheap dash cam.

As for the warranty, used car dealerships, that aren't associate with a brand, can sell 3rd party warranties. My wife's MB came with one when we bought it. Something else to consider when shopping so you don't limit yourself. Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Your situation is eerily similar to mine when I wanted to trade in my Mazda 3 for a Civic SI...
Or in my case when I was 19, trading in a perfect good, brand new 1983 Firebird for a used 1982 Trans Am, because I was jonesing for a MT and a V8.

Do I regret it? Oh yeah, absolutely it was a stupid move. But I enjoyed the heck out of owning & modding that car. The only big difference between that move and the OP... I transitioned to a car only one model year older, with half the miles. The OP is skipping 4 years, and doubling the miles. Yikes!

Oh, and I moved the thread here. Seems more appropriate in this forum.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Seems like a vertical move, but in the wrong direction.
If there's no issues with the vw and it's paid for, I'd just keep it. Even though it's older, insurance will likely be more than your current vehicle (liability portion). Also, the G isn't the most fuel efficient, so expect to pay more for fuel. Wait til you're done will college then get something nicer.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
astic

Makes sense given your situation. That said, see my post above regarding the differential swap. The user zero99 has a build you can check out to get an idea of what that can do for you're auto G37; if you want to that is.

If you pull the trigger, the G is going to be a much different animal compared to the Passat. A lot more power and RWD...You can get into trouble quick. Took me a minute to get the 'pedal to the metal' out of my system...Think I averaged 17 MPG during the first month of ownership.

You'll want to get an insurance quote to get an idea of how that expense is going to change. You're under 25, buying a 300 hp rwd luxury sport coupe that's 4 years older than your current car...Expect it to jump. A sedan might be a better option for you in regards to that. I'd recommend buying yourself a cheap dash cam.

As for the warranty, used car dealerships, that aren't associate with a brand, can sell 3rd party warranties. My wife's MB came with one when we bought it. Something else to consider when shopping so you don't limit yourself. Good Luck.
Thanks for your response. This is the kind of advice I wanted to see as well, but feared mentioning my age originally would limit the amount of technical advice I received and more people would tell me it’s too much car.

Im kinda nervous for the test drive as I want to experience what the car has to offer but I haven’t driven a RWD “sports car” before. Have driven a P100D but those are AWD of course.

Really not too worried about the insurance because that’s one expense that my mom does split with me so I’ll only have to pay 50% of the difference.

I wasnt planning on doing anything too nuts but ill look into changing out the dif to something a little more sporty.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 PM
astic

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Seems like a vertical move, but in the wrong direction.
If there's no issues with the vw and it's paid for, I'd just keep it. Even though it's older, insurance will likely be more than your current vehicle (liability portion). Also, the G isn't the most fuel efficient, so expect to pay more for fuel. Wait til you're done will college then get something nicer.
Where I live SoCal, car meets are where everyone gets together to hangout. All the money in the VW is money I earned. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not the smartest idea but I think I’m going to have so much fun in the car that it’ll be worth it.

Now my goal is to just put myself in the most safe spot possible with the car that is double the age, double the miles, and double the horsepower. Going to aim for a 2 year warranty plus cash which may be aggressive but I guess I can look for a lower mile example if he’s not down.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM
youdunseeme
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe you can find a better deal based on your budget. Also, definitely get a S model!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM
astic

Originally Posted by youdunseeme
I believe you can find a better deal based on your budget. Also, definitely get a S model!!!
Test drove it and the transmission seemed a little choppy so I think I will look into a lower mile s model.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 PM
youdunseeme
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by astic

Test drove it and the transmission seemed a little choppy so I think I will look into a lower mile s model.
Hey OP, I did a little bit digging and I know you probably live in Socal since I found the car you talked about in Perry infiniti
Also, I' ve PMed you a link which you might be interested.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

That choppy AT isn't going to change. Just the nature of the beast with the auto in these cars.

Quick Reply: Should I trade?