Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

'13 G37 Sedan - Black Obsidian VS. Liquid Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 PM
Miskonduct

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 G37 Sedan - Black Obsidian VS. Liquid Platinum

I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 G37 sport package sedan in either Black Obsidian or Liquid Platinum.

Both cars are priced the exact same, but mileage is slightly different. The Liquid Platinum has 37K miles and the Black Obsidian has 44K miles. Other than that the condition is relatively the same as well. Yet, I'm extremely torn on which one to go with.

I previously had a 2007 G35 sedan in Liquid Platinum, so a part of me is looking for something else (i.e. Black). But I know how much a pain black can be to clean.

Based on the above, which would you go with and why?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:31 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I would go for the silver one! Lower miles and doesn't get dirty as quick.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
I keep telling myself I'll never buy another black car, and yet I buy another black car. Then I spend the time owning it wishing I hadn't bought a black car cause it's always dirty and every imperfection shows up. I wish my G was silver currently. Plus it has lower miles, so I'd say the silver one.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM
miaku1840ss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always good experience with silver - looks sharp after a wash too
Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Do you keep your car in a garage? If no, silver.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Hola - New to this forum because I cant afford a GTR, smart enough not to buy a 392 Charger, and my FX was too heavy/small and tires are crazy $.

Black is the best...if you detail it right. I have learned over many years the following routine for my black cars:

1. Perform seasonal details or even less often.

2. Get an electric pressure washer with soap containers or a foam gun. Electric is superior to gas, since we dont want to strip the paint of course

3. Start off with a heavily diluted simple green spray on and then power wash off. Feel free to do the entire car, under hood, under it etc etc

4. Using a QUALITY car wash (Chemical Bro's etc) wash the car normally.

5. I like then to use an IronX & TarX spray on over the exterior. Work in some areas etc, then rinse heavily.

6. Wash again

7. Here is where the magic happens - Use a spray sealant (Reload Spray) over the whole exterior (USE VERY LITTLE!!! IT SPREADS!!!) - I like to do this while the car is wet, almost like a wax as you dry spray. Wheels, glass, trim, windows, everything - NOT IN DIRECT SUN, I like doing this stuff at dusk about an hour before dark.

You will be rewarded with a black car that is like a mirror, and stays that way for weeks/months. Yes, the stuff mentioned above is expensive, but you only have to use a little so it lasts for a while.

Avoid automatic car washes at all costs. Funny story, my first new car was a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch in black - I treated that thing to the auto car wash like 3 times a week...needless to say the finish was destroyed in two years.

This process works great for white cars as well that have little orange spots (rail dust).

I will admit...I always wanted a car other than black...but I always buy black.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM
funeee

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I keep telling myself I'll never buy another black car, and yet I buy another black car. Then I spend the time owning it wishing I hadn't bought a black car cause it's always dirty and every imperfection shows up. I wish my G was silver currently. Plus it has lower miles, so I'd say the silver one.
It also depends on where you leave, I am in socal, where it's sunny 90% of the time, not snow, no crazy storm, no dust storm, plus I keep it in garage at home and underground garage at work. My black G stays clear clean for 1 week and acceptable for 2-3 weeks, sometimes 1 month is not that bad.