Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 PM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
When I first started looking,, I was looking for a higher mileage BMW 335i, but when I read the laundry list of expensive issues those cars were known for, I decided to look Japanese again. In comparison, these cars are rock solid reliable, and price-wise are a real deal.
Plus it has an impressive list of standard options, especially cars with the Sport package (which required the Navigation and Premium packages). If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.

Make sure you look at several and find one that has been well-cared for since there are some rougher cars out there. And if you don't want to take the time yourself, a Pre-Purchase Inspection is worth the money to weed out the bad cars. Like any used car, how well they were treated by their former owners will have a direct effect on your long term satisfaction.

Sure, the Bimmer might have been slightly faster, and the automatic might have shifted smoother, but the parts and repairs are about 3 times what they are with the G. And for what the G delivers at the price, they are a massive bargain.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by m1cha3l
Is there anything else I should be aware of besides transmission issues for pre 2012 models?
Yea, the rear timing cover gasket

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

Originally Posted by WolfSongX
If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.
The Sport package on the X is just an appearance package, it doesn't get any of the RWD Sport hardware--no stiffened suspension, no faster ratio steering, no big brake kit, and no staggered size wheels/tires.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

The Sport package on the X is just an appearance package, it doesn't get any of the RWD Sport hardware--no stiffened suspension, no faster ratio steering, no big brake kit, and no staggered size wheels/tires.
My mistake, I thought the later versions actually had a full Sports package, the cars I saw on Autotrader must've had a Sport Brake upgrade.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I kind of need awd for Chicago winters and I wont mod the car so I dont have to worry about awd blowing up on me. Probably .... lol ;P .
BS. We get twice the annual snowfall as Chicago, and all thats needed around here is a good set of snow tires. Find yourself a RWD S Sedan... The VLSD, ABS and TC are more than enough nannies to get you through Chicago winters, specially if you get some good snow tires ana a pair of big boy pants.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-12-2015 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Nurner (08-13-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM
m1cha3l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first started looking,, I was looking for a higher mileage BMW 335i, but when I read the laundry list of expensive issues those cars were known for, I decided to look Japanese again. In comparison, these cars are rock solid reliable, and price-wise are a real deal.
Plus it has an impressive list of standard options, especially cars with the Sport package (which required the Navigation and Premium packages). If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.

Make sure you look at several and find one that has been well-cared for since there are some rougher cars out there. And if you don't want to take the time yourself, a Pre-Purchase Inspection is worth the money to weed out the bad cars. Like any used car, how well they were treated by their former owners will have a direct effect on your long term satisfaction.

Sure, the Bimmer might have been slightly faster, and the automatic might have shifted smoother, but the parts and repairs are about 3 times what they are with the G. And for what the G delivers at the price, they are a massive bargain.
335i or 335ix are very responsive to mods but I'm kind of done modding for now. I went from making tons of $ to meh just ok so I cant really afford mods. Either way 335 is a nice ride. Then again they are quite expensive to fix and the laundry list of repairs is rather long.

Ill have to test drive a few and see how it feels.

Thx!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM
m1cha3l

This is in regards to 09 what about 12+ models?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM
m1cha3l

Originally Posted by Rochester
BS. We get twice the annual snowfall as Chicago, and all thats needed around here is a good set of snow tires. Find yourself a RWD S Sedan... The VLSD, ABS and TC are more than enough nannies to get you through Chicago winters, specially if you get some good snow tires ana a pair of big boy pants.
While you might get more snow I have a modded legacy now that runs high 12's and had 2 trans and that ran mid to low 13's and I'm done with rwd or mods for now .

Getting awfully close to my late 30's and I'm just too lazy to shift my own gears. 2 manual cars were enough lol ;P .

I appreciate your input though!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
0 issues with my 2011 G37
0 issues with my 2004 G35
Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
This is in regards to 09 what about 12+ models?
Yes, because your post referenced pre 12, 2012 was the year cars received a revised gasket.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Oh and why are g37x so cheap? I mean you can pretty much get a low mile gx37x for 20k ... Lots of them on cars.com . Legacy is rare but most of the ones in good condition with low miles go for close to 20k.
I snagged my '10 x for 15,5 with 89k mi. nearly mint. STEAL!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

I just smoked my neighbors 335i, look up the hp/weight ratio. No chance they are faster, just more expensive. Notice my screen name. On the track, BMW any day, all day. On the street for daily all weather driving anywhere, no better bang for the buck stock than G37x.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Yes, because your post referenced pre 12, 2012 was the year cars received a revised gasket.
Can you point me to the location on the car (or post) of said gasket?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Can you point me to the location on the car (or post) of said gasket?

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
And a good DIY thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-pressure.html
The following users liked this post:
m3clubracer (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Black Betty wrote "I've been dealing with Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding an issue with my wife's 09 sedan that is now out of warranty. The issue is a leak in the rear timing cover gaskets that is causing a low oil pressure condition."

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
link says it is a front timing cover problem? I'm confused.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by m3clubracer
I just smoked my neighbors 335i, look up the hp/weight ratio. No chance they are faster, just more expensive. Notice my screen name. On the track, BMW any day, all day. On the street for daily all weather driving anywhere, no better bang for the buck stock than G37x.
Depending where you live altitude can play a huge part of it as well. I can't even keep up with a stock 335 where I live, and with any kind of mods one of them will just walk away like I'm barely moving.

Quick Reply: Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside)