MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Buying & Leasing (https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-and-leasing-147/)
-   -   Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside) (https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-and-leasing/269437-debating-on-g37x-purchase-but-random-questions-inside.html)

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:13 PM

Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside)

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing 2010+ G37x with AT but I wanted to get some input from the community first.

My biggest concern would be related to model / year specific issues that are very difficult to get rid of.

For example my 2010 Legacy GT had a very soft stock suspension that used to sway at higher speeds when on the highway. My 2001 Cadillac Seville STS had vibrations at 60+ as well. Trans ams had weak rear ends etc ...

My research so far as led me to believe that there might be transmission issues with G37.

Is this true for 2010+ models?

Are there are any other issues that might be expensive to fix or hard to get rid of?

Reliability?

Thank you for your time!

M

Kb Cool 08-10-2015 08:29 PM

Every part on these cars is expensive. But, if you do most of the work yourself it'll be a wash compared to a lower end car repair. As far as the 7AT having issues? I think it's more of it just being quirky than being unreliable as i have not heard of any complete failures.

Lego_Maniac 08-10-2015 08:43 PM

I came from a 2010 Legacy GT too :thewave:

I believe the 2012 have a redesigned gasket--rear timing cover maybe--that is prone to leakage and is an expensive repair.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kb Cool (Post 3938870)
Every part on these cars is expensive. But, if you do most of the work yourself it'll be a wash compared to a lower end car repair. As far as the 7AT having issues? I think it's more of it just being quirky than being unreliable as i have not heard of any complete failures.

Thx for your input.

I can understand expensive parts. G37 is entry level luxury.

I have read stories of 7AT having harsh or delayed shifts and some cars suffering from "limp" mode. It appears that some of these can be fixed by ECU tune though.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3938883)
I came from a 2010 Legacy GT too :thewave:

I believe the 2012 have a redesigned gasket--rear timing cover maybe--that is prone to leakage and is an expensive repair.

LOL nice ;P .

I just shredded my 2nd rear end differential ... 1st launch with a new broken in sprung 6 puck clutch. My set up runs high 12's but I think I'm slowly growing out of uncomfortable cars (coil-overs) with rough clutches.

Little bit of comfort and luxury might be due soon.

Lego_Maniac 08-10-2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938888)
LOL nice ;P .

I just shredded my 2nd rear end differential ... 1st launch with a new broken in sprung 6 puck clutch. My set up runs high 12's but I think I'm slowly growing out of uncomfortable cars (coil-overs) with rough clutches.

Little bit of comfort and luxury might be due soon.

I never missed the LGT. Suspension was garbage and I gave up on Myles ever delivering the Bilsteins.

IDK about the X but if you could live with snow tires the RWD S has some nice goodies--LSD, BBK, fast ratio steering etc.

Epiphany 08-10-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938885)
Thx for your input.

I can understand expensive parts. G37 is entry level luxury.

I have read stories of 7AT having harsh or delayed shifts and some cars suffering from "limp" mode. It appears that some of these can be fixed by ECU tune though.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

2012+ has the new transmission tune, with a revised engine gasket that could potentially save you a 3k+ repair. In general these cars are quite reliable as long as you take care of them.

blnewt 08-10-2015 09:06 PM

Yeah, if you don't absolutely need AWD you'll do well w/ a RWD, especially the S pkg. More suspension upgrades available and one less major piece of drivetrain to worry about.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3938894)
I never missed the LGT. Suspension was garbage and I gave up on Myles ever delivering the Bilsteins.

IDK about the X but if you could live with snow tires the RWD S has some nice goodies--LSD, BBK, fast ratio steering etc.

First time I took Legacy on a 150 mile drive on the hwy I thought it would rattle itself apart at 60+. Funny you mention bilsteins. I had them on my car before I went with coils. Utter garbage. I was one of the few members who disliked them. They felt like they were made for wrx / sti not Legacy.

I'm in Chicago. Winters here are brutal. Having had 2 trans ams in the past 1 AT the other MT I probably wont get another RWD car ;P . Traffic to work i doable with manual but on the way back Its really bad so I cant do another MT car.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Epiphany (Post 3938899)
2012+ has the new transmission tune, with a revised engine gasket that could potentially save you a 3k+ repair. In general these cars are quite reliable as long as you take care of them.

Good to know! Thank you.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3938900)
Yeah, if you don't absolutely need AWD you'll do well w/ a RWD, especially the S pkg. More suspension upgrades available and one less major piece of drivetrain to worry about.

I kind of need awd for Chicago winters and I wont mod the car so I dont have to worry about awd blowing up on me. Probably .... lol ;P .

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:18 PM

Oh and why are g37x so cheap? I mean you can pretty much get a low mile gx37x for 20k ... Lots of them on cars.com . Legacy is rare but most of the ones in good condition with low miles go for close to 20k.

RavensMinded00 08-10-2015 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938907)
Oh and why are g37x so cheap? I mean you can pretty much get a low mile gx37x for 20k ... Lots of them on cars.com . Legacy is rare but most of the ones in good condition with low miles go for close to 20k.

You answered your own question. There is a market flooded with G37x models. It's much harder and more expensive to find G37S models and even more so a G37 with a manual tranny.

Lego_Maniac 08-11-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938904)
First time I took Legacy on a 150 mile drive on the hwy I thought it would rattle itself apart at 60+. Funny you mention bilsteins. I had them on my car before I went with coils. Utter garbage. I was one of the few members who disliked them. They felt like they were made for wrx / sti not Legacy.

I gave up waiting on the Bilsteins after about two years. At that point, they would have never lived up to expectations.

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938904)
I'm in Chicago. Winters here are brutal. Having had 2 trans ams in the past 1 AT the other MT I probably wont get another RWD car ;P . Traffic to work i doable with manual but on the way back Its really bad so I cant do another MT car.

Even if you don't want a 6MT, I'd still consider the 7AT S + snow tires.

To your point on price, the market is flooded with G37s and G37xs, they've been around since '09. And with the introduction of the Q50 and the continuation of the G37 as the Q40, I think it's taken it's toll on prices.

m1cha3l 08-11-2015 08:10 PM

I have a set of winter tires for the legacy (ws70 blizzaks) I'll probably sell them because they are not that good anyway but yes good winter tires ftw.

Makes sense with the market conditions. I automatically thought this is too good to be true therefore something must be wrong. Apparently thats not the case.

Is there anything else I should be aware of besides transmission issues for pre 2012 models?