Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Is this a good deal? / my story

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Hvelez611
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal? / my story

I think this is the right place for me to post.. I created an account because I am in the market for a g37 coupe. I have been looking for well over a year now and just been waiting on my fiancé to give me the O.K. to purchase one. I started off with a base price of $17,000 and nothing more, planning to put down $10,000. I have been all over NY trying to find a good deal plus a reputable dealership, prices ranged from 15k to 24k for base models to sport models. So here goes my story.. All week I've been calling a dealership with a 2011 g37x with 41k miles advertised at $17,700 to confirm the car would be there when I went down to see it. The car was on the Internet for 54 days and has been at this dealership for 22 (dealer moved from one location to another), so I'm on my way to see this g37 that I was planning on purchasing when the sales man calls me to confirm the vehicle. This was 3 hours into my drive, I was running late and the dealership was closing before I even got there. Spoke to the sales Rep and he had told me the vehicle was sold last night.. -__-.. So I started going off on the guy saying this and that about him and the dealership, seemed like he was trying to bait and switch me because he offered other coups and verts. I ended up hanging up on him because I was furious that I had driven 3 hours to find out 30 minutes before I got there that the car was sold. And don't think I'm an idiot, I called every damn day to make sure this car was available and I callled that morning. So after 20 minutes the sales man calls me back and tells me to come down and just take a look at the other coupes, he said he'd try to work with me since I had driven for so long, at this point my finacée was more mad than I was and she was telling me "NOO" we are not going there. After a while of going back and forth we decided to give him a chance and show up at the dealership, an hour after they closed actually. I show up and the sales man greets me with a handshake and apologizes countless times for the mistake. My finacée stayed in the car at this point because she was still mad, but I was surprised at the way this dealership was, the salesman was very courteous and very very honest with me. He showed me two other vehicles, a 2012 g37x sport coupe with 51k miles and a 2011 vert with 61k miles. Both seemed over priced to me at $23,000 for the coupe and $24,000 for the vert. Looked at both and really was only interested in the coupe which was in amazing condition. It has the sport package of course, nav, wood grain, tech package, illuminated door sills, paddle shifters, etc.. So this leads me to ask all of the expirenced g37'ers out there, am I getting a good deal? I am putting $10,000 down and walking away with a $10,000 financing loan at 3.9% interest. So all together the sport coupe would cost me $20,000, no sales tax for New Hampshire where I will be registering it. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I read your entire post.

I'd get rid of the girl ASAP. I've been married 20+ years, never once needed "her" permission to buy a car or anything for that matter. She'd never embarrass me by sitting in the car pouting like a 2 year old while I'm buying something she'd certainly benefit from. My wife would have been glad to just spend a couple hours in the car with me even if the trip turned out to be a total bust. If its this bad now, it can only get worse is all I am saying. Just some friendly advice from a fella who has bought plenty of wedding gifts for people, most of whom are divorced, miserable and bankrupt a year later.

On a brighter note, a 2012 G37XS coupe, 51K, with nav & tech package for $20K is a good deal. As with any car purchase have an independent inspection. Financing all or part is completely up to you. Can your $10K cash earn you more than 4% ? It should be able to. 3.9% interest rate isn't bad, but a credit union should easily do 1% better. I looked on a few websites & there are very few coupes in NH.

Even the 2011 Convertible is a fair price at $24K, not incredible but about where it should be.

Good luck with any decisions you make.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Hvelez611
Registered Member

Appreciate the advice.. But she's just nervous about our finances seeing that we are both only 21, living on our own, and are full time students. Financially we can afford the car but she's worried about the price because it's a lot higher than what we initially wanted to spend. Also she did not want to go to a dealership that had just done us dirty.

Financing for 3.9% is through the dealership, I know I could get a much better I interest rate through my own credit union but the dealership said that the price reflected financing through them only. So if I wanted to finance through my credit union or pay in cash the price would increase $4,000.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
If the dealer stated that they won't take the cash so your credit union will buy it that's horrible not like they don't need the car off the lot anyway. They just want their part on the interest I would just walk away and tell them you want to work with the credit union and have them pay it for the price they're asking. Plus credit union better finance rate and sometimes 90 day no payment with no down payment so it's truly worth it. I would keep looking and work with a dealer willing to work with paying the car cash with the credit union.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Hvelez611
Registered Member

The dealer told me they would take my $10,000 down payment but would only sell the car for the Internet price if I financed through them. I am comfortable with the dealership, the salesman made me feel comfortable, he told me he does not get commission but gets salary so he doesn't even need to sell this car to us. I know how salesmen are and what they are about but this guy has great reviews and I can see why.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
I wouldn't do business with them on principle, regardless of the condition of the car
The following 3 users liked this post by G37xhibeet:
JohnnysG (04-21-2015), quakerroatmeal (04-14-2015), vqsmile (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
He's lying about not getting commission. A lot of salesmen do this to make you feel sorry for them. Fk that chit. Also, even if you did finance through them you could automatically go and refinance it through the credit union immediately after so no problem there. Honestly though, this dealership and salesmen sound shady so I would listen to your girl and move on. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Hvelez611
Registered Member

Can I post the dealership name or the link to the car so you guys can see what I'm working with?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Don't see why not but it looks like you are still determined to get it even though the dealership was shady?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:27 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xhibeet

I wouldn't do business with them on principle, regardless of the condition of the car
+1

I actually think he should have stayed in the car with his fiancé.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Hvelez611
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Don't see why not but it looks like you are still determined to get it even though the dealership was shady?
Well I'm on the fence about it, I can't just not go based on what a few people say on here. I didn't really do a good job explaining the dealership and it came off as shady to you guys. I admit I thought the dealership was shady too until I got there and spoke to the salesman. He told me they sold to celebs all the time and are partnered up with Roc Nation and he sure proved it to me. Maybe I'm just being naive? Also not sure if it's against the rules to post links and names
Old 04-13-2015, 06:43 PM
LateralSpeed

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coming from someone that used to sell cars and has been in sales for nearly 15 years, let me explain a few things:

1. The salesman will get commission of some sort, they are typically based off of profit but some dealerships pay based on units moved. Even dealerships like Carmax pay their people commission, when you have a salesperson that is not incentivized you wind up with employees like those at Best Buy that don't care if you buy something or not.

2. The dealer is likely demanding that you user their financing because they've discounted most of the profit they have in the car and want you to finance through them so they can pocket the extra point or two they're charging you and earn their money on the back end.

As for the car being sold, I'm sorry to tell you but sometimes **** happens and it could have been a genuine mistake, or they could have sold it. When it comes down to it, if they've got someone that is ready to buy a car, and someone that wants to look at it, they're going to sell it.

If you're comfortable with all of that and like the sales person then why not, the price sounds reasonable.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Typical salesman bait and switch and tries to make you feel sorry for him/her or comfortable. I'd be furious as well.

I would tell them the price that you are currently satisfied at (20k), financed through your credit union where you'll get the best rate..or tell them to kick rocks.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvelez611
Appreciate the advice.. But she's just nervous about our finances seeing that we are both only 21, living on our own, and are full time students.
FWIW My $.02

Don't buy it and don't buy a coupe.
Suppose you two have a child in the not too distant future.

A car seat fits better in a sedan

Buy a cheaper vehicle and save some money. I think your gf is a little more practical than you

Why should you have to drive three hours for a vehicle?
Find something local

Telcoman
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM
jman09

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
sounds like a bait and switch to me also. i agree with telcoman, find something local and even look at the g37 sedan (obviously a more practical car), which should be a bit cheaper than a coupe. but if you must have a coupe, just be a little more patient and you will find one. good luck OP.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? / my story