Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Bad Experiences with Infiniti Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 AM
D-G37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Experiences with Infiniti Dealers?

I wanted to see if anyone else has had a bad experience with buying a car from an Infiniti Dealer, what you ended up doing about it, and what was the final resolution.

I'm sure others have had worse experiences then what I have had and some people might say my experience wasn't that bad but here is my story:

I wanted to lease a new 2013 G37x with Premium and Nav package. I emailed the dealership first to see what they had in stock. They had plenty and I went down to take a look.

I got to the dealership, talked with the person I emailed and they took me over to a sales agent to go on a test drive. It was later in the day and cold out. The had a black one to test. It had all the features I was looking for including the illuminated kick plates, trunk mat, cargo net, and first aid kit. I liked the car but not the color. I wanted Graphite Shadow with a black interior. The sales guy looked around at the cars they had to find one and they had one. It was all wrapped up, seats still in plastic, and other cars in front of it. I asked the sales guy if the car had everything the black one I tested had. The sales guy said yes. I said as long as it is the same with all the same options (exactly the same) I don't need to test drive it first since it was going to be a lot of work for him to get it out and ready to go.

I go in the dealership to talk numbers. I don't normally haggle so I paid full price on the lease ($444 a month for 39 months 12k per year 0 down). I had a car to trade in. They looked at it and offered me only $11,000 for it. I already went to other dealerships and on average they offered me $13,500 for it. As soon as I said that the guy had no problem matching it. I understand they try to make everything they can on it but that's a pretty big jump and they should have been closer to that anyways. Both KBB and NADA was $15k. I also confirmed with the everyone about the car loaner policy since this was a big reason for the jump from Cadillac to Infiniti after an older co-worker told me he goes in and everytime he gets a free Infiniti loaner for his 6 year old infiniti g35 he bought.

They sold me on a basic maintaince package, remote starter (that was way over priced but said if I got aftermarket it would void the warranty which I'm pretty sure is illegal but maybe I'm wrong), and I also got the tire and wheel protection since it covered cosmetic damage.

I took all the paperwork home that night and was picking up the car on Monday after they go to the DMV and register the car and they would also inspect the car for free since they did car inspections at the dealership.

I took the vin and looked up the car online and I noticed it didn't have the illuminated kick plates, trunk mat, cargo net, and first aid kit listed like other cars did. I emailed the sales agent and sales manager. Both confirmed the colors were correct and the car matched the black one I tested. Long story short, it didn't have them when I went to pick it up. I was mad since I confirmed all this with them multiple times and in email. After talking with them they said they would include the illuminated kick plates, order them, and install them but not the rest. The sales agent took care of the trunk mat and cargo net for me which was nice of him. The sales manager told me about the survey and said they needed all 10's or they fail and to make sure I give them all 10's. I don't feel they earned all 10's and I don't feel you get them just for asking. I wish when I was in school I got all A's just for asking.

I had to wait about 10 days for the parts to come in. I confirmed with the sales agent if I could come in on Saturday since I work during the week and he said no problem, come in. I went down there and pulled in and told the first guy what I was there for. He looked at me like I had 4 heads. He took me to the service manager and told him what I was there for and the guy mentioned they only had hourly's on staff. I'm guessing they didn't have there full time people in but I'm not sure what he meant. The service manager said he would figure it out to the other guy, made a phone call to get the parts, and told me to wait a few minutes in the lounge. No problem. He comes back 15 minutes later saying they don't have the parts in and he would have to order them. I told him the sale manager already ordered them and emailed me telling me they were in after I already waited 10 days. He said there was nothing he could do, car was out front, here are the keys. I was pissed and he could tell. He said do you want me to have the car washed so your trip is not wasted. I live about 45 minutes away from the dealer so a car wash doesn't really make up for a wasted trip but why not. He said give them 10 minutes and it would be all set.

He comes back over and says they found the parts. It will be about 2 hours to install. At this point I have already been at the dealership for 40 minutes or so. I asked about a loaner car so I could go get some stuff done. Guess what... No loaner cars. The main reason for jumping to Infiniti and they have no loaner cars. I was already thinking to myself this dealership is going to be one of the worse to deal with. Little did I know...

I told him to just install them and I would wait at the dealership for 2 hours. He comes back about 90 minutes later to tell me they can't get the lights to work. They tried everything and they needed to order a new set. He said at least the car got washed and laughed. I was more then pissed at that point but I keep my cool during the whole thing since I wanted to see how this plays out being the nice guy. He said he would call me when the parts are in and said he would cover my next oil change. I told him I had free oil changes sicne I paid for the maint package. He said he would figure out something and next time I come in to come see him and he would make sure I have a loaner car so I don't have to wait. I guess loaner cars are a luxury even though I confirmed with the sales team (and a co-worker) what the dealerships loaner policy was since it was better then the normal policy. He also said he would overnight the parts for free for me.

The service manager calls me a few days later and says he got the parts in. I setup an appointment to go in the next day and told him it would be my wife going down with the car and make sure she had a loaner car like he said he would do. He calls me back and says no problem everything is all set.

My wife brings the car the next day and they did have a loaner car but couldn't give it to her since the inspection sticker had expired. They have an inspection station at the dealership and your telling me they only have one loaner car? They said they would set her up with a local rental company. They tried giving her a crappy KIA. So I buy a new 2013 G37x to drive a KIA. This was worse the GM... They finally upgraded the car to a Lincoln. My wife wanted a Infiniti EX or JX but now after testing the Lincoln SUV rental she wants a Lincoln. One less sale for Infiniti all because of a loaner car. They made my wife give a credit card to hold the rental. Standard for rental companies.

When the car was done my wife brought the car back to the dealership with the same gas in it as when she left the dealership, something I know you have to do with rental cars but I never had to do that with Lexus loaner cars unless you used a ton of gas. My wife went a total of 40 miles around the dealership but no big deal. They didn't wash the car or vacuum it. They said because it can't be washed for 48 hours after the kick plates are installed. Maybe that's true but they could still vaccum there mess out of the car.

At this point I almost don't want to go back to this dealership and go to one that is a little further away which is pretty sad. If I didn't have the maintenance package and had to stay with this dealership I would go to another dealership. I'm only 28 and have a lot more cars to buy in my life and my wife's life but maybe not at this dealership...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Wow... some experience. Sounds like they deserve all 0's for a bait and switch.

Suspect you learned your lesson about trusting salespeople too.

I would of had them pull the car out (even if there's 10 cars in front of it), inspect it myself to make sure it had everything I wanted.

Just because it says infiniti on the front door doesn't mean that the sales people are they much different. They tell you what you want to hear to make the sale.

When you do fill out the survey, give them marks you honestly feel they deserve.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM
D-G37x

Yea, so far not the best dealership or car purchase based on the dealership and not the car. This is my 11th car I have purchased in my life with 3 of them being new cars so I have been around the block. This is the first time something like this has happened. I don't think the sales manager and sales person meant to lie, I think they were lazy and didn't bother to check. It was kinda funny that everyone I talked with during the sales department worked at a nissian dealership down the road not owned by that dealership and I wonder if that has anything to do with the service level or maybe Nissian and Infiniti service is the same. Not sure.

I feel buying a car is only part of the process. I only deal with the sales people for a few days. I have to deal with the service people for years.

I guess if you want good service you need to go with a Lexus. That might be my next car in 39 months unless other infiniti dealerships are better. I will know over the next 39 months....
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM
BKsInfiniti

Personally my experience with my local Infiniti dealer hasn't been the best either. The sales department wasn't amazing, they did have a bit of trouble answering all my questions. I was pretty sold on the service loaner idea myself, the sales lady told me that I was able to get a loaner free of charge, and the first time I went in for service I was a bit disappointed with the loaner agreement, I was given half a tank of gas and was required to bring it back with the same amount (expected) but what got me was that I was given a 100km (62mile) limit, and any additional kms would cost extra. It`s around 40km from my house to the dealership, so a round trip on it`s own uses up 80/100km limit.

I found the parts department to be quite inconsistent, I called to ask about installing the OEM front lip on my sedan three times, and each time I got different quotes. At first they wanted to charge me $550 for the lip, and 2 1/12 labor ($136/hr) After looking around on the forums I read that it should't take nearly as long, and the part itself was quite pricey. It took some time, but after a ton of haggling I got them to lower their price. Also, the first time I called they told me their warehouse didn't have the lip I needed, and that it would take around 8 weeks to be shipped from Japan. I phoned back a week later and a different parts representative told me there was one at their Vancouver dealership, and that it would be ready for install in 2 days.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
jdhorn88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just depends on who you talk to really
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Wow... some experience. Sounds like they deserve all 0's for a bait and switch.
I wouldn't say it was a "bait and switch"...

He test drove a car and then asked about one in the back behind all the others that was still in wrap. It didn't sound like the sales person was pushing that car to him.

It might have been worth the few minutes to look over the sticker for the car before buying it instead of taking the sales person's word for it that it had the same equipment.

As far as the service, they could have done better...although to the OP this is a reflection on Infiniti, it's really a reflection on the individual dealership.
I've owned many different makes of cars and I've had good and bad experiences from every brand. Infiniti and Acura have been the best in my experiences.
My Infiniti dealership (Grubbs in DFW) has taken very good care of me over the last 1 1/2 years that I have owned one. Sales and service both...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
D-G37x

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I wouldn't say it was a "bait and switch"...
I don't think the sales guys planned on doing that. I think they just assumed it was the same and didn't check like I asked multiple times and in emails to them. Yes, I should have checked it out more and made them take it out for a test drive. Live and learn I guess.This whole thing is more about the local dealership. I called another infiniti dealership and they said I can go there with the maintenance package I purchased but my local dealership says I can't. Anyone know about this?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by D-G37x
I don't think the sales guys planned on doing that. I think they just assumed it was the same and didn't check like I asked multiple times and in emails to them. Yes, I should have checked it out more and made them take it out for a test drive. Live and learn I guess.This whole thing is more about the local dealership. I called another infiniti dealership and they said I can go there with the maintenance package I purchased but my local dealership says I can't. Anyone know about this?
I'm not sure about the maintenance package you purchased...is it with the dealership or through Infiniti?
If your dealer is saying no, you can't go somewhere else it makes me think it is through Infiniti and the dealer that does the maintenance gets paid by Infiniti.
If it was through the dealer, why should they care? They would already have their money whether you go to them or not.
I think you just need to find another dealer...there are always bad dealerships with any brand.
Good Luck to you....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Not knowing the dealerships side of the story (every story has 2 sides) I would say that is horrible customer service. 0s all the way around will get some attention.

When ever I sell a car, I make sure it has all the equipment we negotiated on and put it on the buyers agreement. If we have to add or do anything, it goes on the WE OWE. I then make copies of these and keep them for my record, hand one to parts and service, one in the deal jacket and one to the customer. Protects my but and my customers.

Best of luck OP.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
@tejasg37x, after a number of car purchases over the years, the conclusion I came to was that 99% of car sales people (from the sales person to the finance dept) are slime. The buyer really has to be on top of their game not to get taken advantage of. Maybe if the sales person is a relative or family member, then things are different.

Ultimately, it's part of the whole car buying experience. I still prefer to haggle than a fixed price scheme. Makes it more interesting.

Based on the stock #, they could of easily determined what additional options came on the car.

@Eljoker, too bad there's not more like you
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
@tejasg37x, after a number of car purchases over the years, the conclusion I came to was that 99% of ALL sales people (from the sales person to the finance dept) are slime. The buyer really has to be on top of their game not to get taken advantage of. Maybe if the sales person is a relative or family member, then things are different.

Ultimately, it's part of the whole car buying experience. I still prefer to haggle than a fixed price scheme. Makes it more interesting.

Based on the stock #, they could of easily determined what additional options came on the car.

There fixed it.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
@tejasg37x, after a number of car purchases over the years, the conclusion I came to was that 99% of car sales people (from the sales person to the finance dept) are slime. The buyer really has to be on top of their game not to get taken advantage of. Maybe if the sales person is a relative or family member, then things are different.

Tell me about it. Makes my job that much harder lol
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
tejasg37x

Jsolo, I would have said that many years ago...but today it doesn't seem like car sales people are as bad as they used to be.
On the other hand, buyers should always educate themselves about what they are buying. That goes for anything; especially something over $40,000.
Again, a quick look at the sticker would have told anyone what was on the car...this was a new car, not used.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
There fixed it.
SwissCheeseHead, completely not true.
There are people like myself that are actually engineers by education and experience that are now is sales.
I have extensive technical knowledge in my field and sell the parts necessary for semiconductor fabs to manufacture integrated circuits.
Customers depend on my 24 years of experience and knowledge to help get the proper parts for their application and design custom parts if necessary.
I'm hardly slime...I guess I'm the 1%?

Actually, sales people can only screw you if you let them...

Last edited by tejasg37x; 01-04-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
OP

Forgive me for saying this but you walked in as a victim. Full MSRP?
The whole dealership must have been notified that day, no wonder the service manager is now walking all over you.

Car salespersons are not like they used to be in the past. They want your business, and respect.
I don't know what happened to you,
Here's my experience:

I called fleet/internet at my Infiniti dealer, drove the car I wanted, they had to move a dozen cars to get to the one I wanted. It wasn't prepped, as it just came off the truck.
I then left the dealer telling them I was going to drive an Audi, and an IS-F.
They smiled, and no pressure applied.
Before I came back, I called the salesperson, told him I wanted the car. I researched going rates, Edmunds, Truecar etc. I wrote the price down on a post-it, that I was going to pay. It was $38,473 on a $45,580 MSRP.
I walked into the office, and said give me the best deal in order for me to leave with the car tonight, I will not stay and haggle. He printed out an invoice for $38, 513, I signed it!
I didn't haggle!!

I walked into the Finance office, and said don't sell me anything but the car. He didn't try at all. Gave me the wheel locks when I told him to remove them, as I wasn't paying $50 for a $20 set of locks.
I didn't haggle.

Time at dealer? 20 minutes.

3 days later I noticed my car had a Port installed trunk spoiler, meaning I had a 3rd brake light on the package tray, and one on the spoiler. Showing the salesman that they come with flat package trays (no 3rd light) when equipped with a spoiler, and a meeting with the service director, they ordered me a new package tray, no hassles.

30 days later, I wanted an Infiniti Elite 8 year 120000 mile extended warranty, I found prices online at 45% of dealer price when purchasing. I saw the same finance manager, and said, "knowing that I shopped the internet for an extended warranty, and I know the prices out there, what can you do for me?" He gave me a quote that beat all online prices.
I didn't haggle.

The whole service department treats me like a king, gives me a rental car even though the car is in the shop for an hour or two.
I get no crap about my modified car!

The only bad part was that they have chocolate chip cookies instead of donuts.

Oh, I leased my wife an EX35 a year later, with the same courtesy as before!!

Last edited by TVPostSound; 01-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Experiences with Infiniti Dealers?