Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

G37 auto or stick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Davis81387

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 auto or stick?

I would like to purchase a G37 in the next few months and have been doing my research on the net. I plan to go to the dealership sometime next week and test drive one and see what kind of deal they can give me. I am trying to decide whether to get the automatic or stick version. I know that driving stick is fun and engaging but I dont have much experience driving one (only driven one like once or twice). I don't have experience starting on a hill, driving in traffic, etc. How easy is it to learn on the 6mt or should I just stick with auto to avoid costly repairs? I am currently driving an 00' Infiniti I30t with 227 HP so even with the auto it's a huge step in power/performance for me. What do you guys think?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont know how to drive stick, then dont bother buying one it'll save you the headache. Get a Automatic with paddle shifters, they may suck but it gives you a feel of the manual transmission.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
w0ady

and exactly how do paddle shifters suck?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Davis81387

Thanks. I was considering the paddle shifters as an alternative but how do they suck? Also, is the new 09 7at a lot different than the 5at? I would like the 7at but I can get an 08 5at for significantly less.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM
SilverBullet

The G's clutch is a bit different from other manual car's that I have driven. There is not a lot of clutch feel and the catch point is very high, so most likely you will stall out a few times while learning to drive. That being said, I do not think that I would have gotten the auto if I had a choice to get it again. When test driving the auto, it felt simple and almost boring with the power. It felt weak for 330 hp. When I got the manual, it was 100x different in my opinion. It felt sportier and faster. The stick would vibrate, giving the sense of power waiting to be unleased. When I was driving it, it felt that a lot faster and stronger than the auto. BTW, this was also the first manual car that I have owned, and the first couple months it scared the **** out of me when driving, because I was nervous to stall or make a mistake. However, once I got the hang of it, I don't think I would ever trade it for the auto, because the manual shifting on the auto will never be the same. If you want to get the manual, then get the manual! In the short term, you might get discouraged, but in the long run you will be happy with your decision.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
kg37

The 5AT is just fine. The paddles do not suck. You will love the auto in the G37.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
w0ady

7at has shorter gearing down low so its quicker and the top 2 gears are mostly for overdrive so you get slightly better gas mileage at higher speeds. i waited for the 09 since i wanted an auto. i just like the option of slapping it in D when i need and i still have tiptronic AND paddle shifters for when i want to play. there is a slight delay in the shifting with the auto but you just have to know to shift a little before redline.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
uh... get stick, you can always learn, it takes practice but it can be done... with automatic you don't get any fun factor in driving, and depending if you're annoyed in heavy traffic or not, then you should get stick! there have been a few people here that have regretted getting auto and wanted to switch to stick... but that's costly obviously and you'll take a hit trading in your auto... i don't recall any manual guys wanting to go stick.... but in the end it's ultimately your choice, but get stick cause this car is meant to be stick!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Davis81387

Thanks for your opinions and advice. Sorry to change the subject but just one more question. Does anyone have the technology package on their cars? I was wondering if intelligent cruise control and the adaptive headlights are worth the money and can they be switched on and off?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM
w0ady

wow i dont see how you people can say theres no "fun" driving an auto? i rag the hell out of my auto with no problems. i chirp tires at almost every shift near redline. i push my car harder than most manual owners i know. anyone who has been to zdayz or driven with us on fl cruises know that. the cocky manual attitude is just as bad as bmw owners who think their cars are better because of a brand name.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
wow i dont see how you people can say theres no "fun" driving an auto? i rag the hell out of my auto with no problems. i chirp tires at almost every shift near redline. i push my car harder than most manual owners i know. anyone who has been to zdayz or driven with us on fl cruises know that. the cocky manual attitude is just as bad as bmw owners who think their cars are better because of a brand name.
whoa there w0ady i didn't mean to offend you, take it easy buddy. sure you can have fun driving your auto and i can have fun driving my manual. okay i'll just put it from my personal experience, i'm in college and i don't know about you but people think it's cool when i drive manual, they always say "glad you didn't get autofail" or something along those lines. the other day when i was at a restaurant we saw this modded out rsx that was auto, and everyone there was like man that's gay you don't buy that and make it auto... and made fun of him. although there's nothing wrong with driving auto, i see why there's a stigma surrounding driving auto versus manual. no i'm not saying you're an auto-fail but i think that manual > auto if you're driving a car like this. but of course, it's all what you want since it's YOUR car.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

+1 aliiin. I don't have anything against automatic drivers, but manual is more for me. Whatever tickles your pickle.. for ME, i find it more engaging and fun when i drive a manual vs an automatic. Both my parents drive automatic cars, no problems in that, thats what they like.

If you think a manual transmission is "too much work" then get an automatic. There is a reason why theyre outselling manual transmissions now. Not only do automatics eliminate most driver error, AND most of the time out-pace a manual...but it allows some drivers to pay more attention to the road, and you know eat stuff while driving.

To the OP: you definitely gotta try both when you go into the dealership next week. Let the salesman drive you around if your afraid to test the manual, but don't short-change yourself by not trying both.

Goodluck on your decision, hopefully you get a G37 soon!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just note that the auto tiptronic paddle shifting is not the same as a DSG where the shift is more direct and instant. there is a delay. in anycase you should drive both...if you don't know how to drive stick, learn...you may never know what you're missing.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by w0ady
and exactly how do paddle shifters suck?
Lots of people say they suck, Cause their use to driving MT, i love my paddle shifters though.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
SilverBullet

I have nothing against atuo, but manual in the G is much more fun. The sense of control over the engine is invigorating. Auto guys have fun too and they can choose to manually shift or let the car do it. One thing though, they can't rev-match downshift, which is fun and sounds cool too!

Quick Reply: G37 auto or stick?