Build Threads

AnotherVQ being built

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:19 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts
I got the HBP single v2 on my car today. It has the mid resonator and the helmholtz resonator.

The bar that goes under the exhaust pipe couldn't fit back on. I think it's because of my bushing for the exhaust hanger around the mid pipe. I have a stiffer, longer one there on the left side from the previous exhaust where I was attempting to move it away from the sway bar.

So in total I now have the Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes, Thaitanium resonated Y-pipe and the HBP single v2.

There's a little rasp between 3-3.5k, where on my old setup I had none. Other than that, it sounds fine. I think the "refinement" of the tone with the previous exhaust was better overall, but the single has a deeper tone (which was especially lacking at idle with the previous setup). It's also of course fun to have that loudness again so I can REALLY make it echo under tunnels and when driving next to cars in the other lane. Hopefully more power as well, but I'm sure it would be negligable.

Next step is to confirm that data logs don't show knock anymore, which would mean I was getting false knock. If that doesn't work, I may just have to go E85. I've been considering buying from VQFUELUPGRADES so I don't have to bother with any modifications to the fuel pump assembly. My tuner has some reccommended injectors by AUS.

I intend on doing a decibel reading with my sound meter and comparing it to all the other exhausts I've had. I use the measuring method on the books in Commiefornia. However, since my first test was on a stock tune, I couldn't get the RPMs to hit 75% as it was limited to 4500.. so all my tests are at 4500 to have some kind of fair comparison. The actual dB(A) is probably louder on each result (as the RPMs should be higher than 4500), but I'm not sure by how much. I didn't test it today because of heavy winds (plus I've been very busy).

AnotherVQ being built-1v6hxgr.jpg

AnotherVQ being built-npq1xgo.jpg

AnotherVQ being built-nqvkjcw.jpg

AnotherVQ being built-gsduuom.jpg

Last edited by AnotherVQ; 03-03-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:47 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

I went and got the videos of cold start and revs, along with decibel readings. I've measured these at 4500 RPM with the sound meter parallel to the ground, height set to the center point of the exhaust tip, backed up 20" and angled 45 degrees away. The RPM is supposed to be tested higher using this standard, but when I first tested I couldn't exceed 4500 RPM without being in drive. To keep tests consistent I've tested all of them at 4500 RPM, despite having the ability to exceed this later on.

Anyways, here are the results I've obtained in total along with comments on each:

Hallbuillt Performance Single Exit (original) with stock y-pipe and catalytic converters:
112.3 dBA
- Cold starts had a clattering sound. Very harsh. Abrasive sounding. Deep sounding, even at idle. Moderate drone at certain speeds but nothing unbearable.
- Some rasp around 3 to 3.5k

Stillen catback and Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cats:
101.5 dBA
- Very nice tone. Deep for a Stillen dual exit but not as deep as a single exit. Not loud enough for my taste. This is a very good sweet spot for those who want a really nice sound and aggressive sound under heavy acceleration, but can't use test pipes in their area due to stupid government nonsense, or don't want something really loud. I estimate it to be perfectly adequate in terms of how much louder it is than stock, but I've never daily driven a stock exhaust G.
- No Rasp
- Fitment on the Stillen catback was great, and the looks are close to stock. People who want to run OEM+ or similar may want to check out the Stillen.

Stillen catback and Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes :
- I had this on my car temporarily before switching to my next exhaust setup. I did not measure the dBA for this setup.
- I reccomend against running this combination, and I presume that any sort of long tube headers or test pipes, resonated or not, will have the same issue of rasp. It was pretty bad sounding and higher tone than the single exit rasp mentioned earlier. I've heard online that the ART pipes don't sound good with the Stillen catback either.

SOHO Motorsports Dual Exit with burnt tips, Thaitanium Performance Resonated Y-pipe and Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes:
- 100.8 dBA (I know I was having issues with the meter when I tested this. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but more on that later...)
- Very nice sounding. Very smooth. Deeper than the stillen but not deeper than a single exit.
- No rasp. Did I mention how smooth it sounds? Probably the best sounding combination I've had on the car -- more so than my current setup.
- Fitment not great and SOHO doesn't stand behind their products. Multiple forum members have had these issues.

Hallbuilt Performance Single Exit v2 with Helmholtz Resonator and Mid pipe resonator, Thaitanium Performance resonated Y-Pipe and Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes:
-112.1 dBA
- Haven't used it nearly as long as the others so far, but again it has a very deep sound to it. I've missed having the ability to make such loud noises, especially when driving by things that reflect the audio. It should be fun on cruises with other modified cars.
- The cold starts are loud, but are not so abrasive like they were with my original HBP setup, which I assume is mostly due to the helmholtz resonator and/or the resonated Y-pipe.
- There is noticable rasp, even with all these resonators, around 3k - 3.5k. It's worse than with the original, and I blame that on the existence of test pipes rather than stock cats. Other than some serious muffling (like an ultra quiet Vibrant Resonator used on the SOHO Dual Exit), I don't think much can be done about rasp with this engine when you have no cats.
- "Almost to the point of drone" or "extremely low humm" at certain speeds. Totally fine.
- I'm happy to be saving weight in the exhaust system. The SOHO Y-back was 45 pounds and this one is under 20 as the shipping weight was 20, and that includes packing material and the box.
- For a daily driver, this is probably more of an edgy "I don't care if you don't like it" type setup. It's a bit of a risk if you don't want to be annoying. You must be careful with your pedal when trying to be quiet.
- It sounds like I have something near the Y-pipe area that may be tapping against something. I think this wasn't happening before due to the bar that wouldn't fit back on not being attached. I think that bar couldn't go on because my left exhaust hanger is a longer/stiffer one and not the stock one, so it sits a little lower than it should (thanks to SOHO for making me go through so much trouble trying to stop it from hitting the swaybar). I intend on switching the right side one with the left side one.

The "more on that": I've come to the conclusion that the changes in perceived decibels is hard to measure with such a cheap tool (RISEPRO HT-80A). It probably is within a margin of error which is giving me results that don't make sense. I would think that a better flowing Y-pipe and some test pipes would result in a louder sound than the stock y-pipe and test pipes at 4500 RPM. I guess it could technically be dropping in decibels due to the reonsators, but I wouldn't think that would outweigh the straight-through design of the rest of the exhaust components.

And here are clips of the current setup:
(the airy/farty sound isn't really audible in person; I think this is a limitation of the mic in my phone)

Cold start and idle: https://streamable.com/j4xs1j
Rev and pops: https://streamable.com/urj2xo
The following 2 users liked this post by AnotherVQ:
projectpanda13 (07-12-2023), Rochester (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
That post belongs somewhere that it can be seen more. Where?
Old 03-04-2023, 03:03 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That post belongs somewhere that it can be seen more. Where?
I wanted to but when I posted the same information in this thread as I did another you told me not to do that.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by AnotherVQ
I wanted to but when I posted the same information in this thread as I did another you told me not to do that.

Something made me go back and read this from the beginning. This is a great freaking build thread. Post wherever you want, man. And if I give you flack about it, just remind me.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-04-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:49 AM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Got the AEM 340 LPH installed today. Will do injectors and flex fuel kit in the future. May have some other expenses coming up first.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:40 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

It seems I never posted information on my Q60 shifter and boot upgrade, which I installed on November 8th, 2022...

Also, on December 3rd, 2022 I installed a new brake light flasher for my 3rd brake light...

The amount of blinks as well as speed are adjustable, and I can set it to not strobe every time I hit the brakes. It can wait 10 seconds before doing it again so that it doesn't happen every single brake press. It can even stack this 10 second wait time up to 1 minute if I keep hitting the brakes too close together at a time...

video: https://i.imgur.com/46FGQ3a.mp4

Finally, on the same day, I installed a titanium dipstick from Tig Welding Creations:

Old 03-04-2024, 03:10 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Pretty sure the date was 2/17/24 that I installed the injectors and flex fuel kit. Had some wiring issues, which were resolved 3/2/24.

Now I'm working on draining the 93 from it so I can fill it with E85 and start logging and eventually complete the tune.

I ordered a dent pulling kit to remove some hail damage from a cruise I went on last year as well.

After these things I'll be taking a trip to Birmingham Alabama from central Arkansas, most likely.. probably within some months. Just for a weekend. If anyone is out there they might see me around. As that is going to cost a bit, and I have other things for my home I want to buy I'll probably put off most modding for a bit, then resume mostly visual stuff. Big changes planned to overhall the looks of the car.

I do plan to dyno the car on E85, but sadly the place I went to before isn't any longer in business.. so it will just more be for fun and to add to the massive amounts of data that exist online for dynos.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:48 AM
camopaint0707
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
where did you get the shifter from?
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 09:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 1,018 Posts
See this post. The shifter knøb/ boot is from the Q60/ (Q50).
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (03-05-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:29 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

A week or two ago data logging and ROM flashing was completed. The car has been running on E85 for a while now.