Build Threads

My G37 journey from STOCK to CUSTOM

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My G37 journey from STOCK to CUSTOM

After 12 years driving a 2003 Lincoln Navigator, I am now in a position not only to have the car I always wanted again, but also to turn it into my MODIFIED G37. I'll be posting the progress, and what I'll be putting on it.

1st thing has been to sand the headlights, make them look new and clear coated them, although there is a spot where the bulb burnt the inside of the lenses. Not a deal breaker, at least NOT for me!
2nd thing has been a front bumper lip. I attached pictures.

1st picture is before lip install, 2nd picture is with lip install. (small change, BIG change in looks). What do you think?

Last edited by Skitzo; 04-09-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: adding a picture
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (04-27-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Next order of business being currently done is:

3rd - Borla S-type catback full exhaust
4th - K&N cold air intake
5th - JDM 3 stage OBD II chip install
6th - tinting windows
5th - installing front fog lights

After these above, I'll do:
6th - aftermarket rear bumper (more sporty: https://www.bodykits.com/i-24235656-...ce-108240.html)
7th - Turning stock touch screen to run Apple Car Play off my iPhone
8th - Upgrade Bose stock speakers and subs with Arc Audio speakers, JL Audio subs and Arc Audio amps, plus I'll do a custom box for extra subs & amps in the small compartment in the trunk beneath the roof, when the roof is in the trunk.
9th - Vossen HF1 hybrid forged wheels (9 front, 10.5 back - being made, already ordered them)

I'm excited as F*** to have it all done in the end. I'll keep you all posted!
Old 04-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Clean headlights make all the difference! Well done.

Moving this to the Build Threads forum. Newbie or not, sure does read like a build thread.

Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Skitzo
JDM 3 stage OBD II chip install!
What?
​​​​​​​
Old 04-10-2020, 06:45 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
I can only guess he means this (googled):
https://www.performancechiptuning.co...ule-for-smart/

Don't waste your money OP. You'll need a real tune.
Skitzo (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Yea, no such thing as 'chipping' our cars. UpRev or ECUTEK tune from a reputable tuner is the only way to go.
Skitzo (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:28 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

I have bigger problems now... ... Ordered the Borla S-Type Catback exhaust for my vert G37 ... ...

... ...and it only fits coupes, NOT vert coupes. I'm depressed!

I really wanted a Borla exhaust. Stillen makes one that fits a vert G37, but I don't know if it's too loud. I'm NOT into waking-up the neighboorhood. I just want it loud when I want it to, NOT always.

Don't know if Stillen is comparable to Borla as far as sound goes.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I can only guess he means this (googled):
https://www.performancechiptuning.co...ule-for-smart/

Don't waste your money OP. You'll need a real tune.

How do I go about getting a "Real Tuning"? I'm in Utah. I'm so new to this, most of what you guys tell me is Chinese to me, but... ... I'm learning!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yea, no such thing as 'chipping' our cars. UpRev or ECUTEK tune from a reputable tuner is the only way to go.
Are they in Utah as well? Nevermind... ... I'll google them!
Old 04-12-2020, 11:33 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Skitzo
How do I go about getting a "Real Tuning"? I'm in Utah. I'm so new to this, most of what you guys tell me is Chinese to me, but... ... I'm learning!

Basically for tuning these cars you need to use UpRev or ECUTek. Different tuners can do these in person, by mail, or an E-tune. Most popular tuners off the top of my head are Admin, Z1, and RJM. There are more and most likely some local to you. Just google any of those names as well as tuning methods.
Skitzo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Tons of time is on your side, and lots of helpful resources here, before getting tuned needs or wants to be on your schedule. In the meantime, you've got lots of other car projects you can plan out and work on. If you don't want this to be your build thread, let me know. Seemed the right thing to do, but whatever... just a car forum, and should have been your call.

Back in 2011, an old friend loaned me his 2010 Vert 6MT for a few days, so I could get the feel for the G37 and determine hands-on whether or not the G was going to be my next car. Granted, I was looking for the Sedan 6MT, and that Vert was heavy as a brick, but close enough to convince me. What a great car. I've always been grateful for that opportunity.

You never said what year your sport-package Vert is, or whether it's a MT or 7AT. Here, this is always a helpful run-down of features:

https://www.infinitihelp.com/models/...ifications.php

Last edited by Rochester; 04-13-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Hey Rochester,
mine is a 2010 G37S 7AT, not manual! I owned a G35 back in the day and I absolutely loved it. Then had to let it go for financial reasons, and I always stayed with that little thing inside that one day I'd get it again. 4 years later, I found a better and improved newer version, not only the S model, but coupe and convertible, on top of that! How did I get so lucky.. .. .ahahahah ... .... I did pay a bit for it, but it's the car I always wanted and I didn't care!

Can't wait to have it all finished-up!

Last edited by Skitzo; 04-13-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:25 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
I was quoted $750 for a "Streeet Tuning", $950 for a Dyno one, where they give you all the numbers for the improvements. Are those prices fair? Is that what these things cost , or is it too much?
Old 04-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
That's about right. If you have access to a reputable tuner shop, go for it. Street tuning is for when the dyno tune isn't practical, or when you really got the DIY bug for the fun of it. Seems two of the biggest names for remote tunes are Moncef and Seb.

Good luck.

Oh hey, I found this old video of my then 12 year old kid (she's 20 now), while I had my friend's car at home. Look familiar?

Last edited by Rochester; 04-13-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

I want to get that done, remote top off! I love it! Just checking if my guy at the shop will be able to do it, before I spend the money in getting the mod!
Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
That's about right. If you have access to a reputable tuner shop, go for it. Street tuning is for when the dyno tune isn't practical, or when you really got the DIY bug for the fun of it. Seems two of the biggest names for remote tunes are Moncef and Seb.

Good luck.

Oh hey, I found this old video of my then 12 year old kid (she's 20 now), while I had my friend's car at home. Look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-XEaun1z0w

Hey,
do you happen to know if they make anywhere custom / aftermarket tail lights for the g37 vert? The ones they make for the coupe 2 door, do NOT fit a vert. OEM massive is what I'm talking about! I don't want the smoke look, I want the cleear / chrome tail light, but nowhere I found where they make some for the convertible G37.

Quick Reply: My G37 journey from STOCK to CUSTOM