Build Threads

Requin6's 2012 Graphite Shadow Sport Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Requin6

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Requin6's 2012 Graphite Shadow Sport Sedan

Greetings all. I have been lurking in the weeds for almost 2 years here on myg37.com. Bought my S Sedan in March of 2016 with 26k on the clock and told myself that I was not going to mod this car. It is plenty fast, plenty nimble and looks stylish enough. I live in Maryland and sought a southern car with no corrosion. I found this car that lived its life in the Houston TX area.

With that said, I have modified every car that I have ever owned and after nearly 2 years with this car I finally got bit. This car is not my daily driver and in stock form I found myself at a crossroads of either selling it or making a commitment to it that would encourage me to keep it, drive it more and not have another stock, although nice sedan sitting in the stable.

I love cars. I love working on them. I love maintaining them. I love racing them. I am just a car guy.

Not only am I a car guy but I am also a watercraft guy. But that is a story for another day.

Currently in the stable resides this 2012 G37S Sedan, a 2014 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4 for hauling, towing our watercraft and other trailers, and other household needs. 6 months ago I scooped up a 2006 Nissan Xterra for a little offorad/trail/around town build. I have a 2002 Infiniti i35 as mostly my commuter/beater and rainy day ride. My wife also has a 2012 Journey Sedan.

I have previously owned 4 Nissan A-chassis cars and spent a lot of time on Maxima.org.

But I digress...this is about the progress on the G37.

Purchased in March 2016 with 26k miles.

Name:  letln8i.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  592.5 KB

Shortly after purchasing. 50% 3M Crystaline tint all around and Carsmo *****.

Name:  GJtTiRn.jpg
Size:  745.0 KB

Name:  eTxVxyc.jpg
Size:  631.0 KB

Fast forward to February 2018 with 37k miles.

Installed Tein Basis coilvers and RedSport 19x9 +37 squared wheels with 245/40/19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. FTG set at 26.75. Install was pretty straight forward. Definitely different than the FWD Nissans I am accustomed to working on. All in all I was up and down in about 3 hours. I took it for a 5 mile drive around town and its firmer but not harsh. Flatter in the turns. All is quiet and not clunky. I believe I am all the way down on the adjustment in the rear.

Going to try to drive it for a couple weeks and then get it on an alignment rack. Hopefully I can get it in spec without too much camber/toe equipment. But if I do I will be seeking everyones advice on the proper equipment.

Pardon the low light, cell phone pics...

Name:  6pmxxvg.jpg
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  i8V4BFX.jpg
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  jMwew5F.jpg
Size:  695.6 KB

I have an OEM chin spoiler being delivered soon so I'll post back once I get that on.

I am going to paint the front grille body color. Same for the chrome trunk trim/spoiler. Still on the fence about the chrome window trim. I am leaning towards black vinyl.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Requin6; 02-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Requin6

Reserved
Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Requin6

Reserved.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Paul, as with your past builds it's looking great! I've been thinking about that color for my anniversary wheels that need re-painted. I recommend the black window trim, especially if your going body color on the grille.
Can't wait to see what else you do with it! I'll have to holler at you the next time i'm in town, just came through there yesterday.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great intro to your build! Those Redsport wheels really compliment your G very well.

Maybe it's the downward angle of the pics but looks like your G (at least in the back) looks to be dropped about like mine at 26.25, but ???

If you haven't see the DIY trim wrap, here' it is, would be a nice change IMO, and those new wheels would go well w/ a black trim wrap. Might also look at Rochesters front grill, he went body color on the grill frame and black in the middle, that would tie-in well if you went black around the windows.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-g-sedans.html
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Requin6

Originally Posted by tank99
Paul, as with your past builds it's looking great! I've been thinking about that color for my anniversary wheels that need re-painted. I recommend the black window trim, especially if your going body color on the grille.
Can't wait to see what else you do with it! I'll have to holler at you the next time i'm in town, just came through there yesterday.
Thanks man, you still have my number? Text me if you are passing through!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Great intro to your build! Those Redsport wheels really compliment your G very well.

Maybe it's the downward angle of the pics but looks like your G (at least in the back) looks to be dropped about like mine at 26.25, but ???

If you haven't see the DIY trim wrap, here' it is, would be a nice change IMO, and those new wheels would go well w/ a black trim wrap. Might also look at Rochesters front grill, he went body color on the grill frame and black in the middle, that would tie-in well if you went black around the windows.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-g-sedans.html
Thanks! I re-measured FTG and I am at 26.5 in the front and 25.75 in the rear. It must have settled down on the test drive. I am sure I'll end up having to raise the rear up to get it to align. It looks so good at current ride height though!

Thanks for those links. I have read through them before and will tackle it soon. I like Rochesters grille and I do think it will tie in with the window trim. I think what i'll do is paint the entire grille body color and then use the black vinyl on the horizontal slats that way I can remove it if need be.

The chin spoiler showed up on my doorstep this evening. I mocked it up and it looks great. I should be able to get it installed later this week.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Requin6

Oh a note on the Tein Basis install....

I wanted to keep my stock suspension in tact in case I wanted to go back to the plush ride or to sell the car. So I ordered new OEM Nissan top mounts ,spring seats and strut tower gaskets. Assembled the new coilovers a couple days ago, pulled the whole stock assembly out and popped the Teins right in. No need to compress the springs and I have the full stock assembly ready to go back in if need be. Cost was roughly $110 per side and well worth it.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice route to take on the Tein install, how many miles on your G? Using fresh upper mounts will probably result in quieter operation too depending on your current mileage.

That rear height will probably make navigating on your daily drives a bit more challenging. I was at 25.75" on B&G springs and it's so much more fun driving at 26.25" on coils, and the bottom side of my Y-pipe seems to be much happier too

Sounds like you've got some nice items on the menu, look forward to the progress.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Requin6

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice route to take on the Tein install, how many miles on your G? Using fresh upper mounts will probably result in quieter operation too depending on your current mileage.

That rear height will probably make navigating on your daily drives a bit more challenging. I was at 25.75" on B&G springs and it's so much more fun driving at 26.25" on coils, and the bottom side of my Y-pipe seems to be much happier too

Sounds like you've got some nice items on the menu, look forward to the progress.
37k on the clock. We had a couple inches of snow the other day but luckily it rained this morning so all the salt is off the road. I have a 25 mile commute so it will be nice to see how it performs at this height.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Requin6

Alright finally a decent day outside to snap some pics. I got the car all cleaned up a week ago to take some pics....and it hasn't stopped raining since.

Today I sorted out the TPMS light. Apparently on 2011+ G's you can't do the paperclip trick to reset the light after installing new sensors. I called up my local Costco and they activated the new TPMS for me. No charge, took them like 5 minutes.

For the last couple weeks I have had this annoying rattling coming from the front of the car. I figured it was a heat shield or under body trim piece loose. Turned out to be the dust shield on the front passenger brakes. I just sort of twisted and turned it in hopes that it would go away. Luckily it's all quiet.

I installed the OEM front chin spoiler. Install was super easy. I did not drill the visible parts of the car in the event that I want to take it off. I also did not use the double sided tape for the same reason. It is snug just being mocked up but I did fasten it with the 10mm screws and 4 pop in clips. I wasn't too concerned with drilling 4 holes in the underside of the bumper cover. With it mounted at 6 points underneath and tight on the sides I do not foresee this piece going anywhere.

I also raised the rear of the car up. Got it up about half an inch to just shy of 26.25. Too much tuck before and it looked a bit saggy in the rear. I may even decide to move it up another couple turns in the future. We'll see.

Here are some pics....

Name:  fdcDXia.jpg
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  vRltJk2.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  JtdwBwD.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  jQzMd2r.jpg
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  qMydvM8.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  101.5 KB

Last edited by Requin6; 02-27-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:40 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
How about that rain though??

Got all excited to see the 70 degree weather....Just for it to rain for a week straight. Made working underneath the G and my Volvo a real treat....
Old 02-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Requin6

Mailman just dropped off a package my package from Diode Dynamics. Took 5 minutes to install the plug and play brake light to turn signal module into mine amd my wife's sedans.

I have always found the stock turn signal difficult to see while braking. So I justified it to her as a safety issue!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Real nice job on this G, think you'll have a bit more fun driving at the new height too!