Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
What ever happened to using a jack and jack stands to work on your car? You can even pull the wheels/tires off that way too.
I still do that if I'm doing brake work or something that requires tire removal. But if you can get on ramps it's much quicker and easier for exhaust, oil, etc
Old 07-31-2017, 02:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Do you normally park your car on an oriental rug?? So fancy!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Haven't put it on the car yet. Had to take a macro shot on my dining room table first LOL

Yea, the tablecloth is back! "And all was right with the world again."
Old 07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
As far as I can tell, this new 1.65" aluminum hose clamp from P2M is a perfect fit. Being fully clamped down is right on the money as tight as I could get anyway. Knock on wood for no coolant leakage... assuming that, this is a highly recommended bit of engine bay bling.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Do you normally park your car on an oriental rug?
Yep. Before sending them to the curb, old throw rugs get a stint of garage duty for a few years.

Sadly, the garage floor is really bad, 4DRZ. Cement is cracked and heaving, and the carpets help. I can't even guess how old it is... 60 years, probably. I replaced the roof almost 20 years ago, and there were no less than 3 layers of ashpalt over the original layer of cedar. Had to replace all the collar ties just to keep it solid. It's usable now, and functional, but very basic. Honestly, I'm just happy to have a garage at all.

I would LOVE to have a heated 3-car garage, with drainage and a lift... that would be a dream.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-31-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Yep. Before sending them to the curb, old throw rugs get a stint of garage duty for a few years.

Sadly, the garage floor is really bad, 4DRZ. Cement is cracked and heaving, and the carpets help. I can't even guess how old it is... 60 years, probably. I replaced the roof almost 20 years ago, and there were no less than 3 layers of ashpalt over the original layer of cedar. Had to replace all the collar ties just to keep it solid. It's usable now, and functional, but very basic. Honestly, I'm just happy to have a garage at all.

I would LOVE to have a heated 3-car garage, with drainage and a lift... that would be a dream.
Damn, you are fancy. Guys are standing around talking about their awesome garages and you can just step in and say, "That's nice gentlemen, but I change my oil on top of oriental rugs." Then drop a wrench like you are dropping the mic and just walk away. Baller.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
2GoRNot2G (08-08-2017), blnewt (07-31-2017), r2dmax (08-04-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
I still do that if I'm doing brake work or something that requires tire removal. But if you can get on ramps it's much quicker and easier for exhaust, oil, etc
Hmmm. I guess maybe there is a point to those ramps other than for show cars.

I've actually got 3 sets of ramps sitting in the corner or my garage that I have never used. People keep giving them to me as gifts, but I'm so used to using a jack and jack stands that I've never actually used the ramps. I guess I just like all the extra room I get when I jack the car up really high... enough room for me, my creeper, and a nice cold beer. Plus, I can't actually remember the last time I only did an oil change on the car without doing something else while I'm under there.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Just skimmed through this thread. You've been a busy man. Lots of good info and your G looks great!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Over the last month or two, I've been experiencing a persistent creaking noise in my car. Figuring out mystery noises are always a difficult thing, but doubly so for me, because I'm 100% deaf in one ear, so I can't distinguish direction.

I thought maybe it was because I took my rear seat apart last month, so I took it apart again... noise was still there, just louder, LOL.

I thought maybe it was the new diff bushings that went in a few months ago, but I've ruled that out now that I've got proper race ramps to get under the car, and shoved one of my daughters underneath to identify the location of the noise. It's clearly coming from the passenger rear corner.

It's not a rolling noise, it's suspension, because I can repeat it easily by opening the trunk and rocking the car up and down. P-Brake on or off, doesn't matter. I say that, because the P-Brake is known to create a similar noise when engaged and you rock the car.

Next up, I ordered a cheap stethoscope with an extension, that I plan on using to pin-point which component is groaning. Based on all this, I'm suspicious of the rear shock... which is a component of the Tein Basis Coilover package, and only has 11,000 miles on it.

Makes me very unhappy with the car, on top of which my awesome mechanic of nearly 10 years is starting to get withdrawn and unapproachable, not returning calls or texts or even being at his shop with any regularity. He's really skilled, and fair, but if I can't get him to work on the car anymore, I may have to find a new shop. Damn it.

I also don't know if a single Tein rear shock can be purchased, of if that stuff is only sold as a complete kit. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Last edited by Rochester; 08-14-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you ever change the rear sway bar links? When they dry out/ go bad they can make a creaking noise when bouncing the car.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SomeName
Did you ever change the rear sway bar links? When they dry out/ go bad they can make a creaking noise when bouncing the car.
Nope, never did. Those are original, and the car has been lowered for a few years. So yeah... that's got possibilities. Thanks, Zack.

With a listening tool pressed up to different locations, I'm anticipating something somewhere will be screaming in my ear, but I've never done this before.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I was thinking more about the beefier sway bar, and your driving style . All things considered, there is definitely more stress on the links. If possible, grab hold of one of them while someone bounces the car. You might be able to feel a vibration with the creaking.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
If you do new endlinks, I got the Moog ones as replacements. I think you will be plenty satisfied with them. You will need a grease gun though fyi
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
If you are running Hotchkis sway bars, those bushings have a tendency to start to creak/squeak (and sometimes even clunking) if not lubed every 5K miles or so. I've now had them on my car for 8 - 9 years (was the 2nd test car for them) and have had to lube them once or twice a year every since installing them. Its been an endless cycle and at one point even lubing my front Hotchkis sway bar bushings didn't fix my problem and I actually had to replace the bushings with new ones to get the noises to stop.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
If you do new endlinks, I got the Moog ones as replacements. I think you will be plenty satisfied with them. You will need a grease gun though fyi
I've gone back and forth between OEM, Moog, SPL and SPC over the last few years, and have already settled on Moog should the time come. I used Moog suspension components in my Maxima, and was very content with the decision. Better than OEM, and certainly good enough for this class of car.

Grease gun is no problem. Thanks, 4doorfury.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
If you are running Hotchkis sway bars, those bushings have a tendency to start to creak/squeak (and sometimes even clunking) if not lubed every 5K miles or so. I've now had them on my car for 8 - 9 years (was the 2nd test car for them) and have had to lube them once or twice a year every since installing them. Its been an endless cycle and at one point even lubing my front Hotchkis sway bar bushings didn't fix my problem and I actually had to replace the bushings with new ones to get the noises to stop.
Eibachs, and they were just re-greased 3 months ago when I had the gears swapped.

Got my "mechanics" stethoscope in the mail today. Let's see if it helps me pin-point the eek-eek-eek.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (08-15-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I've gone back and forth between OEM, Moog, SPL and SPC over the last few years, and have already settled on Moog should the time come. I used Moog suspension components in my Maxima, and was very content with the decision. Better than OEM, and certainly good enough for this class of car.

Grease gun is no problem. Thanks, 4doorfury.

Eibachs, and they were just re-greased 3 months ago when I had the gears swapped.

Got my "mechanics" stethoscope in the mail today. Let's see if it helps me pin-point the eek-eek-eek.
Look forward to your diagnosis Dr. Clare

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G