Build Threads

Forged Performance: 2011 STi Sedan MONSTER Build **check back often**

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forged Performance: 2011 STi Sedan MONSTER Build **check back often**

It's with great pleasure that we're ready to announce the latest member of the Forged Performance shop car stable: Our brand new 2011 STi sedan! As many of you know, over 1/3 of our business is Subaru and we've pumped out some pretty impressive builds and tuning results over the past few years. Each year, we put together one showcase Forged vehicle that usually ends up on the cover of Modified Magazine, and is seen at events all over the country. We are pretty sure this one will result in the same fate.

We took possession of the car about 30 days ago and so far it's bone stock with 1600 miles on the odometer. Sharif has been using it as his daily the past few weeks and has fallen in love with the car. Everything feels a little bit different (in a good way), than the 08-10 STi. The seating position is lower, the ergonomics a little better, and visibility is significantly better. It's going to take some effort to pry the keys away from him!

We have an exciting build plan scheduled for the car, with a very fast timeline in place. Our goal for our 2011 STi Sedan, is to create a 500-600whp daily driver that is also well suited for the fun track day weekend. This is a departure from some of our last project cars which were all out race-car efforts with tons of power, no interior, and lots of noise! While those are fast on the track, we wanted to create a sleeping giant that could serve double duty as daily driver and track monster, while remaining socially acceptable. Like all Forged vehicles, everything we install and sell is thoroughly tested both on the road and more importantly...on the track. We can't tell you how many times we've seen high performance parts fail under moderate track use. Those are parts that Forged will never sell to the public.

That said, I wanted to announce our collection of heavy hitter sponsors for this project. We are really excited to have them on board, and have selected only the best leaders in their respective industries. Without their support, this project would not be happening. We are honored that they are partnering with Forged Performance on this amazing full scale buildup that is sure to set some records.

Marketing Partners:

- Mackin Industries/Volk Racing
- Whiteline
- AMS Performance
- JRZ Suspension
- Cobb Tuning
- GTSpec
- Manley
- DeatschWerks
- StopTech
- Perrin
- OS Giken
- Tomei

Stay tuned, as we'll be updating this thread very regularly. Baseline track data, and dyno charts, and full build details coming shortly!!

In the meantime, here are a few teaser shots.

At Forged, we take it one step further. In addition to baseline dyno numbers, we present baseline Road Atlanta laptimes. 1:47 BONE stock at Road Atlanta.

Parts are rolling in by the UPS truck load....you'll gonna love this!

Last edited by travis@forged; 12-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dam, that should be one hell of a build!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
j784wrx

subscribed
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the comments guys! We will be updating the thread shortly.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

AMS really stepped up with the project build and sent us their larger turbo kit available for the STi. We've done almost a dozen of the AMS rotated turbos kits and the quality, fitment, materials used in the kits are second to none. It's no wonder we are among the top dealers of these kits in the country.

After a thoughtful discussion, we decided to take the go big or go home approach with the turbocharger selection. So we opted for the AMS Rotated Mount 950R V-Band kit which features a 44mm WG, .82AR, and a Precision 67mm turbocharger capable of producing 800hp worth of airflow.

We took some high res macro close up shots so you all can really appreciate the quality of this kit. We've visited their facility and Martin and Eric gave us the guided tour. They house some of the best welders and fabricators in the country. We've decided that while our Forged S2 Shortblock and Cylinder Heads are coming together, Sharif is going to install and tune this massive turbo kit on the stock block. 22-25psi and E85 on the stock block should work nicely until our stroker motor is ready to go! It's going to be really interesting to see what kind of numbers we can achieve with this turbo.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Very nice car, is the gt-r still around? any updates on that MONSTER?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Alright, it's time to reveal the braking package. The guys have volunteered to come in on Saturday and install these bad boys so I should have the install pics up by Monday.

StopTech is a company that needs no introduction, but I will give one anyways. We first met them back in 2003 and immediately sensed their passion for all things related to performance vehicle braking systems. They are enthusiasts, just like all of us. Their brakes have been used on countless track, and daily driven vehicles, and are the stoppers used by many teams in World Challenge, Grand Am, Time Attack, and many other professional motorsports organizations.

They are constantly testing, and improving their products and we've been with them every step of the way. Ask any good race car driver what the MOST important element of a good track car is. Universally, the answer is a strong and consistent braking system. Nothing is more confident inspiring that an amazing set of brakes that can haul a vehicle down from 150mph+ down to 50mph in just a couple of seconds. Without 110% confidence in our brakes, our lap times would suffer dramatically. I'd gladly take improved braking power and feel over 50whp any day of the week.

During my baseline laps at Road Atlanta, the OEM brakes were horribly soft, inconsistent, and confidence eroding which is exactly the opposite of what we want in a performance car. I just never knew what I was going to get when I dipped into the brakes. Of course, the OEM pads, lines, and rotors were never designed for the abuse I gave them and they gave the best they could. Because our STi project car is destined for more weekend track fun, it made perfect sense to install StopTech's largest big brake kit which features a 6 piston front caliper with 355mm rotor, and a 2 Piston rear caliper with 345mm rotor. We selected a set of Carbotech XP10's all around which should compliment our tires, weight, and suspension choices nicely.

This is a complete bolt on solution, that includes all the lines, brackets, calipers, rotors, nuts bolts, and so on...install takes about 4-5 hrs including removing all the old parts, and bleeding the braking system.

We'll keep you posted as the install takes place this weekend.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM
strdr19

sick. super duper sick
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Some quick pics from the install, and a quick bedding in around the block. Sorry for the poor lighting...it was late. As usual with Stoptech products, the fitment and installation was absolutely flawless and perfect. Very straightforward install, even with the current street oriented pads on the car, the braking performance is exponentially better than OEM.

Also a little teaser for the wheels...Volk SuperLaps.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Now that the StopTech brakes are on, here is a proper look at what they have to work with!

I've known Eddie, Brian and the guys at Mackin for nearly a decade. Over the years we've become good friends and their largest Volk Distributor in the country. Rays/Volk make the strongest motorsports oriented wheels in the business. Ray's is also a leading supplier of OEM wheels for the likes of Nissan (GT-R, 370Z, 350Z..etc), Toyota and and many others. They also supply wheels for Formula 1 and the American Lemans Series. We approached Mackin Industries about our build and they set us up with the newly released Volk Racing TE37 Super Laps. As opposed to the normal TE37 wheels, the SuperLaps are meticulously machined down to reduce excess weight and rotational mass, thus creating the lightest TE37 racing wheel to date. And as an added bonus, they are significantly cheaper than the regular TE37!

Looking closely at the Super Laps, you can see that the lug area has been machined smooth and concave. Each spoke has been shaved down. Furthermore, track cars don't use center caps so you won't find any here either. The 18X10 +40 is a perfect fitments as you can see in the profile shots. We are running a Toyo R888 in 265/35/18 size and once we dial in the camber and ride height it should tuck in perfectly behind the fender. We also rolled the rear fender and there is absolutely no rubbing. I will also point out, that we temporarily installed some Tein S Tech lowering springs as our JRZ shocks are about 2-3 weeks out. The car just doesn't look right with the wheels without a drop...so we had to take care of that.

Mackin Industries is the sole distributor of Rays Engineering wheels in the USA and being that we at Forged Performance use nothing but these high quality racing products on our projects, it seemed like a perfect fit for our STi build. If anyone is interested in securing a set of these wheels for their own project, Forged Performance is the #1 Volk Racing dealer in the USA and we try to keep decent stock at all times.

WHEEL SIZE
TE37SL
18x10J +40

TIRE SIZE
Toyo R888
265/35/18

Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sick!! i still think the 06-07 were the best ones though
Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

OK, the moment we've all been waiting for!

Stock vs. Cobb OTS vs. Cobb Pro Tuning Results on STOCK car!

Forged Performance has been a Cobb Pro Tuner for a few years now across the entire array of Cobb support cars: Subaru, Nissan GT-R, Mitsubishi, and Mazda. So naturally, we looked to the Cobb AP as the best solution. I can't think of another company that has invested as much time, and resources supporting the Subaru community than Cobb tuning...some of the smartest people in this industry work there, and it's get to have those resources at our disposal.

I had a feeling the OEM tune was horrible, based on how the car performed on the track and street. So I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the baseline.

As most of you know, our Dyno Dynamics AWD Dyno reads very low. Bone stock, we put down just 196whp.

I then loaded up the Cobb Stage1 93 octane OTS map and the car made 238whp, and had a terrific looking power and AF curve.

In the final step, I prepared a custom calibration for this specific car. Althought I've tuned many dozens of Subaru's, this it actually the first time I've tuned a BONE STOCK STi...really wasn't sure what to expect. Nearly maxing out the WG's netted my 19psi peak pressure and a taper to 15psi, and 256whp/301lb/ft

Below, you will find an assortment of dyno charts for your viewing pleasure.

Next up....Whiteline and GT Spec Suspension components.

Power and AF

Power and Trq

Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
So, you guys increased boost roughly 33%, and saw a power gain of roughly 33%.

What are the long term plans for the vehicle? Built engine? Bigger turbo? etc. etc.

Were all the dynos done with the aftermarket wheels already on the car?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

Speaking of suspension...haha...just got some high res shots back rom our Road Atlanta test day couple weeks ago. The body lean is so severe you could change the oil cresting at Turn 3.

Moving into position.

All is well, in the balance of power:
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
travis@forged
Former Sponsor

From looking at all those pictures at the track the team decided enough is enough. Time to install some goodies!

Here are some teaser pictures of what we are working on today. As you can see Sharif, and crew have a whole lot of work to do! I think we are going to need another table for all of our stuff. haha

Stay tuned for more updates and feedback soon!

Tray

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: 2011 STi Sedan MONSTER Build **check back often**