Old 02-02-2022, 01:06 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Abysmal Handling in Snow/Winter

abysmal
ə-bĭz′məl

adjective:

1. Resembling an abyss in depth; unfathomable.
  2. Very profound; limitless.
  3. Very bad.

Despite my slight exaggeration, it should not be understated how disappointed I am with this new car (to me) being so awful to drive in the snow and winter conditions... here in Colorado. Let's talk about this. Is it just me, or do others struggle to find acceptable levels of performance, handling, and general daily driving in snow and icy conditions?

To put this in context, this is not my first rodeo. Not with cars and not with the weather. It's not the driver. Born and raised here, been driving a variety of cars in the same weather on my own for 20+yrs. I certainly don't want to come on here and trash my new car/hobby, but the handling characteristics in the snow are downright scary and I need to find out if there's something wrong with my car or if there's something I could be doing differently/better, or if it's just a sh*t design and not one of the G37's best-known features lol sorta like how the 7AT seems to have a reputation for overall sucky, inconsistent jerky behavior...

Compared to previous cars I've driven in this snowy weather, my G37x probably ranks BENEATH at least two FWD cars I had, one with snow tires and one without. 1998 Honda Prelude and a 2016 Ford Focus ST. Both of those were better in the snow than my AWD, traction control "snow mode" 2010 Infiniti. What gives? The fact that I even have to put the G into "snow mode" to get out of my driveway or apartment complex without completing sliding all over the place is slightly concerning. I could just be frustrated, but the only cars I've had that were slightly worse in the snow than my G37x were like a BMW 328i (RWD) and maybe the F250 6.7l turbo diesel (also RWD but weighed like 7000lbs lol)

Is it just the fact that our cars weigh nearly 4000lbs?? I mean, one of the very first things I did when buying this car a few months ago was to slap a set of good-to-great tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4) on there. No, these are NOT true snow tires, but they should be better in the snow than they currently behave. I'm tempted to go buy another set of Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice just to see if that makes a world of difference or not. I just don't understand how I could be sliding so badly and not having any grip with my current car and setup. As I said, I have arguably one of the best all-season tires you can buy.... the car has AWD and a fancy traction control system, no??

Why do I feel like you HAVE to put the car into "snow mode" just to get around whereas my ex's Audi A4 (3.2l V6) circa 2009 w/ standard Quattro AWD w/ average grade tires & no "snow mode" button handles circles around a 2010 G37x??

So what can be done, if anything? As far as suspension or drivetrain "mods" over stock, I have a Whiteline rear sway bar, Z1 poly rear diff bushings, a rear diff brace (Bell), Whiteline swaybar end links, and SPC/SPL rear control arms (both). And I already mentioned the good set of tires just purchased a few months ago (Nov 2021). Short of true winter tires, studs or chains, I don't know if there's something fickle or finicky about Infiniti's AWD control system...

Thoughts/comments? I realize probably more than half of this forum has no clue what I'm experiencing (because you might live in a warmer climate and have a RWD G).

Old 02-02-2022, 01:13 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Lightbulb Ps: Fwiw

Found an interesting read: Reader Review: Infiniti G37x

I quote a part of that article about snow driving (below).... reminds me of comparing this G37x to how my 05 Subaru WRX handled (with AS or snow tires)...

My prior car was a 2004 Subaru Legacy sedan and there is a noticeable difference between Subaru’s symmetrical all-wheel drive and the AWD system on the G37x. For those that don’t know, the Subaru system sends power to all four wheels all of the time. The G37’s AWD powers only the rear wheels until they slip and then power is sent to the front as well. This is great, in that it maintains the RWD feel of the car. Still, compared to the Subaru, it is disconcerting to feel the back of the car start to slip before the AWD kicks in. At low speeds, the car can be locked in AWD with the “Snow Mode” button, but this deactivates at higher speeds. In all fairness, I only really notice problems while trying to drive on unplowed roads with more than two inches of snow on the ground. In light snow or plowed streets, the G37’s AWD is great for winter driving. I haven’t noticed any difference driving in simply wet conditions.

I wonder if there's any truth to this? About how the "snow mode" locks the AWD? That seems odd.... as if to say you're driving around in RWD mode until/unless you switch that snow mode button on?
Old 02-02-2022, 01:21 PM
terribleone
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I drive a RWD in Wisconsin winters, BUT I put good snow ties on. I wouldnt say its a dream by any means, but workable lol
Old 02-02-2022, 02:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Good story, OP, but you need snow tires.

AWD alone isn't going to make you a hero on snow & ice, regardless how good your AS tires are. I'd rather drive a FWD or RWD car with proper snow tires than any AWD car with all-seasons.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
camopaint0707 (01-15-2024), ngolbuff (02-04-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:15 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Rochester
Good story, OP, but you need snow tires.

AWD alone isn't going to make you a hero on snow & ice, regardless how good your AS tires are. I'd rather drive a FWD or RWD car with proper snow tires than any AWD car with all-seasons.
Lol I aim to please

Yes, I am fully aware that AWD alone isn't a magic pill. All Wheel Drive can often mean All Wheel Slide without good tires. All I wanted to say I guess was how disappointed I am compared to cars like an 09 Audi A4 with sh*ttier tires than mine handling snow driving better than my G37x. Hell, to your point, I've had FWD cars with decent AS tires handle better than my G is currently handling with AWD and arguably the best AS tires money can buy.

Good to know there's nothing wrong with the car I guess, it's just not the best-designed feature of our cars....

Snow tires, studs, and chains HERE WE GO/COME! lol

Blizzaks vs X-Ice. Nothing else matters.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:17 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Cool Virtual All Wheel Drive

Originally Posted by terribleone
I drive a RWD in Wisconsin winters, BUT I put good snow ties on. I wouldnt say its a dream by any means, but workable lol
Yeah, I used to joke when I had my 2016 Focus ST (FWD) that with my Michelin X-Ice tires I technically went from FWD to v-AWD (jokingly referred to as Virtual All Wheel Drive lol)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Michelin AS4 supposedly does well in light snow. What is light snow? 1-2"......?

According to that vid, it does ok in the slush, but not compacted snow. Size in vid is probably wide too. What size as4's did you get?

I work from home, but if commute was necessary, I'd invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. For now I structure my outings around the weather.
The following users liked this post:
BigSpoon (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 04:41 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Michelin AS4 supposedly does well in light snow. What is light snow? 1-2"......?

According to that vid, it does ok in the slush, but not compacted snow. Size in vid is probably wide too. What size as4's did you get?

I work from home, but if commute was necessary, I'd invest in a set of winter wheels/tires. For now I structure my outings around the weather.
Lol I know right, if "light snow" is 1-2" lmao well then yeah, I'd expect good performance from a high quality set of all-season tires from one of the best tire manufacturers out there.... Alas, I fear the snow levels and conditions here in Colorado is not where TireRack or Michelin or anyone does any tire testing lol.

I know a set of Michelin X-Ice will run circles around my Michelin AS4s.... PUN INTENDED.

I have the stock OEM sized tires on my OEM wheels (18", non-Sport G)... I think they're 225/55/18 or 225/50/18? Personally, IMHO these tires should be a little wider from the factory... shoulda given us at least 235s but better to have all 4 sitting on 245s. Although they do say the skinnier the tire, the better in the snow it will perform vs the widely known "wider is better" when it comes to dry pavement/grip.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BigSpoon
I have the stock OEM sized tires on my OEM wheels (18", non-Sport G)
The Sport Package on the RWD G came with staggered 18" wheels. That's badged as the G37S Sedan.

The Sport Package on the AWD G came with squared 18x7.5" wheels. That's badged as the G37xS Sedan.

The AWD G without the Sport Package had 17x7.5" wheels. That's badged as the G37x Sedan.

The RWD G without the Sport Package had 17x7.5" wheels. That's badged as the G37 Sedan.
BigSpoon (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:03 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 336 Likes on 272 Posts
The AWD system on the G35/G37 is an "on-demand, part time system"
The amount of front wheel torque bias is based on rear wheel slippage (reactive) and throttle position (predictive)

Most Audi's and almost all Subarus have a full time AWD system... they don't react as they are driven all the time.

As mentioned, tires are everything. There is no such thing as a car that is "bad in the snow"...
BUT there are people that have worn out snow tires / all season tires and don't understand "adhesion > friction" aka smooth and throttle.

My G is RWD with X-Ice snow tires and in Toronto the only problem I have in the snow is the 5.5" of ground clearance.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:15 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Thanks Roch.... I am such an idiot lol I wasn't paying attention... I could have sworn I had 18" OEM wheels. I am so wrong lol. TireRack is full of crap too, eh? I don't know whether I need to specify whether my G37x was built before or after this mysterious 3/2010 date.

*slaps forehead* I guess I was thinking to myself the other day staring at my car from the bedroom window, "Man those wheels look kinda small for being 18s...." lol

Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Wonder how much the stock OEM 17x7.5 wheels weigh..... cuz TireRack shows the Enkei RPF1 17x8s sitting around 15-16lbs. Normally I'd want to go with 18s, especially if I could use the bigger/better G37xS (Sport) brakes down the road.

I think any x7.5 wheel size is whack. I wonder how much better the car looks and handles with some 18x9s or at least 18x8. That's what it should have come with from the factory lol. IMHO
Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I used to run michelinx xice2 on a rwd sedan S (6mt). Mounted to 18x8 wheels, 225/50/18. The car was driveable in the snow, but not very confidence inspiring. That is, it took off without too much drama so long as throttle was light. Sometimes even took off in 2nd. Stopping was great, turning sucked *****. Tire had lots of thread on it, 7-8/32nds. This was a tire from 10 years ago. Hopefully today's xice has improved. Although if I were buying winter tires again, I'd probably go with a General tire of some sort.

I haven't had the stinger (with AS4 (245/40/18) in the snow yet. WFH affords me to skip out on such excitements.
BigSpoon (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Buy some snow tires for your stock 17's and be safe. Leave them on the wheels, don't look back.

Then before Spring, get yourself some decent 18" or 19" aftermarket wheels, with 3-season performance tires. Do the wheel swap dance twice a year.

An easy, proven mod for the Sedan is to get yourself a set of Sport Coupe 19's.
BigSpoon (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:12 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The snow mode locks the AWD from 0-20 mph and dulls the throttle response, as far as I know that's it. I'll usually put the car in manual mode and start in 2nd gear as well.

I have no issues in the snow with my G, I have Conti DWS tires on my winter wheels, but we don't piles of snow here. You really need proper winter tires.
BigSpoon (02-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Abysmal Handling in Snow/Winter