Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Rear sway worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:26 AM
Gug
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear sway worth it?

Do you guys think a rear sway is worth it? The 370z guys say its NOT worth it, and its recommended to only replace the front while leaving the rear stock. Which is the setup I have right now (hotchki front, stock rear). But I know our cars are a bit heavier and longer, so maybe it's different for us? Anyone care to chime in? I have the g37s coupe, so my stock rear is already pretty beefy compared to a regular g37.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Your stock rear swaybar is the same as the RWD Journey. The difference on the rear swaybar is RWD vs AWD.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:57 AM
Gug
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Your stock rear swaybar is the same as the RWD Journey. The difference on the swaybars is RWD vs AWD.

And absolutely it's worth it, even for daily drivers. It's probably the single best, simple and most cost effective suspension upgrade you can do to these cars. If you spend even a few minutes researching this forum, that opinion will hit you over the head. Or you could start a new thread and look to get spoonfed. Yum.

No I understand the value of sways on our cars, the front one made a massive difference on my car. But it is common knowledge (on the z forums) that the rear sway is NOT worth it, and to only do the front. This is what I'm trying to find out since our cars are similar but slightly different than the Z. This is why I'm asking if anyone has any input on this. Not looking for a thread telling me how wonderful sways are, I already know that. I just need to know if a rear sway is a waste since it IS a waste on the 370z....
Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Gug, I edited the snark out of my comment, but not quick enough apparently. After writing, I realized you were focused solely on the *rear* sway, and not front & rear upgrade. And to that... I don't know. All I do know is the rear sway differs RWD vs AWD, not Sport vs non-Sport.

Sorry. GL gathering opinions.
The following users liked this post:
Gug (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Gug
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Gug, I edited the snark out of my comment, but not quick enough apparently. After writing, I realized you were focused solely on the *rear* sway, and not front & rear upgrade. And to that... I don't know. All I do know is the rear sway differs RWD vs AWD, not Sport vs non-Sport.

Sorry. GL gathering opinions.

Appreciate the edit my dude. Was honestly going to give a sassy response until I saw you were an admin lol.

From what I've gathered, it largely depends on your tire setup. Square - keep it stock as you don't want more oversteer. Staggered - beefy boi rear sway.

If I find out differently I'll update this thread.
petemo94 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:34 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Gug

From what I've gathered, it largely depends on your tire setup. Square - keep it stock as you don't want more oversteer. Staggered - beefy boi rear sway.

If I find out differently I'll update this thread.
This has been my personal experience.

I had the same questions when getting sway bars for my car and the Z guys were right IMO.

I installed a set of Eibach sway bars and played with the settings on and off the track in my sedan.

With the front bar set to full stiff, rear to full soft, and the factory 225f/245r stagger the car felt good. The body roll was reduced greatly and I could balance the car well with a tendency towards oversteer. Which I believe is why a lot of G guys recommend both bars as it does make the car more playful.

With the same full stiff front, full soft rear, and square 245’s though the car would over steer everywhere on track. Even on the street if I applied just a touch too much throttle rolling out of a stop.

So I swapped back to the stock rear sway bar while keeping the front at full stiff and it’s perfect for my driving style on square track tires. I drive very conservatively on the street and run a stagger set up currently, and the car feels perfectly fine. The car is much more balanced and I feel like I can drive it harder without the worry of the backend always wanting to step out on me on the track.

Just to add, Rob and ZCG also recommended going only with the Hotkichs front bar, KWv3’s and some camber arms all around for a great track/street set up.

Last edited by 2.2Lude; 07-29-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Gug (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
To represent the AWD side, doing the REAR sway bar only was a great improvement. The stock rear was about pencil thin and made for a lot of body roll. Buying a used rear OEM sway bar from a sport coupe, the bar almost doubled in size. Great mod for very little money