Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Fighting the Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:20 AM
D5074r
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fighting the Wheel

So i drive an 08 g37 i find myself fightin my stearing wheel because my car be pullin to the left or the right low speed and high speed
At first i thought it was my brakes but it wasnt because i changed them
Could it be the Tie Rod or something else?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Condition & miles on your tires? Have you done any suspension work, or hit a large pothole or some other event that could have jarred your suspension?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 AM
D5074r
Registered Member

Dont even have year yet with my tires
Ill check tge suspencion
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by D5074r
Dont even have year yet with my tires
Ill check tge suspencion
What tires are you running and did you notice this recently or was it always like that? Shortly after I got my G while still on stock suspension and running stock Dunlops I brought it in to the dealer, well a couple actually, for that exact reason and both found nothing. The tires and wheels *look* fine and saw no issues with suspension components. They said it was either the tires or the "curvature of the road". Road-force balancing seemed to help a little bit but I never went away completely. The last thing they wanted to do was throw on tires from another car to see if that helped but I was done going to the dealer so I decided to sell the Dunlops and buy PSS'. The problem never completely went away and I still notice it more with my PSS summer tires on really bad roads than with my Blizzaks. Didn't see much of a change, if any, after switching from Eibach springs to coilovers.

Also, even though the tires are relatively new, measure all of them not just in the middle but on both inside and out to see if it's wearing evenly.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
A) Check the alignment for toe, both front and rear. Pay attention to thrust angle in the rear. You want as little as possible.
B) If you aren't running staggered wheels, swap front to back to see if that changes steering behavior. That would indicate tire wear issues.
C) The wider the front tires, the more they're affected by road or lane crowning. Check to see if the roads you normally drive have significant lane crowning which is typical of older asphalt paving.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:24 PM
D5074r
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
A) Check the alignment for toe, both front and rear. Pay attention to thrust angle in the rear. You want as little as possible.
B) If you aren't running staggered wheels, swap front to back to see if that changes steering behavior. That would indicate tire wear issues.
C) The wider the front tires, the more they're affected by road or lane crowning. Check to see if the roads you normally drive have significant lane crowning which is typical of older asphalt paving.
I was actually thinking bout getting an alignment had my car for a couple years now but i never done an alignment so im hoping its just that but i also do go thru ugly roads while going to work...